Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

I was out for 3:30 this morning. It was fantastic. Didn't see a fox or deer but I looved every minute.

Later I went to check a regular summer flight line for woodies making for barley fields.

It was nice. In the shade, out the wind, face mask on and sat on the ploughed edge.

20220625_120009.jpg.dedb45016f2923ad3305ff93d3579e37.jpg

Got several and some other stuff.

No need to discuss cartridge ratios, why spoil a special moment!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
54 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Stav, a year off won't hurt. You might be surprised  how many wild birds might turn up.

You may just get a few walked up days with a few friends, I'm a bit far away but thanks anyway. ? 

I’ve just got off the phone with FH and we were saying exactly the same thing, there’s still quite a few around the shoot, if the bird supplier can’t give me 400 or more then I’m going to tell him not to bother, it’s not worth the effort looking after a small number, if he only supplies around half of the 800 then they will all go in one pen and we’ll reduce the amount of drives, I’d almost like to give it a year off ( maybe that’s just me wanting the place to myself for a season) 

shame your so far away, you’d always be welcome here for a walk about ?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

I was out for 3:30 this morning. It was fantastic. Didn't see a fox or deer but I looved every minute.

Later I went to check a regular summer flight line for woodies making for barley fields.

It was nice. In the shade, out the wind, face mask on and sat on the ploughed edge.

20220625_120009.jpg.dedb45016f2923ad3305ff93d3579e37.jpg

Got several and some other stuff.

No need to discuss cartridge ratios, why spoil a special moment!

I've just checked out some barley fields and its nice and milky now. There was about 200 woodies dropping in to a flat patch so will give it a go tomorrow ?

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I've just checked out some barley fields and its nice and milky now. There was about 200 woodies dropping in to a flat patch so will give it a go tomorrow ?

Just driving home bout an hour ago I saw loads of woodys flattening the barley, looked like they were taking it in turns to jump from a sitty tree to flatten a safe area bout 20 yard into the field?

• Like 2

This airgun is like a laser!

20220625_200329.jpg.af9cb6f66af9a2216c06956709f797d9.jpg

Back on the pest job.

8 rabbits, one Jackie and 6 woodies. All off hand to a max 60yds. This one is coming home to be cooked. 49 big strides off hand.20220625_203626.jpg.e75328253fc30a8d3c012309282a7e2c.jpg20220625_203911.jpg.988fb08471d81d2aead157ac2bd093c1.jpgI've tickled the trigger a little more and I think it's the limit for this cheap unit!

I've polished the piston. There was some high spots. It's a lot smoother now and less twangy. Could do with scope a little more forward!

Quite pleased.

• Like 9

Well, not been able to take FH up on his kind offer at a look out for some gingers due to having to be home early, I thought I’d have a walk around the sheep farm, took the .223 and the .17 as the farmer said there was a few rabbits about around the front of the farm, I managed half a dozen and then thought I’d give the back fields a go with the caller, nothing showed and as the sun was setting the thunder started to rumble and the dark clouds told me it was time to head back to the motor, I made it back to the car just in time to enjoy an amazing sunset following by a thunderstorm ?

03D2510D-7457-4125-8CCF-F10859632A7E.jpeg

9C0B7024-F852-490E-99D5-2EA9C784051E.jpeg

A1658D7A-64CD-49C0-97F1-796BC9EBCBDB.jpeg

• Like 7

My daughter did some homework were you had to draw up a 'wanted' poster for a baddy. Nancy did something a bit different.... apparently she got points for "thinking out of the box" (phrase for twatś) and she got chance to explain to class (and no doubt clueless teacher) why she chose to do it. ?

20220625_092155.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7
50 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

My daughter did some homework were you had to draw up a 'wanted' poster for a baddy. Nancy did something a bit different.... apparently she got points for "thinking out of the box" (phrase for twatś) and she got chance to explain to class (and no doubt clueless teacher) why she chose to do it. ?

20220625_092155.jpg

Brilliant, I love that??

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

20220625_092155.jpg

Did the teacher cross the dead word out?

• Haha 1

I tried for those woodies today but the wind spoilt the day. The only place I could set up was with the wind wrong so I had a 20 mph wind in my face blowing the hide all over and really annoying me.?

The birds wouldnt decoy and were screaming over very high with the wind up their arse....

I never shot very well either but did pull off some crackers too ?

Managed 26 in the end but couldn't pick most of them due to dropping in cover.

Anyway beats sitting in the house ?

20220626_145010.jpg

• Like 6