Back up at the shoot

Hugo’s dad has just rang me, said the keeper is over the moon with what we shot last night and we can have all the rabbit shooting on the estate, woohoo ?? I better see if I can get hold of some .17 ammo now ?

• Like 5

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Hugo’s dad has just rang me, said the keeper is over the moon with what we shot last night and we can have all the rabbit shooting on the estate, woohoo ?? I better see if I can get hold of some .17 ammo now ?

Result ? Just use the .22 if after numbers as a lot cheaper. Be careful though it takes up a lot of time keeping numbers down in an infested area .

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Result ? Just use the .22 if after numbers as a lot cheaper. Be careful though it takes up a lot of time keeping numbers down in an infested area .

I said I’d take the 22 next time I go up and the .17 for the lad, I can only go with him, he’s made sure he’s got it boxed off so he has to be there ( can’t blame him for that ) I said I’d get the ammo for the .17 but he will have to pay for it, which he’s fine with, nice to have somewhere to go over the summer when most of my land is in crop and where there’s some really good numbers ?

• Like 4

There’s a few of them have turned up around the shoot recently, you would see them around Harrogate and York but they are definitely spreading, we have buzzards around  me now and I live in a town, as you know

2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Just looked out of the window and a red kite was flying up the street ?

20220530_185401.jpg

Edited by Stavross

Makes my 3 tonight look feeble tbh ,not seen that many rabbits around here for 15/ 20 years .

After a good sit n wait session for no show fox ,the cow pasture produced these 3 for the pot .

And to take the pee saw a fox trotting merrily through town on my way home ?

20220601_015917.jpg

• Like 5

Back up on the moor tonight for another go at the rabbits, first off a stop off at the under keepers house for a cup of tea and a catch up as I haven’t seen him since he was up for a day on the pheasants with us in the winter, after and hours chat and a go at a couple of his targets, we headed out, there wasn’t much about until it got dark, then they came out, we stayed in the fields we were in last Sunday to get on top of this area first, we shot 76 this time, the picture is of the 30 or so we took away, looking across the valley with the thermal I counted 68 in one field, so we’ll have to have a go at them soon ?

DB664B02-FBAC-4D21-ADA6-47F0318F35CF.jpeg

BD8D1A27-92BC-4B6C-9F75-DEBB9170AF12.jpeg

ACDAE4B4-B048-4ED2-9222-BCC262A7BC88.jpeg

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Stavross said:

Back up on the moor tonight for another go at the rabbits, first off a stop off at the under keepers house for a cup of tea and a catch up as I haven’t seen him since he was up for a day on the pheasants with us in the winter, after and hours chat and a go at a couple of his targets, we headed out, there wasn’t much about until it got dark, then they came out, we stayed in the fields we were in last Sunday to get on top of this area first, we shot 76 this time, the picture is of the 30 or so we took away, looking across the valley with the thermal I counted 68 in one field, so we’ll have to have a go at them soon ?

DB664B02-FBAC-4D21-ADA6-47F0318F35CF.jpeg

BD8D1A27-92BC-4B6C-9F75-DEBB9170AF12.jpeg

ACDAE4B4-B048-4ED2-9222-BCC262A7BC88.jpeg

Couldn't help noticing the A17 Varmint on the table, never used the stuff, your opinion appreciated, from what I hear it just has the edge on the normal 17g V Max???

26 minutes ago, Deker said:

Couldn't help noticing the A17 Varmint on the table, never used the stuff, your opinion appreciated, from what I hear it just has the edge on the normal 17g V Max???

It’s advertised as being 100fps faster than other 17grain hmr ammo. I put some over the chrono and they were just that. As for accuracy, exactly the same as the other cci made 17grain hmr ammo in my cz.

14 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

It’s advertised as being 100fps faster than other 17grain hmr ammo. I put some over the chrono and they were just that. As for accuracy, exactly the same as the other cci made 17grain hmr ammo in my cz.

That must be a fraction more energy as well then, I think I need to find a box and give them a try!

:thumbs:

53 minutes ago, Deker said:

To be honest I didn’t notice any difference with them ( apart from the price on the box, £97 for 200 ?) we had Winchester HV’s and Hornady and they all grouped pretty similar, we used a lot more of the A17’s just because he doesn’t pay for them, the estate does

• Like 1