Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

2 hours ago, David.evans said:

Ian 

good shooting mate 

just a couple of questions 

150mm pipe ? /50mm holes ? How deep in the ground / and filled with shot rabbits etc 

most important, do they work well 

atb 

I have only just started to use these pipes so just how affective they are i don't know. What i can say is within a day of installing it i had a fox on camera. It visited three times but was wary of it. It had obviously been attracted by the smell and that is all i need. It lets me know a fox is about , which area and a rough time. 

I have dug mine in 18" into the ground and depending whether you want crows picking at the bait through the holes or not will determine how high you start the 50mm holes. I thought the crows pulling little bits through may add to the attraction for a fox but others may have different ideas.

Unfortunately there are very few rabbits around here but i had the unpleasant task of shooting a few hares last week off newly planted lettuce. When i arrived there where just over 20 eating them, i shot 5 and made a noise about doing it to try and discourage them as i don't really want to kill them. It seemed to work as they all disappeared. So i used the hare guts and heads and chopped one into small pieces to fill the pipe with. i have since topped it up with pigeons and a couple of magpies.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, ianm said:

I have only just started to use these pipes so just how affective they are i don't know. What i can say is within a day of installing it i had a fox on camera. It visited three times but was wary of it. It had obviously been attracted by the smell and that is all i need. It lets me know a fox is about , which area and a rough time. 

I have dug mine in 18" into the ground and depending whether you want crows picking at the bait through the holes or not will determine how high you start the 50mm holes. I thought the crows pulling little bits through may add to the attraction for a fox but others may have different ideas.

Unfortunately there are very few rabbits around here but i had the unpleasant task of shooting a few hares last week off newly planted lettuce. When i arrived there where just over 20 eating them, i shot 5 and made a noise about doing it to try and discourage them as i don't really want to kill them. It seemed to work as they all disappeared. So i used the hare guts and heads and chopped one into small pieces to fill the pipe with. i have since topped it up with pigeons and a couple of magpies.

That's new to me, not usually a problem finding the fox on most of my sites, but if I get a problem I'll give that a try!:thumbs:

Out yesterday morning at 4.30 am in search of a buck, still chilly and saw nothing until 6am when I spotted an old buck chasing a youngster.....no chance of a shot but nice to see. 

So out again last night on a different spot . Saw 2 mandarin ducks sat in a rough field, again lovely to see. I headed for the Cubs I found last week to see if I could get a glimpse but no joy .....been dining on lamb though....

Got really close to a tawny owl , almost tame before heading to a field for the last hour to sit and watch. Saw a big doe who casually drifted into  the wood so get myself laid up on top of a soil heap and waited. 

About 1/2 an hour later a deer emerged from where the doe had gone on so I presumed it would be her again but no on checking with the binoculars it was a young buck. 

I let him come out into the field and when he was broadside I dropped him on the spot at 90 yds  taking the top of his heart off.

20220508_191154.jpg

I've been shooting winged vermin on a farm for a couple of years now.

I shot some more yesterday.

The farmer came to me and informed me of some 130acres  near to my home, I didn't know about it I said. He told me to go and have a look around and if I like it help myself!

I've been tonight and it's a lovely piece of ground. Mostly silage, maize and pasture. I've seen rabbits, hares, pheasants, partridge, a woodcock, pigeon and rooks, oh and i found a fox earth.

20220510_190336.jpg.f0684fc185ec4aca807a30e3703e86e3.jpgHappy is an understatement!

Just need my foot to get better!

hobbit_feet.jpg.a110f047b02e5528380be1319df8919a.jpg

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

I've been shooting winged vermin on a farm for a couple of years now.

I shot some more yesterday.

The farmer came to me and informed me of some 130acres  near to my home, I didn't know about it I said. He told me to go and have a look around and if I like it help myself!

I've been tonight and it's a lovely piece of ground. Mostly silage, maize and pasture. I've seen rabbits, hares, pheasants, partridge, a woodcock, pigeon and rooks, oh and i found a fox earth.

20220510_190336.jpg.f0684fc185ec4aca807a30e3703e86e3.jpgHappy is an understatement!

Just need my foot to get better!

hobbit_feet.jpg.a110f047b02e5528380be1319df8919a.jpg

Belter when something like that comes your way ?

get them feet shaved and get at it

• Like 1

Been up to re-do the trap at the horse paddocks, now we’ve had one small vixen from here in the trap so far, I’ve not had time to go up with the rifle with working 7 days a week because I’m that far behind but with a bit of luck I’ll get up this weekend, he’s had another chicken killed and it took a bit of explaining that the fox will kill what’s outside rather than going in the trap for it, I’ve met 2 of the other lads up there and they both seem spot on and are happy for me to go in there fields, I’ve been told the time that they all leave and lock up and where to park out the way, the amount of fox sh*t that’s about I’m guessing there’s a few about

on another note, I’ve just got myself another knife, now I always liked Buck knives but after seeing these outdoor edge knives I’m well impressed with them, made from AUS-8 stainless, they guarantee that you can shave with it out the box but I’ll take their word for that, I haven’t used it in anger yet but it’s bloody sharp

02633BF0-A19C-4B18-AC21-FCC51170396E.jpeg

25030085-A1C2-4189-82C1-378440F848FC.jpeg

96FA63C6-E003-47A0-B2DE-A541CC4DCE0B.jpeg

B88BB091-FCE4-411F-A4AF-04D956851EB8.jpeg

• Like 3