Back up at the shoot

12 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Refuse 

OK what if you didn't initially discover his heritage. You go there couple of times, some cracking animals, meet him once or twice think he's a sound guy, just leaves you to it. Then weeks later you find out he's a traveller- would you suddenly stop going? 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

OK what if you didn't initially discover his heritage. You go there couple of times, some cracking animals, meet him once or twice think he's a sound guy, just leaves you to it. Then weeks later you find out he's a traveller- would you suddenly stop going? 

Never going to happen....you must live in cuckoo land.

Got my principles and standards and stick to them ?

That's good going mate, just as important for ground nesters as controlling fox & corvids. 

I've a few traps out but apart from rats I'm not having much success- any tips? 

4 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

That's good going mate, just as important for ground nesters as controlling fox & corvids. 

I've a few traps out but apart from rats I'm not having much success- any tips? 

Well I’ve not done too well with the Larsens so far this year. Only a few of each crows and magpies and a badger pulled a hole in the wire twice trying to get at the call birds food on one trap, and released my only crow. As for fenns, I’m getting plenty of rats. As there’s nothing in the pheasant feeders at the moment it’s just a matter of setting them where the runs are and a bit of wheat sprinkled inside the tunnel draws a few in as well.

• Like 1

When I used to trap with Fenns years ago , once I made a catch I would rub the weasels/stoats genitals on the plate and would usually catch its mate the next day.

Also I used to put 2 traps in a tunnel and often got 2 victims trapped ?

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

When I used to trap with Fenns years ago , once I made a catch I would rub the weasels/stoats genitals on the plate and would usually catch its mate the next day.

Also I used to put 2 traps in a tunnel and often got 2 victims trapped ?

Yerr, shame we can’t use fenns to target stoats any more? Shovel Leaner had a good set up for squirrels with four entrances and four fenn traps and caught multiples in that. I was thinking of copying his design but haven’t got around to it yet. To be honest though, I much prefer to shoot squirrels as I like the sport they offer?

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Yerr, shame we can’t use fenns to target stoats any more? Shovel Leaner had a good set up for squirrels with four entrances and four fenn traps and caught multiples in that. I was thinking of copying his design but haven’t got around to it yet. To be honest though, I much prefer to shoot squirrels as I like the sport they offer?

I know what you mean I would rather shoot them too ?

Back to the farmers that breeds our ducks and pheasants tonight. I had seen one on the trail cam overlooking the stink pipe. It was a barren vixen, I got a bonus dog fox just down the road from me on my way home.

92636465-7A01-416D-B4C9-AB080D8FCAD9.jpeg

0E3F6C0F-19AA-4527-B3F8-27BA1D01D424.jpeg

• Like 4