Back up at the shoot

8 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Just seen my first swallow of 2022, summer on its way! 

There’s some old brick buildings on one of my farms and they’re full of swallows nesting every year. Great to see, they shit all over everything in the building, but I could watch them for hours??

• Like 2

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Had a frustrating night like yours S.d ,took a wabbit to bait up ,started calling and in it ran a small fox.

For whatever reason it suddenly stopped turning round and legged it through a ditch ?.

Well frustrating ? 

20220422_225151.jpg

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Had a frustrating night like yours S.d ,took a wabbit to bait up ,started calling and in it ran a small fox.

For whatever reason it suddenly stopped turning round and legged it through a ditch ?.

Well frustrating ? 

20220422_225151.jpg

Ate you in Australia mate?

• Haha 6

I've had a bit of a swap around.

I was never happy with the add on on this hawke scope on the 457 so I tried it on the 455 which has a 3-9 redfield I got off baldcoot a couple of years ago and do you know what, it seems much better and simpler some how! So I've had to rezero two rifles, not easy to find somewhere out of this wind but I think we are good to go now but after a quick check in the dark later.

• Like 2

Up at 2am this morning and on my mates ground by 5am just as it was starting to break light. On entering the farm I scanned some fields with the thermal and could see 3 separate deer up hedgerows. We stalked carefully in the half gloom but all 3 turned out to be does. It was now daylight so we headed for a nearby wood where I saw a decent buck a fortnight ago. As we skirted the wood we spotted 2 bucks in the wheat but not shootable , my mate got on his quad sticks and I told him to wait until the clean buck of the 2 moved into a shooting position . We didnt have to wait long and he went straight down ?

Next we headed to a small restock that the forester wants all deer removed from. After stalking down towards the bottom edge I glassed 2 roe couched up in the morning sun ...buck and doe. We stalked in to our shooting position which was 213 yds ...checked with rangefinder. The doe was looking in our direction and I didnt think we could close the gap so I asked my mate if he was confident .................Yes was the reply.

The buck rolled over on the spot .............so another successful outing with a brace accounted for.

DSC00234 - Copy.JPG

DSC00237.JPG

• Like 3
On 23/04/2022 at 17:45, FOXHUNTER said:

Up at 2am this morning and on my mates ground by 5am just as it was starting to break light. On entering the farm I scanned some fields with the thermal and could see 3 separate deer up hedgerows. We stalked carefully in the half gloom but all 3 turned out to be does. It was now daylight so we headed for a nearby wood where I saw a decent buck a fortnight ago. As we skirted the wood we spotted 2 bucks in the wheat but not shootable , my mate got on his quad sticks and I told him to wait until the clean buck of the 2 moved into a shooting position . We didnt have to wait long and he went straight down ?

Next we headed to a small restock that the forester wants all deer removed from. After stalking down towards the bottom edge I glassed 2 roe couched up in the morning sun ...buck and doe. We stalked in to our shooting position which was 213 yds ...checked with rangefinder. The doe was looking in our direction and I didnt think we could close the gap so I asked my mate if he was confident .................Yes was the reply.

The buck rolled over on the spot .............so another successful outing with a brace accounted for.

DSC00234 - Copy.JPG

DSC00237.JPG

Looks like you’ve been having a right time of it ? good on ya

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

Any of you lot going to the Northern Shooting Show ?

I hate shows .....full of wannabe Rambos parading round  in camo and ridiculous queues of traffic getting in and out .....not to mention the extortionate price of burgers ??

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I hate shows .....full of wannabe Rambos parading round  in camo and ridiculous queues of traffic getting in and out .....not to mention the extortionate price of burgers ??

I don’t go to many, but I like the shooting show, it’s easy to get in and out of and I get to meet up with a few people I don’t see very often ( networking, getting invites for shooting ?) I know what you mean about the camo crew and the over priced refreshments, I’m going on Sunday this year  and with the people I’m meeting there I’m expecting it to cost me an arm and a leg in tea’s and coffees to get what I want from them?