Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

He tried to give me another gun too but politely refused. Theres a Baikal 12 bore sbs going free too.

My first double was a Baikal.  Couldn't shoot it at all, blamed the chokes so I cut it down to 24&1/8"" barrels, cylinder and cylinder. Still couldn't shoot it ?‍♂️

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Going out in the morning again on the crows , see if I can shoot with it ?

Well, either way, you can’t go far wrong Mark. Got it for nowt and if it shoots where you’re pointing it that’s great. If not you can probably swap it for something else similar. Not many seem to want old sbs guns which is better for us that do.? I’ve got a couple of ugartechea’s, not worth much money but I like ‘em and they work for me. One thing I do know, if I spent fifty grand on a new shotgun I wouldn’t shoot any better with it?

• Like 4

Just been out local for couple of hours before dark and got talking to the farmer and his son. His son asked me if I could get him some venison, I told him that the next one was his. 

Off he went and literally 2 mins later I spied a buck in the next field , quick stalk down the back of a hedge and I was soon on the bipod watching him come closer , he turned broadside and job done ?

20220418_204729.jpg

• Like 4

Well I took a stroll with the Franchi and some reloads, I need to use up my old reloading components, they've been sitting around for decades!

I just scooped about 22gns of Alliant green dot into the  cases and dropped  an ounce of shot on a fibre wad and cards.

Worked out well.

20220419_151837.jpg.84d014c6329cefe4c7db7bd80d75e961.jpg

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Well I took a stroll with the Franchi and some reloads, I need to use up my old reloading components, they've been sitting around for decades!

I just scooped about 22gns of Alliant green dot into the  cases and dropped  an ounce of shot on a fibre wad and cards.

Worked out well.

20220419_151837.jpg.84d014c6329cefe4c7db7bd80d75e961.jpg

Think I’m gonna have a go at loading steel, from what I can gather the yanks load way hotter than us so I’ll have a look into it?

bought a slab of steel off a mate cheap other day and was well pissed off, didn’t realise they were plastic wad till I went and picked me decoys up?

27 minutes ago, si brown said:

Think I’m gonna have a go at loading steel, from what I can gather the yanks load way hotter than us so I’ll have a look into it?

bought a slab of steel off a mate cheap other day and was well pissed off, didn’t realise they were plastic wad till I went and picked me decoys up?

All steel is in a plastic wad mate. That's why it's all nonsense! 

Even the degradable wads have questions unanswered! Like what exactly is the residue left behind etc.

3 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

All steel is in a plastic wad mate. That's why it's all nonsense! 

Even the degradable wads have questions unanswered! Like what exactly is the residue left behind etc.

Been using the black gold bio wad for last two seasons, good killer.. the bioammo not so good though and the cartridges certainly don’t breakdown before your eyes? bloody expensive though:(

C422F786-C463-4EB8-972C-7536BBA2DAC5.jpeg.e640162b7e41d07e9a9fc63b979faaab.jpeg

• Like 3

Just had a walk out today, I’ve got some traps running only a fifteen minute walk from my house. Just one rat caught and as the sun was really starting to show a bit of warmth again, I carried on walking down into the next village. Called in at the dixies and treated myself to a drop of black sheep and a bag of dry roasted, sat watching the rooks in the rookery across the road. Bloody grand it was, spring is on the way??

B8F0C2F9-22E9-46B4-9B3A-AF8C1FFD2C0E.jpeg

• Like 9