Back up at the shoot

Pellet was about £340 last year, I’d expect another £100 a tonne this year, I’m working next door to my shoot secretary today and talking to him, he knows of 4 syndicates that ether can’t get birds or can’t afford them and are looking for days now

• Sad 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Keep the vermin down and let the birds breed a few

That's exactly what I'm doing at work mate. He's keen on me to do it more & more, paying me a bit more too. Got more traps out than ever before, zero my new hmr tomorrow ?. Lucky I get wheat from next door, mates rates. 

Put few duck tubes out too. Counted few skylarks & yellowhammers today & goldfinches nesting in woods. Not just the game that benefits. 

20220328_150602.jpg

20220411_144841.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
17 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Well I'm right off the beaten track with no footpaths around and suddenly a skater boy with his skateboard appears so I sent him on his way ? Feckin idiot walking down the side of a wheat field ffs

? it’s mental where randomers pop up… I had a lass ride through my pigeon pattern one day, she didn’t even notice me in the hide?

• Haha 4
14 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Well I'm right off the beaten track with no footpaths around and suddenly a skater boy with his skateboard appears so I sent him on his way ? Feckin idiot walking down the side of a wheat field ffs

People always want to be where they shouldn’t be and when you tell them to sod off they look at you as if your the idiot 

collected my share of them bucks off longshanx today, he’s a good egg all prepped and vacuum sealed ?

EB4F78BD-6B59-423F-ADE4-561CEB7C962C.jpeg

• Like 7
1 hour ago, si brown said:

? it’s mental where randomers pop up… I had a lass ride through my pigeon pattern one day, she didn’t even notice me in the hide?

She probably went home to her mam "there's some weird bloke hiding in hedge down the lane. I rode like hell & pretended I hadn't seen him!" ??

• Haha 4

Good Friday .....not for me as my shotgun broke this morning in the middle of my crow busting session ?

Shot from 6am to 10 am with the birds coming steady when my shotgun broke ....lost a screw and the triggers wont fire ?

Had to pack up on 63 with birds over the decoys....... well pi$$ed off.....

20220415_102110.jpg

20220415_102734.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
30 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Good Friday .....not for me as my shotgun broke this morning in the middle of my crow busting session ?

Shot from 6am to 10 am with the birds coming steady when my shotgun broke ....lost a screw and the triggers wont fire ?

Had to pack up on 63 with birds over the decoys....... well pi$$ed off.....

20220415_102110.jpg

20220415_102734.jpg

Oh no, that's awful,  nothing worse when they are throwing themselves at you. You need a muzzleloader ?

My grandson kept asking for us to go foxing while he is off school so i decided to take him on Wednesday night. I knew there was a fox knocking about at one particular farm that i go to, so we went there. It didn't take long to spot it mooching along a double hedge . It was perhaps a couple of hundred yards away but cattle kept walking into the line of fire. I put the caller on to try to keep it in the vicinity whilst the cattle moved on. Luckily they did so just as it decided to come a little closer and sit on a big pile of hardcore which i use for zeroing. The 243 made short work of a dog fox at 145 yards.   

IMG_9990.JPG

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I know it's very infuriating. I would definitely have done the tonne . 2nd time its happened to me , last time I was on 92 and they were streaming in ??

I can lend you one of them new fangled shotguns if you want, you could always shoot it sideways if it makes you feel better ??

• Haha 3