Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Same last night ,lambs in the fields, no moon bound to be a fox about. No not a 1 ,?sky dark ,cold no wind but couldn't find a fox if I'd put an add on gumtree. 

That's hunting for you ,still the keebab on the way home was nice ? ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Bugger, forgot about that, it looks like a trip out later this afternoon on my own because no one want to come out and play ☹️?

Your mum doesn't need an emergency fan belt from the garage Stav but if you want to get her an expensive smelly petrol is available ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just asked a young lad if he wants to come to the shoot this afternoon as he has asked me quite a lot to come out with me, told him we’d go about 3 have a look for a deer, then when we’d lost the light we could have a call for a fox and I’d take the .17 so he could shoot a few rabbits. He said could we go tomorrow because he is watching the rugby later, NO, would be the answer to that, what is wrong with these people, I used to spend all my time telling people no, when they were begging to come out with me, now I can’t buy a mate ?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
36 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Better off on your own mate ?Years ago sometimes I  used to ring 3 or 4 to go out lamping and when Ikept getting the answer NO I decided Feck them all and went solo. Better results and better craic ??

It’s just nice sometimes to be out with someone, even better if it’s someone I can pass a bit of knowledge onto, it’s just not like it used to be, when I could ring half a dozen people and everyone would say yes and they would just be happy to be out, now most of the time they say no or it’s yes, but they can’t go until a certain time and have to be back for such an such time, that’s no good to me, I’m the one doing them a favour, there’s very few young ones now that will put the effort in like we did when we were their age, I used to go out with one lad many years ago and we wouldn’t go out until after 1am, I don’t know anyone I could get to do that now

2 hours ago, Stavross said:

It’s just nice sometimes to be out with someone, even better if it’s someone I can pass a bit of knowledge onto, it’s just not like it used to be, when I could ring half a dozen people and everyone would say yes and they would just be happy to be out, now most of the time they say no or it’s yes, but they can’t go until a certain time and have to be back for such an such time, that’s no good to me, I’m the one doing them a favour, there’s very few young ones now that will put the effort in like we did when we were their age, I used to go out with one lad many years ago and we wouldn’t go out until after 1am, I don’t know anyone I could get to do that now

I know what you mean , when I was younger I was out nearly every night with my mate. Now he doesnt shoot at all. I have always been super keen and literally dont know anyone now as keen as me and out as much as me .....perhaps they are a dying breed.

I think we are a dying breed, I don’t know anyone who is out as much as me and you, there a couple on here like mr sausage, but no young’uns, I think life just gets in the way for most people 
I’ve just set off for a look about now, I got here at 4 but have just spent 45 minutes putting the old girls bird box back up and cleaning her guttering out ? every time I come there’s another job to do, you wouldn’t think she has a son just down the road 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well I never managed to drop a deer, I stalked into a fallow doe on one of the fields over the piggeries getting to within 200 meters of it, I wasn’t completely happy with the shot and I’m glad I didn’t take the shot as I spotted some dog walkers coming into the field from the campsite, now they are not meant to be in there, but they just think they can go where they want, by the time they had gone back into the campsite the doe had moved into the wood. Heading back to the piggeries wood I’d now lost the light and could see 3 deer along the edge of the wood through the thermal  ☹️ Putting the caller out I gave it 45 minutes but no fox showed so I headed back to the farm, the long way round, seen a few more deer and then the unmistakable heat signature of a fox in next doors field, now I couldn’t work out how far away it was but could see it through the scope on the .243 with the lamp on it ( just ) so I had a go, by the way it reacted I think I shot just under it, I’d take a guess that it was well over 400 yards away and if it had of been on my field I would of tried to call it in but where it was there was very little chance of getting it to come to me and if you don’t have a go, you will never know ?

96998EE0-6524-4FC5-8943-40B3875EB56B.jpeg

6517CF29-D2C9-4B1E-8567-313EEAFF035C.jpeg

D4DD7CBA-3C83-467A-81E5-9CCFDEA67DB1.jpeg

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Stavross said:

I think we are a dying breed, I don’t know anyone who is out as much as me and you, there a couple on here like mr sausage, but no young’uns, I think life just gets in the way for most people 
I’ve just set off for a look about now, I got here at 4 but have just spent 45 minutes putting the old girls bird box back up and cleaning her guttering out ? every time I come there’s another job to do, you wouldn’t think she has a son just down the road 

Yerr, ‘tis true. Too many other things needing to be done, but that’s life....

• Like 1