Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Stavross said:

This afternoon’s outing was a trip up to some land with Longshanx, getting there around 4pm we headed straight for a small wood at the top of a large field where deer were seen grazing yesterday, now this spot is not ideal as it’s very open getting to it. We got to where we thought they would come out into the sheltered area in front of the trees and sat down in the field and waited, after half an hour the plan was to go for a walk as nothing had showed, as I lifted from the ground and glassed along the trees I noticed a deer, then another 2, we were not close enough for a shot so it was hands and knees to the hedge back with the intention of walking along to get closer, the deer were very skittish and soon disappeared back into the wood. Taking advantage of this we made our way to the edge of the wood and waited, it wasn’t long before a buck appeared closely followed by 2 doe’s, now these were a long way off, after 10 minutes or so one of the doe’s presented a shot so longshanx took the shot, a clean miss, you could tell how far away they were as the deer didn’t even flinch, once they moved on we edged a little further forward, now starting to lose the light another mature doe came out onto the wheat field followed by a young doe, not able to get any closer longshanx took the mature doe first, No miss this time the animal dropped on the spot, reloading we wait for what seemed like an eternity for the young doe to present a shot, in reality it was a couple of minutes, this one too dropped on the spot, collecting the deer, the mature doe was 187 paces and the young one 170, both perfect shot placement, the young animal was a fantastic shot, it would not stand still and the second it did stop, down it went, so with both of them unzipped it was time to drag them out the field to a gateway where longshanx could get the motor to, once he walked the mile back to the farm to get it ? a quality afternoon out ?

FBB15165-1623-4D68-A9C0-CD4AF8CB5939.png

48A956EF-558E-4A90-95C4-3E9FC8AF2431.jpeg

FB7F0D5C-9EB8-4A78-8A7E-751E27CE21F2.jpeg

Great write up mate.

Glad I managed to get their on the Saturday for a good walk around and have a good glass of the area. Made it worth while seeing where they were potentially holding up in the wood.

What made it harder was there was only one position to shoot due to the lack of backstop in other directions.

It felt like an eternity and going scope blind waiting for the young one. I put pressure on myself knowing I only had one round left, so had to make sure it was a clean kill. It was a relief she dropped on the spot. 

Great afternoon, even more so when you come home with meat for the freezer.

Edited by Longshanx
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Longshanx said:

I put pressure on myself knowing I only had one round left, so had to make sure it was a clean kill. 

I never go stalking without a minimum of 10 rounds as you never know how many you will need. Always better to have more than not enough. What would you have done if you had only wounded that 2nd doe and neeed a 2nd shot ? 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I never go stalking without a minimum of 10 rounds as you never know how many you will need. Always better to have more than not enough. What would you have done if you had only wounded that 2nd doe and neeed a 2nd shot ? 

Sent stav in!

Northerners for you.

I dropped an hmr round in some logs yesterday. No chance of recovery.  I cried for over half an hour ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Yeah, lesson learned there to be honest. Usually a full mag of 4 is all I usually need as I don't often get that opportunity. Fortunately, the shot placement was good and a clinical shot.

Will be taking a second mag from now on though.

• Like 3