Back up at the shoot

35 minutes ago, Stavross said:

The missus is working on her presentation for an interview at work for a promotion so I was at a bit of a loose end today, so after food shopping and a bit of a tidy round I thought I’d have a run up the shoot, bit of feed and a walk around, when I got there I went to get the bike out and by the time I’d got back in the yard the old girl was waiting for me, 45 minutes later ? after I got the full weather report and the deaths in the past week and all the damage the rally had done last weekend I set out to feed my couple of spots, my god there’s still some birds about. After feeding and shooting a couple of squizzers with the .22 I headed back to the yard, put the bike away and swapped the .22 for the .17hmr as there’s a few rabbits kicking about and someone asked me for a hare, I had a good walk shooting half a dozen rabbits and I got my hare, I’d almost forgotten how much blood comes out of them, it looked like a murder scene, while walking around I was having a good look for the deer with the thermal,  no fallow but I did come across a small group of roe just as I’d lost the light, now I’m sure if I’d of had one of them posh C50’s I’d of been able to see them in dusk mode, but that’s irrelevant as I don’t have one and I had the .17 with me, maybe it’s time to treat myself and put it on the .243 ( only once I’ve got a good cash job on the go ?)

595D4E9E-5FD5-4A2F-8B71-33CF16F09B19.jpeg

The trusty cash jobs :)

I use to tell the x mrs all sorts of ? about where all me new gizmos were coming from as no money ever came out of the bank… the best one was I swapped a pallet of cement for a 3k mountain bike?

• Haha 5

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

1 hour ago, si brown said:

The trusty cash jobs :)

I use to tell the x mrs all sorts of ? about where all me new gizmos were coming from as no money ever came out of the bank… the best one was I swapped a pallet of cement for a 3k mountain bike?

I tell my missus I sell my body in grimy Nottingham to fund my habit...

hence why I'm buying 2nd hand side by sides for £70 off some bloke in a Newark car park!! 

• Haha 2
59 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Good luck to Mrs. S ? 

Cheers, D.

I keep saying she’s my retirement plan, but in reality the pay rise probably means her Audi S3 will be getting swapped for an RS3, it’s strange how she gets further up the ladder but my life never gets any easier ☹️?

• Haha 3
16 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:
16 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

I tell my missus I sell my body in grimy Nottingham to fund my habit...

hence why I'm buying 2nd hand side by sides for £70 off some bloke in a Newark car park!! 

Did she not want to know where you got the other 69 quid from ?

Edited by Stavross
  • Haha 6

Speaking of the C50 I was out last night with my mate and his to try it out for the 1st time. The weather conditions weren't favourable with the full moon , it was like daylight. My initial impression was that I was underwhelmed , I thought the picture was grainy and not as clear as I would have liked. Unable to use the onboard IR as it just bounced back off his mod. Anyway as it was so light decided to us it without IR. We climbed up on top of the barn and started calling with nothing showing until about half an hour . I had his thermal to spot and he was shooting. I noticed a fox coming in nice and steady but he couldn't find it in the scope , I kept giving directions but he just couldn't pick it up , no ir to give eye shine so was very difficult. I was getting very frustrated by now as if lamping it would have been shot a lot earlier. Anyway eventually it stood 20 yds from the caller with vixen mating call playing , he must of wondered where the vixen was ? Eventually my mate spotted it and over he went. We were lucky to get him I think , the faffing about was unreal. Anyway cant judge off one outing with no IR and full  moon so will wait until get a dark night and he buys a laser and sorts out the glareback from the Mod. Any suggestions  on a laser , thinking Solaris or Sirius ? Any tips on solving mod glareback ?

DSC00188.JPG

• Like 1

I use a night saber wraith laser ir and they are very good, they are variable power with the on/off switch on the tail cap, I’ve never had any problems with bounce back off the mod with the laser, I’ve got another one, a PBIR laser if he wants to borrow one to see what it’s like with a laser ir before he parts with his hard earned 

When I have gotten  glare from a lamp shining on a mod I have wrapped the mod in those matt coloured stretchy bandages.

I have no idea if it will absorb IR though.

Another thing I have done is position the light source so that the objective bell casts a shadow over the mod.

• Like 1