Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Do you run any traps mate? I've noticed pairs or crows sat in trees, or calling to say this is there patch. I'll dust my larsens off in couple weeks.

I find spring time my favourite for shooting. I know most folk like autumn but I just love killing corvids & foxes when I know birds are nesting. 

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Do you run any traps mate? I've noticed pairs or crows sat in trees, or calling to say this is there patch. I'll dust my larsens off in couple weeks.

I find spring time my favourite for shooting. I know most folk like autumn but I just love killing corvids & foxes when I know birds are nesting. 

There’s a couple of larsens at the farm, forestry won’t let me put them in between the timber, because they are idiots 

• Sad 1
21 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I love the Spring too when the world is just waking up again and their is the rebirth of new life ? Plus I love getting out at dawn for the roe bucks ?

I look forward to all the seasons for different reasons, late warm summer evenings sat out in a t shirt after foxes on the stubble, late winter / early spring rabbit shooting, winter game season and autumn when the cubs are making their own way in life but are still as thick as sh*t, saying all that I’m getting a bit sick of winter now, I wouldn’t mind if it was proper winter, but it’s just wind and rain ☹️

• Like 2

Did my duty today and showed my face up at the sheep farm for a go at the pigeons, not many about but they have battered a field of rape, did a few hours in the wind and rain, they wouldn’t decoy in that wind coming across the field low and fast, with a flick of a wing they were gone, but at least I got a couple for fox bait, they have started lambing now so the next week to 10 days as long as the weather is ok they’ll be out in the fields so a few evenings looking out over them might produce a fox or 2

12E40F5C-141C-40E7-88B5-09C6B28D9B44.jpeg

1291702E-209F-422E-94D9-002C3DFB91E0.jpeg

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

Did my duty today and showed my face up at the sheep farm for a go at the pigeons, not many about but they have battered a field of rape, did a few hours in the wind and rain, they wouldn’t decoy in that wind coming across the field low and fast, with a flick of a wing they were gone, but at least I got a couple for fox bait, they have started lambing now so the next week to 10 days as long as the weather is ok they’ll be out in the fields so a few evenings looking out over them might produce a fox or 2

12E40F5C-141C-40E7-88B5-09C6B28D9B44.jpeg

1291702E-209F-422E-94D9-002C3DFB91E0.jpeg

Baaarbara has nice earrings ??

• Haha 3
On 05/02/2022 at 22:00, FOXHUNTER said:

Wish these 40mph winds would pi$$ off...good for nothing . Fancy next weekend if weather is better ?

Only 40mph, was hanging our washing out last week @92mph, dries real fast as long as it stays nailed to the line and not floating on the Atlantic ocean ?

• Haha 5

Well after being stuck in the house all weekend I was dying to be out mooching , the freezer is low on dog meat for Bert so I decided to look for some rabbits. On arrival at my chosen destination the weather was far from perfect , half moon and clear sky but to be honest I was glad to be out in the cold fresh air. I put in quite a few miles and managed to fill my game bag , shots were a bit farther than normal as rabbits very spooky but made for challenging shooting ..... Bert now fed for a few weeks ?

DSC00187.JPG

• Like 6

The missus is working on her presentation for an interview at work for a promotion so I was at a bit of a loose end today, so after food shopping and a bit of a tidy round I thought I’d have a run up the shoot, bit of feed and a walk around, when I got there I went to get the bike out and by the time I’d got back in the yard the old girl was waiting for me, 45 minutes later ? after I got the full weather report and the deaths in the past week and all the damage the rally had done last weekend I set out to feed my couple of spots, my god there’s still some birds about. After feeding and shooting a couple of squizzers with the .22 I headed back to the yard, put the bike away and swapped the .22 for the .17hmr as there’s a few rabbits kicking about and someone asked me for a hare, I had a good walk shooting half a dozen rabbits and I got my hare, I’d almost forgotten how much blood comes out of them, it looked like a murder scene, while walking around I was having a good look for the deer with the thermal,  no fallow but I did come across a small group of roe just as I’d lost the light, now I’m sure if I’d of had one of them posh C50’s I’d of been able to see them in dusk mode, but that’s irrelevant as I don’t have one and I had the .17 with me, maybe it’s time to treat myself and put it on the .243 ( only once I’ve got a good cash job on the go ?)

595D4E9E-5FD5-4A2F-8B71-33CF16F09B19.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1