Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Got my last day tomorrow. I have a few guests joining so I will have to keep an eye on them. But if we get a dozen tomorrow I will be happy with last day. 

Got a walk round Monday planned for guns that have helped feeding work parties etc through summer. Which will be more fun for me

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Do you have a beaters shoot Stav? Apologies if you'd posted before 

Cheers, D,

No, we used to but the people who come to beat don’t really shoot, if they want to they can on the last day, most of the beaters are members so they stand one, beat one 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Stavross said:

I’ve already had a few messages off a few members all giddy about the windy forecast, just got to hope there’s a few birds for the wind to get behind, we’ll definitely get a few days on the deer sorted?

Just knocked on my mate for the last goose flight, can’t stand up for wind in the back garden?

good luck, hope it’s not as rough inland stav

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, si brown said:

Just knocked on my mate for the last goose flight, can’t stand up for wind in the back garden?

good luck, hope it’s not as rough inland stav

It’s wild, but clear so should be a good day 

good luck on the geese ?

• Like 2

Quiet as the proverbial last night warned 3 foxes seen on the shoot  .

In nearly 5 hours not a 1 ,but more worrying instead of seeing about 30 wabbits just 2?.

I hope mixes not returning. 

Have a great day Stav and hold onto your hat ??

• Sad 1

Our last shoot today, just an afternoon thing and a duck flight afterwards. I have borrowed a 20bore for the grandson to try from my mates shop with a view to buying if it suits. I hope he gets to shoot a few today.

• Like 4

Popped out last night before the wind really picked up , it was windy but nothing like the 60 mph winds we experienced through the night. I placed out the caller and started with vixen mating call , 5 minutes in and lit up a fox that had come in unseen downwind , as I lit it up it ran off up the field and stopped around 300 yds away . I changed the call to hare distress which seemed to hold its attention so I put a sneak in on it , closing the gap to 140 yds and downwind. Got set up on the bipod and when I looked through the scope I could see the fox was now lying down facing straight at me , I waited until it lifted its head and put the pill in its bib. A decent vixen .......saw 3 last night which was a pleasant surprise. 

DSC00184.JPG

• Like 8
5 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Popped out last night before the wind really picked up , it was windy but nothing like the 60 mph winds we experienced through the night. I placed out the caller and started with vixen mating call , 5 minutes in and lit up a fox that had come in unseen downwind , as I lit it up it ran off up the field and stopped around 300 yds away . I changed the call to hare distress which seemed to hold its attention so I put a sneak in on it , closing the gap to 140 yds and downwind. Got set up on the bipod and when I looked through the scope I could see the fox was now lying down facing straight at me , I waited until it lifted its head and put the pill in its bib. A decent vixen .......saw 3 last night which was a pleasant surprise. 

DSC00184.JPG

I've just had a disastrous afternoon.  I've been working this pit hole that I realised a dog fox was lying up in. I've been stalking it all week.  Seen it once. Heard it snap a twig another time.

I was there in the dark this morning waiting for it. Nothing.

Then the wind came. So I thought I will go in the pit hole and see what happens. 

I slowly stalked in. Couple of steps and stop. Look, listen. Couple more steps, I looks across the water and there he is, 15 yards. I gets the percussion 10g on him and boom ?

Off he goes and I try a second barrel. I know he is hit.  I find blood in three places then none.

I've spent three hours looking. No dog with me. I'm very deflated.

I played it so well. Worked him out and failed miserably.

I know he is dead, just can't find him.

20220129_143112.jpg.dc3499a28af1f63945e827f2989a2b8f.jpg

• Sad 4

That's a right bummer [BANNED TEXT] Probably gone to ground somewhere.  I hate it when something is lost.  Remember a lot of years ago lamping , shot a fox but off it went. Followed a blood trail to an earth , went home and got my terrier and ended up digging it at midnight.

• Sad 1