Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Got up early and ventured out to a beech tree I call from periodically.  It's a good mile from my door.

Within five minutes of calling a good specimen of a dog fox appears down wind 35yds away!!

That was a gift. The cz 455 is a swift rifle and I can't believe  I haven't had to touch the trigger on this one!

20220123_081517.jpg.5a9f4f88caa5ce436a93be068f19fa06.jpg

• Like 10
12 hours ago, Stavross said:

Day number 7 and I wasn’t expecting a big day. When we arrived it was a lovely bright and cold day, nothing like last week, not having massive amounts of birds left we mixed it up a bit today, doing drives in different orders and doing a couple we wouldn’t normally do. First drive was the standard Gordon’s pen, as with every drive of the day there was not loads of birds but there was still some good birds and a bit of shooting, drive number 2 was the ruff patch next to Gordon’s pen that we use to hold the birds early in the season, this took a bit of time to get going but for the lads in the field next to the house they had some cracking birds over them, I decided to back gun this one because last week a few good birds curled back towards the pen, not today, I didn’t put the gun up to anything, all back to the farm for elevenses, sausage and apple pie, pork pie, cakes and some of the worst sloe gin I’ve ever tasted ? drive number 3 was forestry pen, now this was a mistake, we would normally shoot this late afternoon as the birds are heading back in, I think we only put about 3 birds out of here so lesson learned, drive number 4 was one we haven’t done for a couple of years, it’s almost next to the road towards the back of the forestry pen, so we lined the guns out and me and the shoot captain took the beaters past the block of trees and into a patch that was clear felled a few years back, this is almost impossible to beat now, me, the captain and another lad got in the thick of it and set off, almost immediately birds were getting up but a fair few of them were going the wrong way. As me and the captain went forward he stumbled over a sleeping roe doe, well the deer jumped up right in front of him, couldn’t get its bearings and went over on its back, legs up in the air, the captain let out a shout of “ fu*king hell” and also ended up with his legs in the air, while I’m laughing and shouting “ grab it, it’s in season “ ? once we got back to it and out of the ruff and into the trees quite a few birds made there way over the guns, this will definitely be a drive next season. Drive number 5 was the back of the forestry sheds, just a couple of pheasants out of here and a good few woodcock, many of the members won’t shoot at woodcock 

lunch

drive number 6, piggeries ( tree side ) I wasn’t expecting big things from this because it’s shot really well all season and they have shot the arse out of it, it even shot really well last week when Ben was up in all that fog, this week it did what I expected with half a dozen birds out, what did come out was high and very fast. Drive number 7, piggeries ( ruff side ), now the shoot captain said to me he wouldn’t mind a go, so I gave him my gun and he went right to the top and into the field, I took the beaters and we set off, from the off birds were getting up and young Josh who was walking gun in the field couldn’t get cartridges in his gun quick enough ( well that was his excuse anyway) they all got a bit of shooting here and when we got to the end I met up with the captain with his big Cheesey grin, telling me he’d downed 6, Mosh later told me that he was flagging the edge of the piggeries up from the captain and he said most of what he shot was crazy distances, I said “ don’t congratulate him, his heads big enough “. Drive 8 and the final one of the day we did the tip drive, I had a go at this one, pretty much all that came out of this one was woodcock, I managed a cracking one, I let it pass me so I knew the shot was safe and one barrel was all that was needed ?

at the end of the day we were about 28 pheasants and a couple of woodcock, not bad at all for where we are at in the season, next Saturday is the last one so fingers crossed we get to shoot a few more and have a few more laughs 

Ben, the answer to your question is ( if it makes you feel better) yes we missed you 

4139DD8A-3369-4B5A-B06E-5B11405AB202.jpeg

DFDCB248-1B77-44F5-9934-E2D92A37203C.jpeg

313278CA-9C4A-4F37-B640-EA0DBD6F03F9.jpeg

255B2EB5-67BB-411D-9207-42C4FFE58BAD.jpeg

AAEE6BED-5630-4209-B129-1340687C1588.jpeg

Great write up again Stav. Not sure what’s going on in the third picture, somebody taking their pants off ?  ?

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Got up early and ventured out to a beech tree I call from periodically.  It's a good mile from my door.

Within five minutes of calling a good specimen of a dog fox appears down wind 35yds away!!

That was a gift. The cz 455 is a swift rifle and I can't believe  I haven't had to touch the trigger on this one!

20220123_081517.jpg.5a9f4f88caa5ce436a93be068f19fa06.jpg

You seem to have plenty ? around at the minute.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

You seem to have plenty ? around at the minute.

Hmmm. A few.  I've been a little sad lately.  I have lost quite a bit of ground this last year..it feels like my world is shrinking! I was next to a piece of land I covered for 19 years. New owners and new keepers wanted me off. Same story on another estate nearby.

Last night where I was it use to be bursting with rabbits. Three I saw! Very sad if you ask me. 

• Sad 3
54 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Hmmm. A few.  I've been a little sad lately.  I have lost quite a bit of ground this last year..it feels like my world is shrinking! I was next to a piece of land I covered for 19 years. New owners and new keepers wanted me off. Same story on another estate nearby.

Last night where I was it use to be bursting with rabbits. Three I saw! Very sad if you ask me. 

Very sad . I'm in the same boat as you Mr Sausage , my empire has shrunk a lot over the years . Me and a mate used to have so much land we were spoilt for choice but through one reason or another I have a lot less now but enough to keep me occupied.

Speaking of rabbits , I ventured out last night in search of rabbits . This farm is very remote and usually holds loads of rabbits but last night there wasn't as many as expected but then again it is a lean time of year ....January.

I was speaking to the farmer who was hit hard by Storm Arwen , losing his power and broadband for 10 days . He said the weight of the snow on the cables actually snapped all of the telegraph poles. When Openreach repaired his broadband they had to lay the cables on the ground as there was no poles and the rabbits duly chewed through the cables .....1st time I've shot rabbits to protect Wi-fi ?

Anyway I did 2 laps of the farm and accounted for a few .........

DSC00182.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
47 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Very sad . I'm in the same boat as you Mr Sausage , my empire has shrunk a lot over the years . Me and a mate used to have so much land we were spoilt for choice but through one reason or another I have a lot less now but enough to keep me occupied.

Speaking of rabbits , I ventured out last night in search of rabbits . This farm is very remote and usually holds loads of rabbits but last night there wasn't as many as expected but then again it is a lean time of year ....January.

I was speaking to the farmer who was hit hard by Storm Arwen , losing his power and broadband for 10 days . He said the weight of the snow on the cables actually snapped all of the telegraph poles. When Openreach repaired his broadband they had to lay the cables on the ground as there was no poles and the rabbits duly chewed through the cables .....1st time I've shot rabbits to protect Wi-fi ?

Anyway I did 2 laps of the farm and accounted for a few .........

DSC00182.JPG

Openreach, idiots. ?