Back up at the shoot

16 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Woo hoo, been invited to shoot woodies on rape with an old friend tomorrow  morning.  Not done that for ages.

Make a change.

It is good fun, I really enjoyed it yesterday, I’m planning on a few of us going to have a go on Monday ?

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Back up to feed this morning and although a bit damp and cloudy with the temperature it was like a spring day, now as we shoot a week tomorrow I decided to take the thermal with me to give me a better look at what’s about, I was very pleased with what I seen in a couple of the drives and I wouldn’t of seen as many without the thermal, I also spotted a few deer in the thick cover over the piggeries, again I wouldn’t of seen these without the thermal, I’ve also got another ginger taking bait over the far side of the piggeries and it’s just to smart to go in the trap, so that’s another to have a call for

on another note, I wonder how SL’s getting on with his final season 

65B68757-D986-482C-8F30-85C6700D3034.jpeg

• Like 3

I was wondering about sideloader the other day.

Well the pigeon shooting was good. Only 46 birds but heck they were hard shooting.

We were on top of a hill with a pit behind us.  The birds were either coming up the hill low or from left to right with little notice at speed with the wind. By the time you got on the birds they were 50yds plus.

Had a brilliant time with an old friend, I haven't  shot with Colin for a decade or more! I'm covered in mud and stink of dog after lifting his old labrador over a fence and getting a face full of muddy dog?‍♂️, I wouldn't of changed a thing!

Sorry lads no photo this time.

• Like 7
34 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

I was wondering about sideloader the other day.

Well the pigeon shooting was good. Only 46 birds but heck they were hard shooting.

We were on top of a hill with a pit behind us.  The birds were either coming up the hill low or from left to right with little notice at speed with the wind. By the time you got on the birds they were 50yds plus.

Had a brilliant time with an old friend, I haven't  shot with Colin for a decade or more! I'm covered in mud and stink of dog after lifting his old labrador over a fence and getting a face full of muddy dog?‍♂️, I wouldn't of changed a thing!

Sorry lads no photo this time.

Side loader will be sat with his feet up chilling and thinking about that boat in Cornwall :)

you can’t beat a nice day in the fields with a good friend specially when there’s a good bag of quality birds down.. perfect day in my book sd. 

anyway happy new year?
im off t pub 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

46 is a good bag on rape this time of year ? Just being out with your old mate makes the day?

I’d be happy with 46 any time of the year with my shotgun skills ( or lack of them ?)

like you say just been out with an old mate makes the day, I’m always happier when I’m out with me old mate Mosh, 

that’s not to say I don’t mind yours or longshanx’s company now and then ??

Well after feeling better I had to go out yesterday.  I arrived at the farm with only half an hour of light left and headed straight for the small copse that always holds a couple of roe. I skirted round the copse only to see a roe bouncing up the field and over the crest,  thought my chance had gone but 200 yds further along out popped another ? Went lamping and not a fox to be seen ?

20220101_094431.jpg

• Like 7

Well I looked after my family this morning which involved a good walk however a local shoot was banging away in the distance. Then a mate sent me a photo of his lad with a duck. That was it, by the time we got home I was drooling! Besides, holiday over soon and it's my turn to get a positive test any minute!

I already had a gun ready and the possibles bag ready first thing. It was topsy-turvy muzzleloader time this time. First shot I got was a woodcock but I rushed the shot and missed. I reloaded and had to walk for two hours before Jesse's nose pointed her to some thick weeds and sure enough up burst a cock bird. I didn't rush this time and killed it in the air.

20220101_162643.jpg.afb052ede42532936aa7222e7f9b99f7.jpg

I was just wondering what to do with last loaded barrel when Jesse's nose was pointing in a thick bramble not 100yds from the first bird! So I waded into the brambles and up he went cussing at me all the way! BANG! #2in the bag.

20220101_163823.jpg.765552bc24bc69f0ae371de3d247697f.jpg

I have never know it so warm in December! It's weired!

• Like 9

Well I've just totally ball's it up royally!

I got to the baited field, took my yellow lamp and there is my fox.

Can't get a shot off the sticks due to a hedge not being low enough. Check fox again. It's come closer! Get rifle on top of fresh cut hedge red lamp on fox runs off. I think I just taught it yellow and red are the same bad news! 

Feed the site with chicken and go for a walk. Gets to far boundary and squeals. Within three good squeals Charlie turns up. A little over 100yds I shoot, nothing, no thump no fox no nothing! I searched for 45mins, nothing.

So I put some white paper on a post and pace off 100yds. Rifle is fine!

A total disaster, I've educated one/another. ?

Yours, royally fed up, Bernard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2
6 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Well I've just totally ball's it up royally!

I got to the baited field, took my yellow lamp and there is my fox.

Can't get a shot off the sticks due to a hedge not being low enough. Check fox again. It's come closer! Get rifle on top of fresh cut hedge red lamp on fox runs off. I think I just taught it yellow and red are the same bad news! 

Feed the site with chicken and go for a walk. Gets to far boundary and squeals. Within three good squeals Charlie turns up. A little over 100yds I shoot, nothing, no thump no fox no nothing! I searched for 45mins, nothing.

So I put some white paper on a post and pace off 100yds. Rifle is fine!

A total disaster, I've educated one/another. ?

Yours, royally fed up, Bernard. 

We've all done it...tomorrow is another day!

(I've given up with the coloured filters, been using the clear/white for donkeys years now, seem to work fine, although the dimmer is useful, but then, so is night vision!)

:thumbs:

1 hour ago, Deker said:

We've all done it...tomorrow is another day!

(I've given up with the coloured filters, been using the clear/white for donkeys years now, seem to work fine, although the dimmer is useful, but then, so is night vision!)

:thumbs:

Thanks.   I'm going to go white again just to see. I was looking about last night and thought what with all the cars, security lights, distant light sources etcetera, maybe they won't think nothing of it.

And yes, I even contemplated NV again but that was because I was tired and upset.