Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Feeding this morning before it got to wild, it was very cold ? up there and the birds were sitting very tight in the thick cover, they were also in the dark / dry wood drives, now we are heading into the depth of winter the amount of drives I have become limited but the 4 main drives ( piggeries tree side and ruff side, forestry pen and Gordon’s pen ) become better for the next couple of shoots, the amount of tree rats is ridiculous, it doesn’t matter how many I shoot it doesn’t look like I’ve shot any, I’m going to treat the young guns to a squizzer day in February. I also checked my camera and carrot feeder and there’s a cracking buck Rudolph on it from Sunday with a very nice head, fish tailed antlers, which we very rarely get up there, so if this weather sorts itself out me and FH will have a look for him ?

75968D58-F19C-4E66-8305-5E67B935588C.jpeg

5A188E72-479F-4F7D-9676-F3FDA03BA9B5.jpeg

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

I thought they said palmated,  fallow bucks antler is palmated.  No?

Yeah, as in like a hand, this chap was what we know up here as fish tailed because it doesn’t have fingers ( tines ) sticking out, you don’t see many like this around here at all, most of them aren’t even palmated

8F551C8F-9CEF-4C41-9C5D-2237CE66DA00.png

B2DC24D7-E6C8-45D5-9B89-5EC9C99EB75C.png

• Like 1

I saw fifteen fallow at a place i have to shoot on last week whilst i was foxing.

The christmas tree bloke has been on to me as well to go and get rid of the Roe on there. I will have to go because it is a good foxing spot. The good news is i have found an outlet for full carcasses, so apart from gralloching i won't have to dick about with them.

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Yeah, as in like a hand, this chap was what we know up here as fish tailed because it doesn’t have fingers ( tines ) sticking out, you don’t see many like this around here at all, most of them aren’t even palmated

8F551C8F-9CEF-4C41-9C5D-2237CE66DA00.png

B2DC24D7-E6C8-45D5-9B89-5EC9C99EB75C.png

I didn't know that mate?

2 hours ago, Stavross said:

Feeding this morning before it got to wild, it was very cold ? up there and the birds were sitting very tight in the thick cover, they were also in the dark / dry wood drives, now we are heading into the depth of winter the amount of drives I have become limited but the 4 main drives ( piggeries tree side and ruff side, forestry pen and Gordon’s pen ) become better for the next couple of shoots, the amount of tree rats is ridiculous, it doesn’t matter how many I shoot it doesn’t look like I’ve shot any, I’m going to treat the young guns to a squizzer day in February. I also checked my camera and carrot feeder and there’s a cracking buck Rudolph on it from Sunday with a very nice head, fish tailed antlers, which we very rarely get up there, so if this weather sorts itself out me and FH will have a look for him ?

75968D58-F19C-4E66-8305-5E67B935588C.jpeg

5A188E72-479F-4F7D-9676-F3FDA03BA9B5.jpeg

Little nutkin looks so content.......?

• Haha 3
28 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Look at the bicep on him, it’s a good I was armed, I wouldn’t want to go toe to toe with him ?

I sh1t my self when I saw this one, it looked like an alien when I was looking through the thermal, put the scope on it to have a proper look and it went mental.. thought it was gonna charge me at one point??CEE22284-C218-4F78-8379-7168115E2C10.png.a9a9f1f8560386f4de623e613575fcf4.png394A214A-BA29-47E1-91D4-E0A701E081F6.png.7dda52577753e02cfe08e924913c80b7.png

• Like 3
1 hour ago, si brown said:

I sh1t my self when I saw this one, it looked like an alien when I was looking through the thermal, put the scope on it to have a proper look and it went mental.. thought it was gonna charge me at one point??CEE22284-C218-4F78-8379-7168115E2C10.png.a9a9f1f8560386f4de623e613575fcf4.png394A214A-BA29-47E1-91D4-E0A701E081F6.png.7dda52577753e02cfe08e924913c80b7.png

Did you catch up with it , looks like a red stag to me ?

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Did you catch up with it , looks like a red stag to me ?

no.. saw it a few times but there like rocking horse ? so left it alone. 

reds are even rarer up this way, but from what I can gather theres been a fair bit of work being done over stavs way and they've moved about, a few mates mates have said they've been seeing them 10 mile away from where I am and the forest in the background is linked, its huge so  ? 

5 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I thought they said palmated,  fallow bucks antler is palmated.  No?

Fallow deer have palmated antlers with spellers coming off it , they have a brow tine and a bez tine. The term fishtail applies when the palm is split , from what I can tell of Stavs buck on camera it is palmated and not a fishtail but we will post a better pic of it when we catch up with him ??

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, si brown said:

no.. saw it a few times but there like rocking horse ? so left it alone. 

reds are even rarer up this way, but from what I can gather theres been a fair bit of work being done over stavs way and they've moved about, a few mates mates have said they've been seeing them 10 mile away from where I am and the forest in the background is linked, its huge so  ? 

I knew there was Reds in N Yorks and they get to some size too.