Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

"Sneak up"&"150yards" seem at odds with each other! Just how far was it when you spotted it

I know what you mean but I spotted it at around 300yds away. I was hunting a bit of the farm I never touch and didnt know the lay of the land. Where I spotted it there was a fence and gorse in front of me so had to detour round this to the gate , climb the gate and go down a gully and up the other side which brought me to 150 yds away , couldn't get any closer as there was another bracken covered gully between me and the fox so decided to shoot from there as the fox was on the move and I may have lost it in the cover , so I stopped it and sent my round ? He was very fat and also had a black belly like a rutting stag.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Feeding this afternoon and I’m pleased to say that the place wasn’t full of dog walkers and there was plenty of birds about, they had cleared up all the feed I’d put down on Saturday and hammered a few feeders, with how quickly we are losing the light now the birds were heading back in when I got there at 3, so it was a quick feed around the pens and then over the far side where I knew they wouldn’t be that time of day, the sunset was a bit special this evening, it looked like the sky was on fire

6CC91B75-16A7-46D1-BDB2-736319627CCE.jpeg

9066155C-B105-4159-ABAB-EC7E69CA66DC.jpeg

2549D47F-CCF2-4CA2-9763-8AA071447575.jpeg

22336A0E-2E8B-4FDD-AE1E-8E6AB028117C.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Have to mate. Had a look out lamping even though full moon , cloud cover helped. Managed to sneak up on this fat dog fox , took him at around 150 yds ?  Keeper has been on the phone and he's found the geese so going in the morning , hopefully they co-operate.

DSC00150.JPG

I love the shot placement…. Pretty much perfect.?

I have just got back from the pub . I’ve had a great day . 
   Started off with feeding , really early. Then onto Gloucester services for breakfast. If you want a breakfast off the M5 , between Bristol and he midlands , look no further. Proper sausage , good bacon, black pudding and bubble and squeak, and filter coffee, no espresso. 
        I was invited to shoot Frampton court estate as a guest . Me and my arch enemy/ friend Tim  were both invited. 
         This is the same estate that has the Frampton country fair/show , and I’ve helped out and  been a part of the scene for years , but never been invited to shoot

The day started in the yard just off the green at Frampton . It’s a small world, and I knew most of the people there , and certainly most of the guns …. I felt at home already . I was a guest of the keeper , Dave T , who had helped me at my shoot and has been involved with the shoot that I keeper for over 50 years . Dave runs the shoot with his pal Adam . 
               We had a pre shoot briefing by our host ( Rollo Clifford) . He was has got to be  one of the most humble and charming aristocrats I’ve encountered. Please , if you are ever in my neck of the woods , come to the Frampton county show , one of the best  shows there is ( ask THL grey man ) . 
        Dave and his band of beaters and pickers up were excellent and Rollo and his family were the most congenial hosts . I was treated to some stunning birds, which really took me by surprise because Frampton is seriously flat .

I made an agreement with Tim , “ if it’s over my head you shoot it , if it’s over yours , I will shoot it . “ Anyway , a bird  sailed over me , and was  missed by my mate Tim with both barrels. “ I informed him  he was a useless piece of shit , and all bets were off . 
          Anyway the day ended with us having a meal i the Tithe barn and then in the Bell at Frampton.  
         I’ve also got to add that the Purple Fury cartridges were very good. I was shooting 33grams of 4s through 1/2 and 3/4 cokes through my 32” Miroku MK38 . In all honesty I didn’t need them but , my word they killed well . Very quick and hard hitting . I got my phone out for a couple of pictures but to be honest I was too busy having a good time to take too many pics . 
      By the way the solitary figure you see in the drilling’s is the pathetic, degenerate who has no friends apart from me Tim no mates . 
          Foxhunter , Tim ( foxdropper ) is with me tomorrow. We are having a day out on a local shoot ?

9294049D-E26D-418B-89E1-814339088C45.jpeg

5B9EFDA6-6E0A-4851-8307-1B9797770D33.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 7

Well sad to say my goose trip wasnt a success as the geese didn't want to play ? 1st skein came in perfect and I shot 1 pink foot. After that plenty geese in the air but wouldn't decoy and decided to land in some fields half a mile away. 5 hours driving for a goose I must be mad ?

20211117_090548.jpg

20211117_091146.jpg

• Like 5
20 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I love the shot placement…. Pretty much perfect.?

Here’s one for shot placement sl?

look on the deck, it didn’t move very far!

Last day of buck season, he had two hours to keep his head down before dark.. rare bullets them sst

First photo as I walked up to it, shot off stix at bout 170yard

ED04723D-F713-4387-861C-C77FEAAF5C0C.jpeg.1c5eaab73c28c777b4905f18b4448c35.jpegE33D983A-2C8B-45C9-90C1-95046801FDDC.jpeg.e640f94cc61fb9d22b2c4af4413cbdbd.jpegB03C1DE8-D97A-4BFE-BD2A-38DF840FFF72.jpeg.a11981210cd14a0482aafa848b933697.jpeg

• Like 8