Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Hi all , I thought I’d better check in otherwise you might think I’ve passed on to the celestial pheasant shoot in the sky . 
     Good to see you are all still posting, when I get a minute I will catch up and read through and see what you have all been up to .

For my part it’s a hectic time of year , I’m up first thing feeding, then off loading, I don’t seem to have a minute to myself, but it’s my own fault for saying yes to the days , it’s greed basically. 
           The shoot is going well and we have had four good days so far , and the guns seem happy……well most of them, there is always one or two who comment that they had a bad peg on such and such a drive….. suck it up , that’s game shooting. 
         Caught a feral ferret / polecat yesterday. I brought my Larsen traps into the barn out of the rain and went to top up with wheat yesterday morning and was met with a dead call bird and a bent trap , where it had pushed its way through, it seems the metal hog rings had rusted and the divide was easily pushed. It’s a feisty little b*****d, and hissed at me , I’m definitely not putting my hand in there . It’s getting a 22lr behind its ear later on . 

21CB253A-EE93-4893-ACF4-1F32D76F145A.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 4

We had Kate Garraway on the shoot over the summer. The estate was approached and the production team turned up and spent time researching the area . They asked for local characters and interesting people, needless to say the Gamekeeper didn’t fit into their narrative. 
            Anyway, in spite of me not having a TV license ( I detest everything the BBC stand for ) I watched it . It showed the shoot , she even had her picnic next to one of the cover crops . I am even on it , blink and you will miss my ATV driving past the church (drone footage ) . Talking of drones , they got it stuck in the top of an oak tree , all of a sudden they wanted to know the gamekeeper , as I was asked to shoot it out of the branches . It was surprising that it is filmed as if it’s just Kate going on a walk with a GoPro on a selfie stick . But reality is there was a film crew , sound crew and producers . Load of bollocks really . 

70A5032D-2C3F-4959-B935-53CD4F83F714.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
7 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

We had Kate Garraway on the shoot over the summer. The estate was approached and the production team turned up and spent time researching the area . They asked for local characters and interesting people, needless to say the Gamekeeper didn’t fit into their narrative. 
            Anyway, in spite of me not having a TV license ( I detest everything the BBC stand for ) I watched it . It showed the shoot , she even had her picnic next to one of the cover crops . I am even on it , blink and you will miss my ATV driving past the church (drone footage ) . Talking of drones , they got it stuck in the top of an oak tree , all of a sudden they wanted to know the gamekeeper , as I was asked to shoot it out of the branches . It was surprising that it is filmed as if it’s just Kate going on a walk with a GoPro on a selfie stick . But reality is there was a film crew , sound crew and producers . Load of bollocks really . 

I’ll look out for that? ?

Edited by Dervburner
Ahh, it is on I player... I’ll have a look at that
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I don’t know why the keeper never fits the narrative, I know they are a rum bunch, bad tempered, often use very colourful language and call a spade a spade but one thing is certain, they are the definition of a character ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is what I want ?

I went to feed this morning because I couldn’t get there yesterday and at 2 degrees and a hard ground frost I couldn’t of been happier, I got there just after first light so I could see what headed where after coming off roost, I’m glad I did because I’ve got a big group coming through the farm, behind the caravan at the back and then down towards what I know as the tip, I was sure these would of gone to the oak wood drive, but no, they seem to like going the long way round to the tip, unless you see them you will never guess where these idiots decide to go 

FFA36575-9826-4670-B9A9-EF2934FEBBC0.jpeg

F669E560-3D80-484F-AE1F-6CE362B2A104.jpeg

EADCD059-F355-4390-BBFA-610FBE5CF926.jpeg

08ADE213-A98D-4072-8D7E-A46D78F364BB.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 4