Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

I had another go at the sheep farm tonight, weather looked perfect, no moon and a good breeze, on arrival I looked around with the thermal and noticed there was very little about. I thought this was a bit strange looking at the weather but it seems sometimes although it looks near perfect it just doesn’t play out the way you expect it to, after an hour and a half and no sign of a fox ( or deer, badger or hare, come to think of it) I headed back to the farm, shooting half a dozen rabbits with the .223 on the way, until I thought these are costing me about £1.40 each, so stopped, it does absolutely wreck them, none of them looked any better than this one, that was instantly gutted on impact ?

DB4FDE10-B803-42D7-9E8A-223CA8C0FBF4.jpeg

• Haha 1

Without doubt if you want something doing, just do it yourself, one of the other members who likes to be involved ( when it suits him ) said he would feed this weekend, I said I want it doing today because next door are shooting and I want them to know there’s someone about, 2 o’clock this afternoon he rings me, I said “ how’d you get on “ to which he replied “ I haven’t been, I had to take the young lad out, I’ll go for 7 in the morning “

?no you won’t it will be just light and I don’t want you pushing them around when they have just come off roost, I’ll go now, so me and the missus set off, on the way she was flicking through bookface ( I don’t go on that nonsense) there he is on the moor, not out with the family, if you don’t want to do it nobody is forcing you, 

when we got there you could tell there had been a lot of activity around the shoot, there was very few birds in or around the forestry pen and it wasn’t until I got to Gordon’s pen that we started to see birds in any sort of numbers, it seemed that all the birds from the forestry pen had decided  to escape all the disturbance in the roadside drive, when we pulled in on the bike there was easily 150 in there, after finishing off it was good to see them heading back towards the pens just as the light was fading, so now I’ll feed Monday, Wednesday and then Friday, the day before we shoot, where I’ll come up with a plan as to where we’ll be shooting on the Saturday 

303767A1-47CE-491D-BFCA-ADA7B810CB60.jpeg

AF26F30D-BD12-4850-B3F0-E89A5C57856F.jpeg

2706DF36-6231-438F-AD86-E133B08C661D.png

• Like 4

That’s about right Stav, after some comments I heard from some trigger pullers who don’t appreciate what gets done, I’ve decided I’m doing fcuk all next season. I’ll keep on top of vermin though because I enjoy it, anyway, on another note, we’ve got spooky crumpets for breakfast.......happy Halloween, cheers??

2F583FC3-2676-4E8E-BAA5-38AEB3E0829F.jpeg

FF92C1AF-9412-4788-ABF7-6FB41B48EC76.jpeg

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

That’s about right Stav, after some comments I heard from some trigger pullers who don’t appreciate what gets done, I’ve decided I’m doing fcuk all next season. I’ll keep on top of vermin though because I enjoy it, anyway, on another note, we’ve got spooky crumpets for breakfast.......happy Halloween, cheers??

2F583FC3-2676-4E8E-BAA5-38AEB3E0829F.jpeg

FF92C1AF-9412-4788-ABF7-6FB41B48EC76.jpeg

Hope your not too hungry mind!! 

13 hours ago, Stavross said:

Without doubt if you want something doing, just do it yourself, one

Yep afraid so mate. It might take longer to get everything done but at least you know it done right. And there's no risk of someone not putting things back where they should be & then shrugging shoulders when you ask ?? (that's my #1 pet hate) 

Seeing as the rain stopped I popped out for a look for ?  I have some  old rounds to use up which a guy loaded for me years ago which shoot 1 inch right to my usual 100 grainers,  so thought I will knock a couple of hares over to feed the dog. 1st spot no foxes seen but shot 2 hares. 2nd spot called a fox which screamed in but couldn't see it for the shot as scope misted up ?????? well pissed off as it came in to about 40 yds. Eventually at 1.30 am called another which came under fence 20 yds to my right , on moving my sticks they fell apart ffs ?????? not my night. Anyway luckily it only went 100 yds and was sitting on a bank side,  I managed to drop a vixen which had a swolled lump on its face ....thank God after a frustrating night.

20211031_012856.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Seeing as the rain stopped I popped out for a look for ?  I have some  old rounds to use up which a guy loaded for me years ago which shoot 1 inch right to my usual 100 grainers,  so thought I will knock a couple of hares over to feed the dog. 1st spot no foxes seen but shot 2 hares. 2nd spot called a fox which screamed in but couldn't see it for the shot as scope misted up ?????? well pissed off as it came in to about 40 yds. Eventually at 1.30 am called another which came under fence 20 yds to my right , on moving my sticks they fell apart ffs ?????? not my night. Anyway luckily it only went 100 yds and was sitting on a bank side,  I managed to drop a vixen which had a swolled lump on its face ....thank God after a frustrating night.

20211031_012856.jpg

Not a bad result Mark, well done?

7 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

20211031_012856.jpg

Sounds like one of my outings lol.

Well done.

Know any good hare recipes?

I have plenty about this year.