Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

Back to the shoot yesterday and it’s looking good, fingers crossed the birds will be ready by the 6th, something has wrecked a bird not far from Gordon’s pen, leaving a pile of feathers and what’s left of a drumstick ? ☹️

C94AA2D5-C2F8-4894-9ADD-809D6C4AA7BD.jpeg

D5433210-E654-4F32-BB8E-2D1440850E2C.jpeg

E9FD7850-E2FD-4865-98F6-9F9818CAFF22.jpeg

BOP

Last nights job was a hen killer. Arrived at my mates place before dark and headed off to his mates parents smallholding which consists of 4 paddocks to recce the job. I decided the best spot was on top of a barn which gave a good field of view and provided safety. The landowner provided some ladders and up we climbed.  Started the caller with hare distress and 15 mins later a fox showed up ? it was cautious but eventually presented a shot which my mate took , the fox was a runner but expired after a 30 yard dash. It turned out to be a dog cub which had a canine missing and also a rotten molar , never seen this before as Cubs teeth are usually pristine. Landowner happy and said would have a look back soon ?

20211024_200339.jpg

• Like 8

Pop goes the weasel, keep getting them, saw a stoat last week as well. It nipped into the undergrowth. I was up in Sheffield today, plenty of squirrels in the botanical gardens. You wouldn’t need a gun, I could’ve taken 30 of the little blighters with a cricket bat?

36948648-D1CC-4C8C-B6DF-D6C9DF60E363.jpeg

• Like 5
36 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Pop goes the weasel, keep getting them, saw a stoat last week as well. It nipped into the undergrowth. I was up in Sheffield today, plenty of squirrels in the botanical gardens. You wouldn’t need a gun, I could’ve taken 30 of the little blighters with a cricket bat?

36948648-D1CC-4C8C-B6DF-D6C9DF60E363.jpeg

You killed Buck ?

• Haha 4

Another feed day and they are continuing to eat everything in sight, I was greeted by some partridge in the yard on arrival and seen another dozen or so on my rounds, my next doors bird drive is coming along nicely, I’ve got them feeding along the wood in the next field up from the rape, this will make them easier to get round and I’ll be able to drive them through the trees, standing the guns on the track in a valley the other side, my last port of call on my rounds is the oak wood drive, when I was heading out the wood, I spotted the big black fallow buck that me and FH had a look for a few weeks back, I stopped the bike and took a quick video of him, he was no more than 15 yards from me, giving it big grunts, calling his ladies, weather permitting we’ll maybe have a look for him at the weekend 

D6FF1D2E-EC1D-40C0-996A-6F573E3BCE9B.jpeg

4405189D-6D13-4D28-A907-3D05540322E5.jpeg

B4EC3081-3EB5-4188-B00A-B5497EB1CED9.jpeg

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

The black ones look so mysterious to me. I think they are very smart looking.

Most of what we have up there are very dark, be it doe or buck, they are lovely to watch in the woods, they move like shadows. I’ve seen one buck up there a couple of years ago that was a really light sandy colour, it was after forestry had been thinning the piggeries out and there was a group of them on the track, that was the one and only time I seen that beast

• Like 1

Out last night after a fox I've seen a few times but it's very shy. Set up in my chosen spot with the gusting wind in my face . Started with hare distress which produced nothing so switched to chicken in distress which did the trick ? A fox turned up behind me with the wind blowing straight at it yet it just sat there watching and listening.  Quickly got on the bipod and dispatched it at around 120 yds.  Dont think it was the shy one as wouldn't have hung around but a nice bonus anyway ? It was still very light again last night even with cloud cover and the wind was very strong drowning out the caller. 

20211026_220807.jpg

• Like 5

I was up at the shoot just after 8 this morning, the birds were already off roast and on the wander, it’s not very often I get there on a morning to feed and at first I thought where are they all, it wasn’t long before I started to find them, wherever the sun was shining the birds were there, there’s a good bunch of them that head through the farm and under the beach trees before heading towards the oak wood drive until mid morning when the head back through the farm back towards the pen, it’s good to go different times of the day so I can see where they are ?

858F720B-2336-4FC0-9BA2-6EA48D736080.jpeg

E85B7270-9A2D-4B28-8577-33CA9D681DFE.jpeg

• Like 4