Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I would walk those pheasants off that are in the rape field on the boundary and shoot as many as possible ??

That’s the plan, I’m thinking I might push them through the rape and over the trees and stand the guns on the track the other side of the trees ( that’s where the gutter is we walked past that looks like it should be full of roe ) I’m getting a few of their partridge along my oak wood drive as well, which will be something a bit different as we’ve never put partridge down

its a shame he is the way he is, the keepers that have been there before have always been spot on and we would help each other out and never do anything like this, but if you are seen dogging birds off my fields, if I catch some of your beaters walking one of my drives through and if you don’t treat the old girl with the respect she deserves I will ruin you ? he must be really bad at it, because I’ve never had as many of there birds on my land as I’ve got, why you would put pens near boundaries is beyond me, mine are smack in the middle of the shoot and I still have to work to keep the birds on my land

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Stavross said:

That’s the plan, I’m thinking I might push them through the rape and over the trees and stand the guns on the track the other side of the trees ( that’s where the gutter is we walked past that looks like it should be full of roe ) I’m getting a few of their partridge along my oak wood drive as well, which will be something a bit different as we’ve never put partridge down

its a shame he is the way he is, the keepers that have been there before have always been spot on and we would help each other out and never do anything like this, but if you are seen dogging birds off my fields, if I catch some of your beaters walking one of my drives through and if you don’t treat the old girl with the respect she deserves I will ruin you ? he must be really bad at it, because I’ve never had as many of there birds on my land as I’ve got, why you would put pens near boundaries is beyond me, mine are smack in the middle of the shoot and I still have to work to keep the birds on my land

Put an empty pen near your boundary lol. They may have put ridiculous numbers down, but dogging in on the neighbours is a big no no. Just start catching up else his birds might lead yours off, and put some English down ffs. Lol ?

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Borr said:

Put an empty pen near your boundary lol. They may have put ridiculous numbers down, but dogging in on the neighbours is a big no no. Just start catching up else his birds might lead yours off, and put some English down ffs. Lol ?

His birds are no where near mine, ( they put about 3000 down ) by this time of year they know where they live, so what you get is his birds coming out onto my shoot and you just need to keep them interested with feed and go around them to stop them heading for home, we are not set up for partridge with it been 80% woodland, saying that nether are they, that’s why you find them walking down forestry track looking confused 

14 minutes ago, Borr said:

Sounds like straw rides might be the way forward, that's a large percentage of woodland, atb...

Yeah, it’s a lot of woods, it does make some really good pheasant shooting, it’s all farmed for timber in forestry blocks by the forestry commission, but it’s privately owned and leased to them, we have got a few fields and if we were to put strip cover in ( like maize ) we could probably hold partridge but that would just be another thing for me to worry about and most of them don’t appreciate what I do now, so sod’em?

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Stavross said:

This is what it should be like, lovely clear blue sky and about 6 degrees, we need a bit of frost on a night now and I think my birds will be ok for the first day in November ?

Next doors birds will be ok for 1st day in November ???

• Haha 3