Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

On 04/10/2021 at 09:55, FOXHUNTER said:

Well last night was a case of the Good the Bad and the Ugly ? The Good 2 foxes were shot ....The Bad 2 foxes were missed ...The Ugly 1 fox was gut shot.  My mate was shooting at his permission which is basically some stables with a few paddocks but he does keep hens. Set up and after calling for an hour without seeing anything I thought we would blank. I decided to go to the boundary wall and look in the next field as the property owner had already squared it with the farmer next door that if any foxes were seen in his field to shoot them. Immediately I picked up some eyes but the wind was gusting in our backs , I managed to hand squeak the fox in a little way but it then hung up at around 120 yds.  My mate had to shoot off the wall and managed to hit it but it was gut shot , luckily expiring very quickly ...a dog cub. So hung around and 5 mins later another appeared along the bottom fence line . It wouldnt call in and kept moving about, consequently he missed this one. Walking back up the bank I scanned behind us and there was another fox , no mistake this time and he shot the vixen. Walking back to car and I spotted another with his thermal quite a way off so walked towards it and it was walking towards us . At around 50 yds I lit it up and he missed it off sticks , couldn't believe it. He thinks he hit it but I dont think so as it didnt jump or Yelp and made it across a ploughed field 150 yds into a small copse. He is going with dogs after work to search for it but I am very doubtful.  So 2 in the bag but should have been 4 ?

20211003_221412.jpg

Well my mate was on the phone today and he eventually found the fox , it had travelled about 400 yds and he found it out the back of the copse lying in the next hedgerow with a wound channel across it's back ? He has another fox to sort out as his mate has lost some hens and has asked us for help , once the moon is off. 

Went mooching today and had another mixed bag. Ended up talking to a fisherman on the river for a good hour and he was telling me he caught his best salmon last year at this spot 26lb, and showed me the pics to prove it ? Carried on my quest of clearing up spent cartridges,  its getting addictive. 

20211016_133708.jpg

20211016_144729.jpg

20211016_153741.jpg

20211016_180617.jpg

• Like 8
2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Went mooching today and had another mixed bag. Ended up talking to a fisherman on the river for a good hour and he was telling me he caught his best salmon last year at this spot 26lb, and showed me the pics to prove it ? Carried on my quest of clearing up spent cartridges,  its getting addictive. 

20211016_133708.jpg

20211016_144729.jpg

20211016_153741.jpg

20211016_180617.jpg

Looks like you’ve had a great day of it ?

I decided to have an hour or so up at the sheep farm tonight, I thought I’d give the far side of the farm a go, so set off. When I got to the top of the first field I ran the thermal along the hedge backs where I spotted some heat at the bottom of hedge, I wasn’t sure what it was but thought I’d give it a mouth call, it moved from the bottom of the hedge but through the thermal I still couldn’t make out what it was, so switched the NV and IR on, the eye shine told me it was definitely a fox but I still couldn’t see enough of it for a shot, a few more squeaks and out it came into the field heading towards me before going through a fence. I thought I’d lost it but then after going all out mental on the mouth caller it came back through the fence about 75 yards away, lined up on the bib I thought I’m not letting you take another step, when I went to retrieve it I was shocked at how big it was, it’s definitely the biggest dog fox I’ve shot in a long time, the pictures don’t do it justice, I should of put something next to it to compare the size, I’m sure from where it was I’ve seen this fox at least 3 times and shot at it once so I’m pretty chuffed to of got it tonight, one things for certain, I wouldn’t of seen it without the thermal, I still really like going out with the lamp but places like the sheep farm where it really matters the thermal is a massive help

DAF5330D-58A7-4EB5-9648-733DA001D30D.jpeg

58567314-CAEA-41FF-A633-42FCC85B8883.jpeg

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

No, I don’t take scales with me, I really should put the luggage scales in my gun bag, it’s not very often I get one this size

I always have them in the jimny and weigh them as a matter of interest.

• Like 1

I’ve just dug the luggage scales out the cupboard ( don’t think we’ll be using them for a while, I don’t like going on holiday anyway) and put them in my rifle bag, bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but you never know I might come across another big’un in the future 

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Baldcoot said:

That's why we go Benedorm, English pubs ,English food ,Spanish weather and beer oh so cheap. 

Being half a jock it's important their no avin a sale ?

ive been all over the world on holidays and when I ask the kids where they want to go its always Benidorm?

got to admit I love it there too ?

• Thanks 1

Up feeding this afternoon and autumn is fully here even though it’s about 20 degrees, the birds are starting to tail up, some a lot quicker than others. I’ve got birds throughout the shoot now and at the minute they are doing what I want them to, by moving around in groups and not all just walking off together. Speaking to the old girl it seems next doors keeper is being his usual dickhead self, by bashing his gums at the old girls daughter, so that’s it fu*k him, I’m going to carry on feeding his birds onto my land and then I’m going to let the members shoot them all ? I was telling the shoot  captain about the amount of next doors birds I’ve got ( some of them are the last picture) and he said “ you wouldn’t shoot next doors birds would you” to which I replied “ not until they are in the air” ?

8271E0A8-CED0-4AEE-930A-3879BB1D49A7.jpeg

B231C7C7-2E8C-4133-8C83-2F082263018C.jpeg

18F02E24-77C7-475F-A542-74F3322685A5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2