Back up at the shoot

Well last night was a case of the Good the Bad and the Ugly ? The Good 2 foxes were shot ....The Bad 2 foxes were missed ...The Ugly 1 fox was gut shot.  My mate was shooting at his permission which is basically some stables with a few paddocks but he does keep hens. Set up and after calling for an hour without seeing anything I thought we would blank. I decided to go to the boundary wall and look in the next field as the property owner had already squared it with the farmer next door that if any foxes were seen in his field to shoot them. Immediately I picked up some eyes but the wind was gusting in our backs , I managed to hand squeak the fox in a little way but it then hung up at around 120 yds.  My mate had to shoot off the wall and managed to hit it but it was gut shot , luckily expiring very quickly ...a dog cub. So hung around and 5 mins later another appeared along the bottom fence line . It wouldnt call in and kept moving about, consequently he missed this one. Walking back up the bank I scanned behind us and there was another fox , no mistake this time and he shot the vixen. Walking back to car and I spotted another with his thermal quite a way off so walked towards it and it was walking towards us . At around 50 yds I lit it up and he missed it off sticks , couldn't believe it. He thinks he hit it but I dont think so as it didnt jump or Yelp and made it across a ploughed field 150 yds into a small copse. He is going with dogs after work to search for it but I am very doubtful.  So 2 in the bag but should have been 4 ?

20211003_221412.jpg

• Like 6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

8 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Seeing the rats building up again around our yard, always tell when autumn on the way. 

20211004_084045.jpg

20211004_084808.jpg

ive not stopped shooting the rats this year ben, usually leave them till winter but its been non stop round here!

was talking to the mole man on a job last week and I said about how many rats there are on all the places I shoot and he said hes been getting calls of people with them in there lofts and all sorts:(

dirty horrible fckin things

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Found a rabbit playing with two hares Sunday morning.  Never seen it before. 

DSC06016.JPG.f5bed5222acb8e595286c84106612644.JPG

DSC06067.JPG.c217c43dfbca1447e7cb0c38c87237b0.JPG

Yeah.. it’s a strange old world!

I had a Brittany spaniel who use to play with a badger and a free roaming rabbit that I use to lock in on a night that once pulled a random Yorkshire terrier, I had to evict it out of its hutch cos it thought it was stopping the night?

• Haha 5

My mate searched for the fox he thought he hit the other night and found  a big blood splash where the fox entered the copse also said it stunk but never found it due to high cover and nettles. I might have a look myself as love à challenge ?

• Haha 2

No chance of anyone going to feed in this weather today so off I went, I got there around 8:30 and with the weather the way it was the birds were still close to the pens, they have taken to the wheat, preferring to feed from the ground rather than the feeders, this is what I like as they hang around a lot longer scratting about for bits of wheat, once I’d done the two pens I had a ride through the main drives, the birds are spreading out a little further which they need to do now to fill out some of the other drives, like “ Oakwood” and “ Roadside”, we’ve also got a bunch of next doors partridge along a track that we sometimes make a little drive from, so I’ll be keeping my eye on them. I must be doing something right because I had a visit from the bloke who farms the land for the old girl, he said the agronomist had been out and said the amount of birds that are on the back field of the farm are doing some serious damage to the wheat drilling’s, I said I always walk them up off the field but apart from that there’s not much else I can do, I have no feeders down there and they have always naturally gone that way ( maybe not in them numbers, but that just shows I’ve managed to hang onto them and stop them wandering off ) after speaking to the landlady she told me she’s not bothered and likes to see them and don’t go out of my way to keep them off as another week or so and they’ll leave it alone 

6806F603-38E4-4A64-8C64-6AEB30D913B8.jpeg

28915EE5-CEB0-4CC4-B626-FB08C68575C6.jpeg

EFAB3CF2-84D9-499B-A868-ADF47793762E.jpeg

2FFD4DE2-0EB2-4818-9160-BD1DD9CFEF14.jpeg

• Like 7
55 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Certainly pissed down today , the River Wear is well up now . 

Weather’s knackered mate, it’s back up to 21 degrees and sunshine on Friday, we don’t seem to get dry, cold weather until late November now, if we are lucky 

I’ve got half a dozen spots now where I feed on straw and another half a dozen scratchers I feed under, plus hand feeding on a few rides, I use the feeders as a bit of a back up once they are on wheat, by the time we get into November the fallow start rolling the feeders around unless they are nailed down 

• Like 2