Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

It’s 3 years since the estate got the squirrel grant and the contractors all but wiped them out but there back, been working there on some stables and seen a fair few bouncing about!

can see me doing a few Sunday afternoons in the woods:)

Yorkshire squirrel bait?6DA85387-6208-40A8-80F5-0986A700DD8A.jpeg.3d3611bcbc467064120fd54225068b56.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
48 minutes ago, si brown said:

It’s 3 years since the estate got the squirrel grant and the contractors all but wiped them out but there back, been working there on some stables and seen a fair few bouncing about!

can see me doing a few Sunday afternoons in the woods:)

Yorkshire squirrel bait?6DA85387-6208-40A8-80F5-0986A700DD8A.jpeg.3d3611bcbc467064120fd54225068b56.jpeg

Many a lasting relationship was built on a snickers bar in Stoke mate! 

• Haha 1

Up at the shoot again last night and the weather has certainly changed, first time I had to put my winter jacket on, we were quite late when we arrived so it was a quick couple of rabbits around the farm and then straight over the piggeries ( tree side ) for a call. Moving position twice after only seeing pigs it was a good hour before I noticed a fox along the edge of the oilseed rape, with the caller on pheasant distress it entered the rape, disappearing from time to time, when it reached the middle of the field it stopped and seemed to sit, my mate was on the rifle and said “ should I have a go, I can only see the head” I said “ if you are confident, go for it” the thud/crack told me the shot was good as it disappeared from the thermal into the rape,I didn’t realise just how deep the rape was, we set off to look for it and in places the rape was above the knee, we spent half an hour looking for it, both using thermal but just couldn’t find it in the deep rape, so after half an hour and being soaked through I gave up and headed home to warm up and dry out

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I popped out to a farm last night that I havent shot a fox on all year as been left to rewild. Yesterday I noticed a couple of fresh cut grass fields so thought I'm bound to get a fox ?. How wrong I was , saw absolutely nothing ? Getting totally sick now of the shortage of foxes , so will stick to rabbits I think. Saying that tomorrow night I am off to a small holding that my mate has where he shot a fox back in the Spring , see if my luck changes ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

Up at the shoot again last night and the weather has certainly changed, first time I had to put my winter jacket on, we were quite late when we arrived so it was a quick couple of rabbits around the farm and then straight over the piggeries ( tree side ) for a call. Moving position twice after only seeing pigs it was a good hour before I noticed a fox along the edge of the oilseed rape, with the caller on pheasant distress it entered the rape, disappearing from time to time, when it reached the middle of the field it stopped and seemed to sit, my mate was on the rifle and said “ should I have a go, I can only see the head” I said “ if you are confident, go for it” the thud/crack told me the shot was good as it disappeared from the thermal into the rape,I didn’t realise just how deep the rape was, we set off to look for it and in places the rape was above the knee, we spent half an hour looking for it, both using thermal but just couldn’t find it in the deep rape, so after half an hour and being soaked through I gave up and headed home to warm up and dry out

Check the missing dogs page in the local rag....

?

I've noticed before how fox's like hanging around in young rape. Is it worms slugs and snail?‍♂️.

Or is it ground birds roosting in it? One thing is for sure. Charlie won't be there just because it gives him a warm fuzzy feeling!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

I used plums last year ,couldn't get slows but only have 2 bottles left ??

I normally do sloe gin but didn’t get any last year to do it for this year so though I’d give bramble a go because it only takes about 6 weeks 

10 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Bert has just been for a walk and a bit bedraggled so the wife wraps him up in his favourite pink towel ❤

20211002_142003.jpg

Bert is gay and you made him that way ?

Cute as fuuck but bent like a Welsh tenner, the mrs loves bert lol.. If I wrapped this tit in a towel, he'd roll around and f****n hit the roof on the bounce ?

One of the funniest things I've ever seen was this twit of mine freaking out when I gave him a rub down, as a pup mind. Ran off with the towel round his head, straight into a tree outside the house, screamed (saluki) (whilst shaking the bloody towel off) somehow managed to get said towel wrapped around/on his head and on a tree... if you've never seen a white wanker saluki coursing cnut get choked by his own hand and scream like a victim.. you've not lived ? Got pulled by the filth that day, making sure the dog was ok ffs... lol 

Kinell ?‍♂️, love ya dogs ladies and gentlemen they will always give you memories good and bad ?

That pink towel is so my brother ? ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2