Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

8 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Just going topping up feeders this morning and this brute popped out . I haven’t seen him before , and as it was next to the edge of the shoot I might not see him again so , he had it . 
      I reckon it will medal .

F00CAC4E-B8F8-4BBB-B8E0-EC41C9E786B4.jpeg

956FBE17-0C31-4E44-90E6-A50119326452.jpeg

That’s a cracker, I’m obsessed with them, probably because we don’t have them up here, a few weeks ago when I was in Lincolnshire they were everywhere, the 2 lads I was out with don’t shoot them, I couldn’t get my head around that

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
10 minutes ago, Stavross said:

That’s a cracker, I’m obsessed with them, probably because we don’t have them up here, a few weeks ago when I was in Lincolnshire they were everywhere, the 2 lads I was out with don’t shoot them, I couldn’t get my head around that

I just got the tape measure out and I think it will scrape a bronze .

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Stavross said:

It’s on my list of hunting experiences for the next 12 months, an animal as fine as that would be nice but to be honest I be happy with any, everyone I know who has eaten it has said it’s the finest venison around ?

I honestly can’t tell the difference between munty and roe. A young fallow takes a bit of beating. 
         I’ve not tried any but there are those who reckon CWD to be the best venison . 

10 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I honestly can’t tell the difference between munty and roe. A young fallow takes a bit of beating. 

To be fair I like it all, probably because I’m from up north and to us there’s not much better than free food ?

5 minutes ago, Stavross said:

To be fair I like it all, probably because I’m from up north and to us there’s not much better than free food ?

You don’t have to be from up north to like free grub. I don’t think there are a tighter bunch than Gloucestershire  folk , we f@cking squeak  .??

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, shovel leaner said:

You don’t have to be from up north to like free grub. I don’t think there are a tighter bunch than Gloucestershire  folk , we f@cking squeak  .??

I have an uncle that’s called long pockets, everyone says his pockets are to deep so he can’t reach his cash to pay for anything ?

• Haha 1
54 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I think CWD is the best venison IMHO 

• Like 1

I don’t much read this thread but here’s a little contribution now I’m busy.

This bitch is 9 months this week and I had no intention of entering her until December tbh but she’s been out with me most mornings now for the last two weeks. She’s a f***ing angel and I can’t wait till next season when we’ll have a steady season behind us and I can Chuck it at her! She’s doing so well I expect she’ll be in the beating line with me later this month being allowed to do carefully chosen spots and no doubt she’ll continue to impress.

Dogging in is pretty quiet here so far.

365B59EB-AFFD-48F5-B11E-5A31FCE73B38.jpeg

8ED4049A-17FC-4A66-8619-3B42554F8845.jpeg

• Like 7

Well its 1st October and start of the season so I popped out with the little dog to try for a pheasant. Typical nothing about , I only lifted one ,a beautiful Black cock which took me by surprise with the gun not shouldered properly I managed to bring it down but unfortunately it was a strong runner and although I searched for it alas I never picked it ? Nice to be out and the dog enjoyed it even though I only managed a single bunny ? Hopefully a few more about next time ?

20211001_110542.jpg

• Like 5