Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Autumn has finally arrived, the leaves are on the turn and although it was still 10 degrees when I got to the shoot at 8:45 this morning there was definitely a noticeable change in the weather, the birds at the forestry pen are still not straying to far, which is a first for here as normally it’s a nightmare keeping them, as for Gordon’s pen, Jesus, that lot are off roost and out for the day, when I got into the yard and looked out over the back field there was easily 150 birds on it, luckily they seem to know where they live and according to the old girl they head back towards the pen around mid afternoon, I’m having the usual battle with the “ you will stop eating pellets and start eating wheat” situation, they are doing what they always do and will empty a feeder of wheat to get at one pellet, I’m sure they’ll come good and hopefully we’ll get some cold weather and the natural food will be used up, one thing I am glad about is no acorns this year, in the past when we’ve had good weather and a lot of acorns we’ve lost a lot of birds into the oak wood and they carry on into next doors shoot 

on another note ( rant ) the price of ammo is getting ridiculous, 29 quid for 20, .223 and no .17hmr for the last month ?

43006229-FA61-4082-8B38-0B6CD117E19A.jpeg

AC6C42CE-CABA-41BB-81B5-7B813B3A8B05.jpeg

7A005776-E5DC-4B1F-AFA7-D116AB421F9D.jpeg

841D4C36-ABE9-4132-8F6F-674731256F6D.jpeg

E787BA92-3BDC-4E5C-9D0B-338CB9BBFE93.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

Autumn has finally arrived, the leaves are on the turn and although it was still 10 degrees when I got to the shoot at 8:45 this morning there was definitely a noticeable change in the weather, the birds at the forestry pen are still not straying to far, which is a first for here as normally it’s a nightmare keeping them, as for Gordon’s pen, Jesus, that lot are off roost and out for the day, when I got into the yard and looked out over the back field there was easily 150 birds on it, luckily they seem to know where they live and according to the old girl they head back towards the pen around mid afternoon, I’m having the usual battle with the “ you will stop eating pellets and start eating wheat” situation, they are doing what they always do and will empty a feeder of wheat to get at one pellet, I’m sure they’ll come good and hopefully we’ll get some cold weather and the natural food will be used up, one thing I am glad about is no acorns this year, in the past when we’ve had good weather and a lot of acorns we’ve lost a lot of birds into the oak wood and they carry on into next doors shoot 

on another note ( rant ) the price of ammo is getting ridiculous, 29 quid for 20, .223 and no .17hmr for the last month ?

I’ve just seen hmr’s at £22:99/50?

19 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

I’ve just seen hmr’s at £22:99/50?

That’s crazy, the last one I bought were £13 for 50, normally where I was at today stocks Hornady, Winchester, Remington and CCI in .17hmr, he said all they have had in the last 2 months was 2000 Hornady that lasted a day, I’ve just had a look online and locally to me they have all gone up, some by as much as £5 a box

2 hours ago, Stavross said:

Get yourself a reloading setup stav, you can get all the stuff cheap second hand if you look about... it’s not that expensive brand new either. it’ll be a doddle for you working with engine tolerances for years?

33 minutes ago, Stavross said:

That’s crazy, the last one I bought were £13 for 50, normally where I was at today stocks Hornady, Winchester, Remington and CCI in .17hmr, he said all they have had in the last 2 months was 2000 Hornady that lasted a day, I’ve just had a look online and locally to me they have all gone up, some by as much as £5 a box

Yerr, they’ve gone up alright, I’ve just had a look and I’ve only got 223 hmr left. Thought I’d got more than that, but then I haven’t bought any for a good while. The last hornady’s I bought were £12:50 a box.

10 minutes ago, si brown said:

Get yourself a reloading setup stav, you can get all the stuff cheap second hand if you look about... it’s not that expensive brand new either. it’ll be a doddle for you working with engine tolerances for years?

Agreed, I can reload my .22 hornet for less than hmr money now, in fact I’ve just loaded some today.?

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, si brown said:

I’ve never bothered with rolling my own, I know a few that do but it was always a geek thing years ago, now it’s a financial thing and something I’m going to have to take a look at

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’ve never bothered with rolling my own, I know a few that do but it was always a geek thing years ago, now it’s a financial thing and something I’m going to have to take a look at

Its worth it and it gives you something to do on a night like this:(

just about to tackle a bag of spent 204’s… once you’ve wrapped you head round it it’s a doddle!

you can go way to far into it but I’ve found the bullet manufacture data is usually spot on so no messing about?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’ve just been having a look at reloading gear, my heads hurting now ?

Have a look at what you need, then buy used off fleabay. Turret press, powder measure, die set and then it’s just consumables to get you started. As si says, no need to get too far into it. 

I just use an old Lyman turret press with an rcbs uni flow powder measure mounted on the press. Sizing die, seating die and crimp die.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Stavross said:

Who are you calling a geek, turnip ead!? 

• Haha 5

My advice is to buy the RCBS rockchucker kit . I bought second hand kit off eBay , a lot of Lee stuff, and all I’ve ended up doing is upgrading it to RCBS and Redding dies . I wish I’d just got really good stuff from the start . I do still use the Lee auto hand primer though which is good . 

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Thanks 1