Back up at the shoot

15 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Up again today and an early start so I could see where they were heading, as I expected onto the drilling and the stubble, there was not a many today as the weather is on the change now and it was a dull morning, keeping them a bit tighter in. I’m at the stage now where I’m swapping them over onto wheat and they are doing what they always do, flicking the wheat out the feeders to get at what little bit of pellet is mixed in with the wheat, I hung around until mid afternoon, doing a few jobs around the farm for the old girl and as expected there they come waddling through the yard heading back towards Gordon’s pen. I found one bird stuck between the netting on the forestry pen, I’ve no idea how it got to where it was but the others were around it pecking at it, the poor bugger was still alive ( just) they really are evil little sh*ts, I’ve got someone else going at the weekend so have told him where and what to feed and where I’ve put a couple of old bails out to feed on, fingers crossed he does what I said ?

D628DF99-0F30-4A3D-8571-31FC3275FB28.jpeg

5BE9B388-6706-4CFE-8A04-9996A1FEF535.jpeg

26EE3CC3-E4DF-4CE4-AFD9-D31C76AECD71.jpeg

0B58E025-5DC9-4DBF-B866-C6F638D6A3BC.jpeg

Good luck with the weekend work Stav, I usually end up thinking I wish I’d done it myself. Like I did today in fact, after checking some feeders...I’ll spare you the details ?

• Haha 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Good luck with the weekend work Stav, I usually end up thinking I wish I’d done it myself. Like I did today in fact, after checking some feeders...I’ll spare you the details ?

I know something won’t be right, if he does only one thing right, I hope it’s hand feeding wheat in the straw and under the scratchers ?

• Haha 1

Just had a couple of hours on a vermin mooch , still too warm 22c and very breezy. Didnt see a lot but any vermin brought to book is a good thing , especially the 2 magpies ? Unfortunately I am not the only person who shoots this ground and spent some time picking up spent cartridges , why cant they just pick them up ?

20210924_110908.jpg

20210924_114649.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

That drives me mental, I’ve no idea why anyone thinks it’s acceptable to to not take any kind of rubbish home with them ?

last night’s adventure was a trip out with longshanx after some venison, we arrived a little late and being an overcast evening we were losing the light fast, we spotted a pair of roe down the field but the wind was behind us, so we had to hop the other side of the hedge to give us a bit of cover, as we headed towards them along the hedge it looked like the shot was on, then 2 army helicopters came over and set them off running ( no wonder I spent my misspent youth beating up squaddies ?) we followed and came across them again, this time in the middle of a field but again the wind was the wrong way and they were soon off out of sight, by this time we had about lost the light but looking through the thermal we could see another 4 further over, so the plan is to get there earlier tonight to allow us to cover more ground. I just need to get my head down for a bit because I was in A+E at half 4 this morning with the missus because she decided to pass out in the bathroom and broke her nose when she fell, when I found her it looked like a murder scene, I didn’t know if to help her up or draw a chalk outline around her

• Sad 2
3 hours ago, Stavross said:

That drives me mental, I’ve no idea why anyone thinks it’s acceptable to to not take any kind of rubbish home with them ?

last night’s adventure was a trip out with longshanx after some venison, we arrived a little late and being an overcast evening we were losing the light fast, we spotted a pair of roe down the field but the wind was behind us, so we had to hop the other side of the hedge to give us a bit of cover, as we headed towards them along the hedge it looked like the shot was on, then 2 army helicopters came over and set them off running ( no wonder I spent my misspent youth beating up squaddies ?) we followed and came across them again, this time in the middle of a field but again the wind was the wrong way and they were soon off out of sight, by this time we had about lost the light but looking through the thermal we could see another 4 further over, so the plan is to get there earlier tonight to allow us to cover more ground. I just need to get my head down for a bit because I was in A+E at half 4 this morning with the missus because she decided to pass out in the bathroom and broke her nose when she fell, when I found her it looked like a murder scene, I didn’t know if to help her up or draw a chalk outline around her

Fingers crossed it’s only a broken nose and nothing more serious  with the passing out thing.  Hope she’s all right bud ?

• Like 3
6 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Just had a couple of hours on a vermin mooch , still too warm 22c and very breezy. Didnt see a lot but any vermin brought to book is a good thing , especially the 2 magpies ? Unfortunately I am not the only person who shoots this ground and spent some time picking up spent cartridges , why cant they just pick them up ?

20210924_110908.jpg

20210924_114649.jpg

Lost a permission to " my abandoned emptys" only they weren't mine ?

The landowner,s son and his cronies did it and blamed me .

Totally understand your anger ? 

• Sad 3
5 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Fingers crossed it’s only a broken nose and nothing more serious  with the passing out thing.  Hope she’s all right bud ?

She’s ok mate, she’s known for passing out, she’s had loads of tests and they don’t know why she does it, it’s becoming less frequent over the years but the injuries are getting worse, broken nose, broken fingers, broken elbow, it will get to a point where they won’t be able to put Humpty Dumpty back together again 

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

She’s ok mate, she’s known for passing out, she’s had loads of tests and they don’t know why she does it, it’s becoming less frequent over the years but the injuries are getting worse, broken nose, broken fingers, broken elbow, it will get to a point where they won’t be able to put Humpty Dumpty back together again 

That would worry me to death.

What if she sparked out and fell on to one of my guns and broke the stock! ?

No seriously it must be a worry, does she drive?

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, ianm said:

That would worry me to death.

What if she sparked out and fell on to one of my guns and broke the stock! ?

No seriously it must be a worry, does she drive?

Yeah, she drives but they think it’s certain situations that make it happen,  really stressful situations or pain, it’s called vasovagal syncope but as far as I know there’s no test to diagnose it 

It’s exactly like the goats ? it’s stress that makes them do it 

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 1

I got a phone call this afternoon from the farmer at the sheep farm asking if I’d go and sort the rabbits out on the small farm next door ( chicken johns) I thought I really can’t be arsed to go up to shoot half a dozen rabbits but as I’m the only person allowed to shoot up here and I don’t want anyone else on here I thought I’d better go, so getting 2 of the most hated bit of shooting kit out, the HMR and the NiteSite ( HMR because I can shoot right across the field with it and it’s very accurate and the NiteSite because it works really well for rabbit shooting, just mount it on the trigger sticks and just watch the screen as you spin it around) I set off to the farm, when I got there I looked through the thermal and there was a good number of rabbits in the fields where I was told they were after shooting 12 or so I looked around with the thermal and spotted a fox the other side of the field and a bit further up the hedge than I was. Looking at it through my telly sat on the scope it did look a fare way off and not having any extra IR wasn’t helping matters, I took a long time to make my mind up about taking the shot, lining up on it I gave it a little mouth squeak so it turned and looked at me, with the crosshairs between the eyes I pulled the trigger, I was glad I made the decision to take the shot, not an instant death with two or three flips in the field, before it expired but it was going nowhere. I paced it out at 137 so with the HMR and NiteSite I was more than happy with that, back at the rabbits and I got another 14 missing 3, so well worth the trip out, 26 rabbits and 1 of this years dog fox 3/4 grown cub, I took 7 of the rabbits home with me for baiting the traps at the shoot and left the rest in the hope of a few more foxes before lambing, preferably with the.223 next time

BA7B7CE0-D753-4322-99C2-1F3E130BF0A0.jpeg

• Like 7

That's a top night mate especially with the moon up but it's a bit windier tonight than last night. I was out last night for an hour and spotted a fox as I drove in the farm with the headlights but no chance of a shot , it was like daylight and not a breath of wind. Looks like we have got rain for the next week  too so wont be out this week I think but we need to conserve petrol anyway as the garages round here are empty ?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

That's a top night mate especially with the moon up but it's a bit windier tonight than last night. I was out last night for an hour and spotted a fox as I drove in the farm with the headlights but no chance of a shot , it was like daylight and not a breath of wind. Looks like we have got rain for the next week  too so wont be out this week I think but we need to conserve petrol anyway as the garages round here are empty ?

Yeah, the fuel thing is mental, people are idiots, there’s a shortage of drivers, not fuel, I’m really glad I went out because I really didn’t want to, but that’s always how it goes, you can’t shoot anything sat in the house ?

• Like 1