Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

I know someone who has a few goats and they are horrible little tw*ts, all they want to do is headbutt you, I was working in one of the paddocks, on my knees with my back turned and one of the little sh*ts ran from the other end of the paddock and butted me in the back, took the wind out of me, good and proper 

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Goats are the worst imo. The single most pointless waste of space species on this planet (scousers a close 2nd place mind) 

Great in a curry though.....?

.....the goats, not the scousers?

Edited by Dervburner
  • Haha 4

Feeding again today and they really are starting to look like proper pheasants now, they are throughout the shoot but the majority are still coming back to the pens to roost, it’s the water that’s bringing them back as the whole place is bone dry, I’ve got a good number of birds that have set up home over in the piggeries drives, some ours, some next doors so I’ve got a couple of water troughs in the middle along with some wheat to hopefully hold the birds, again the only water over there is what I’ve put out, usually by this time of year it’s soaking up there, but this good weather looks like it’s worked in my favour, allowing me to hold the birds where I want them, my fallow doe’s have turned up again, I’ve not seen many lately, but had a group of 6 on the ride that separates the 2 drives over the piggeries, always nice to see, just got to find the boys now

• Like 7

Felt like autumn this morning. Having already fed and had breakfast, I went to do a bit of dogging-in . I’ve just got this one area that seems to draw the birds first thing . There is a national trust car park there and plenty of dog walkers . So I just get there , and if I see any out of control dogs , I can remind the owner of their responsibility’s as a dog owner. 
          Nice and quiet today and me and Tilly, my 11 year old Border terrier had a moment to appreciate how nice my office is . It really does feel like the “season of mists and mellow fruitfulness “. 

F041D07D-D198-4F42-A4CA-D9B61C4CD1DB.jpeg

9CC5FA66-D13E-4587-9F04-E3015F9DA122.jpeg

• Like 7

They have cut the beans at long last . Even though there was a full moon , I thought I’d have a little look around. The first field of beans had a handful of roe and a few rabbits but no sign of Charlie. On to the second and I could see about 20/30 pheasants roosting down in the bean stubble, I reckon they have been roosting in the beans for ages . Then I spied Charlie on the far hedge row but it disappeared without offering a safe shot . I drove around a newly mown field of silage hoping to see something but was disappointed. I thought I’d have a look at the field where I missed a fox the other day . I hadn’t realised but they have cultivated it and there in almost the exact same area was a fox , could iff to be the one I missed? A possible chance for redemption, I lined the crosshairs up behind its front leg at about 100meters . There wasn’t the usual thud , but the fox dropped. Then started to writhe about,  then it started to drag it’s back legs at it struggled to cross the field. I took another shot and missed, then another and it fell lifeless. As I went to pick it up I could see that my first shot was high on its back . Oh well nothing else for it but to call it a night and check zero the next day . 
              Well I checked zero and it was out , not a lot , but enough, high and to the right . I’ve not had to zero this scope for most of the year , but I must of knocked it . Back on zero now . Ready for another night , I think without too much moon on my next trip . It was like daylight last night. 

17668922-CC1F-45AA-ADC9-3E2C6915EC98.jpeg

46F2ECFD-CE4F-491E-80BE-50242CAAFF42.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 6

Up again today and an early start so I could see where they were heading, as I expected onto the drilling and the stubble, there was not a many today as the weather is on the change now and it was a dull morning, keeping them a bit tighter in. I’m at the stage now where I’m swapping them over onto wheat and they are doing what they always do, flicking the wheat out the feeders to get at what little bit of pellet is mixed in with the wheat, I hung around until mid afternoon, doing a few jobs around the farm for the old girl and as expected there they come waddling through the yard heading back towards Gordon’s pen. I found one bird stuck between the netting on the forestry pen, I’ve no idea how it got to where it was but the others were around it pecking at it, the poor bugger was still alive ( just) they really are evil little sh*ts, I’ve got someone else going at the weekend so have told him where and what to feed and where I’ve put a couple of old bails out to feed on, fingers crossed he does what I said ?

D628DF99-0F30-4A3D-8571-31FC3275FB28.jpeg

5BE9B388-6706-4CFE-8A04-9996A1FEF535.jpeg

26EE3CC3-E4DF-4CE4-AFD9-D31C76AECD71.jpeg

0B58E025-5DC9-4DBF-B866-C6F638D6A3BC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2