Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Stavross said:

Big busy day for me up at the shoot today, feeders placed out, feed around the pens,  tracks made to get the quad down, new security light fitted and signs ( for dog walkers to ignore) put up for the old girl, I was joined later in the afternoon by a rare beast in these parts, the lesser spotted shoot captain who had brought me half a tonne of wheat, he told me that a couple of members want to help out, (REALLY) they want to do what I do, up there every 48 hours, no matter what the weather or what the missus has planned, oh, it’s the weekend and she wants to go shopping and out for a bit of dinner, I bet they haven’t got the arse to say, “ I can’t I have to go and do the birds” so no thanks, I’ll just keep going the way I’m going and if the captain is good to his word the members will be tipping me at the end of the season to cover the cost of some of my fuel.

the birds are looking really well, they have spread out across the shoot and are making their way into some of the bigger drives, I’ve got a couple of freshly drilled fields, one at the back of the farm that the birds are heading to and another at the bottom of the piggeries where there was approximately 70 birds, which I believe are from next door ? I’ve got a very good chance of keeping these and pulling a few more in,  it’s the same at the bottom of the farm field but these tend to come out onto the field during the day and make their way back onto next doors land 

so with wheat in some of the feeders and all the sunflower heads I can tap of people in the pens to keep them entertained for a bit, I think I’ve done all I can for now, just hope this rain we are forecast tomorrow isn’t to bad, saying that we have been very fortunate up to now with the weather we have had

C8E272C9-8A40-4605-8486-C2523373A702.jpeg

0128B59F-4980-4DC5-A834-9AD8C1F0EB3A.jpeg

171B742F-23A1-4B30-A324-2F16F02E8C7C.jpeg

67D00E19-E0EE-4697-BDCE-A586609DD23E.jpeg

D83E025C-8800-49A6-B6C5-B322D28E7026.jpeg

No no no!

Fourth picture, them legs need to go back to the KFC there is some hot wings missing.?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, ianm said:

No no no!

Fourth picture, them legs need to go back to the KFC there is some hot wings missing.?

He’s not daft that lad, turned up in shorts knowing that I’d be putting feeders out and having to walk through nettles and brambles “ oh look I’ve got my pasty bread stick looking legs out, you’ll have to do all the work”. I work with him as well, I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to winter ?

• Haha 2

I wish it would cool down , just been out for a few hours and I was knackered with the heat again, I think it was 20c when I went out and still 17c when I packed up at dusk. Anyway I spotted an old buck on the edge of an old game cover around 180 yds away. I watched him for a while and he gradually moved a bit closer and stood broadside,  I was already on the quads but had a bit of buck fever as havent shot a deer for about 3 months . I steadied myself and took the shot dropping him on the spot. What seemed like a good shot however wasnt as I was aiming behind the shoulder but hit him in the base of the neck ? Maybe it was just my buck fever and I pulled the shot ?  He was still in summer coat but starting to get his winter coat around  the face. Roll on some cooler weather ❄?

20210919_190923.jpg

• Like 7

Cracker that mate

I had an hour at the sheep farm tonight, seen 2 on the farm but nether was having any of it, disappearing onto next doors land, at one point a cat almost got it, it was only when I got it to come into the field that I noticed the tail and the little round head, it just goes to show, never take the shot unless you are 100%, when I left the farm I drive past a reservoir that the farmer has ewes in, looking into the field I seen the unmistakable head of a fox through the thermal, pulled over, loaded the rifle, rested between the door and the windscreen,  the fox didn’t move, just laid down in the grass, thud, head shot, there was no way I was going all the way round to pick it up, so a text to the farmer to tell him where it was and off home, this one sort of made up for the other 2 that wouldn’t come near 

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Theres no way I could have left it , I'm too nosey ? I would need to see if it was a dog or vixen , cub or adult and what condition it was in.

I’m the same , but I’ve learnt that if you start walking among ewes at night or for that matter cows that are suckling calf’s , all hell can break lose , in particular with sheep . I’ve spooked them so badly they’ve jumped walls and then I’ve spent the rest of the night getting them back . No I think Stavross did the right thing and left it for the farmer .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

It was an adult dog and the back of its head was missing, I said, send me a picture and he called me a sick basta*d and said he’s chucked it in the hedge and was not going back to take a picture of it ?

No picture no fox! thems the rules.? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
59 minutes ago, ianm said:

No picture no fox! thems the rules.? 

3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I'm in fields of sheep all the time and never had a problem they just look at you or move out the way , now cattle are a different story they can be mental especially young bullocks charging about all over , I always try and give them a wide berth ?

Depends how big the field is . I shoot a place that has them in small folds and if you spook them they are out . It might be the type of sheep also . Sheep are f@cking stupid animals . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, shovel leaner said:

Depends how big the field is . I shoot a place that has them in small folds and if you spook them they are out . It might be the type of sheep also . Sheep are f@cking stupid animals . 

The only aim in life for a sheep is to escape or die in the most random way possible ?

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

I feel like your cussing one of my own! 

If it’s any consolation I don’t hold cattle in too high a regard either. But I can’t forget the frustration of dealing, single handed at night with ewes with lambs . I would have left them but I know it would have cost my permission.

• Like 1