Back up at the shoot

Birds are still looking good, we never got the amount of rain that they said we were getting so what we did get didn’t really bother them, they need to be out the pens now so all the pop holes are open and the wire has been lifted, they will be going on a bit of wheat after the weekend, I dread to think what that stuff is per ton this year, I didn’t dare ask 

on another note I’m in the good books with her indoors, she decided she needed to buy a small shed for her 2 pet rabbits ( I know, she’s 35 ya know ?) and I got volunteered to kit it out, even though she knows I hate doing stuff like this, I still think I did ok job

363576B8-3A50-407E-8516-944BC46D46AC.jpeg

081A644E-3EF8-4B3B-8DC7-FE06F5EF3D46.jpeg

• Like 3

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Today I was protecting drillings again. The last 2 days I have watched this field and there have been 2 to 300 corvids on it so was looking forward to a red letter day. On arrival though there was no birds about ? but it was only 10 am. I always  sit it out all day expecting the birds to show up eventually. Anyway movement was slow but I shot really well taking most birds that ventured in range. I shot the best woodie I have ever shot , I took a right and left with the 1st bird at 40 yds and the 2nd at 60yds and it was stone dead , dropped like a brick, I was over the moon to say the least ? Not the red letter day I was expecting but a respectable 75 and 2 bonus squigs. 

20210911_180013.jpg

That’s still a cracking day out mate ?

• Like 1

Out at the sheep farm for a couple of hours tonight, on my own so I decided to go with the mouth call, when I got there the wind was coming in a direction I’d never seen before up there ( it’s always windy up there ) so I set myself up in the middle of a hedge back expecting if a fox was to make an appearance it would come from the top of the field in the direction of the wind, setting away with the mouth caller it was 20 minutes or so before a fox came through the hedge no more than 15 meters down wind of me, I clocked it through the thermal as it turned and looked at me, before running diagonally across the field, I did the stupid thing of giving it a shout, knowing fine well it wouldn’t stop but I think this was just frustration as I’m sure from where it came from it’s the second time this fox has done me ? I’ll give it one more go and then it’s getting baited 

on one of the fields there was about 250 lapwing which is always nice to see 

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Stavross said:

Out at the sheep farm for a couple of hours tonight, on my own so I decided to go with the mouth call, when I got there the wind was coming in a direction I’d never seen before up there ( it’s always windy up there ) so I set myself up in the middle of a hedge back expecting if a fox was to make an appearance it would come from the top of the field in the direction of the wind, setting away with the mouth caller it was 20 minutes or so before a fox came through the hedge no more than 15 meters down wind of me, I clocked it through the thermal as it turned and looked at me, before running diagonally across the field, I did the stupid thing of giving it a shout, knowing fine well it wouldn’t stop but I think this was just frustration as I’m sure from where it came from it’s the second time this fox has done me ? I’ll give it one more go and then it’s getting baited 

on one of the fields there was about 250 lapwing which is always nice to see 

Back to reality mate , no more bagfuls of easy Southern foxes ?

• Haha 1

Up to the shoot tonight and as we only had a couple of hours we just focused on one area ( the piggeries) it wasn’t long before we spotted 2 a long way off, a few different calls from pheasant distress to vixen in heat, but nothing, after 15 minutes or so they both disappeared through the hedge and I assume across the road, 15 minutes later another put in an appearance, again a long way off, as we kept an eye on it another came for the caravan field into our field, walked along the top of the hedge ( a good 400+ yards away) before going through the other side, caller on full volume pheasant distress it came back through but started mousing. Switching the call to field mouse it showed an interest and started towards the caller, it looked like it was going to come right in but the decided to carry on mousing towards the hedge to our right, completely ignoring the call, it stopped not far from the hedge so I thought this was going to be my only opportunity for a shot, lining up on the fox, bang, thud, the shot was good, it took ages to find it in the rape, even with the thermal, once we did find it we had ourselves a 3/4 vixen at 181 yards and we know we have more to go at, so we had better get our finger out before the birds start moving further out

0F5234BB-A42B-4DF9-8B89-915D5B0D91DD.png

• Like 8

Back up feeding this afternoon and I’m about to lose my sh*t, the last two feed days another member has been to feed, ( this is a pain in the arse for me, but it’s a syndicate, so if they want to help I can’t stop them ) after they have been they have rang me to tell me what they have done and what I’ve asked them to do, clearly lied ? to me, not a scrap of feed in any of the feeders, the birds are all over the place looking for food, I could hear the birds banging the springs on the empty feeders, ( 14 bags of feed I used in and around 2 pens, I normally use no more than 8 every 2 days ) they have even made it to the piggeries about 4 weeks earlier than I’d expect them to be there so I’ve had to put a couple of feeders out over there because the time of day it was there’s no way they were going back to the pen, I’d also asked someone to beat the bracken down on a ride that I’ll need to use in the next week or so, that hasn’t been done so I thought sod it and took the quad through it to make a track, again, asked a couple of them if they would fit a security light for the landlady at the farm, no volunteers, so I’ll be doing that on Saturday as well as feeding, moving feeder further out and god knows what else, oh yeah, I’ve got to move a ton of wheat up there as well, and people wonder why I’m a bad tempered tw*t when it comes to the members of this place, I’d love to do away with the syndicate and run it myself with the help of a couple of other and just sell days shooting 

anyway rant over

9C7F17A5-6FFE-4828-8DBE-D45DCE97EA15.jpeg

D50B9DE9-8B15-4A58-86FE-04274C5E72B6.jpeg

5008B68C-C2B7-4B4C-AB81-1F9787BF41F0.png

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

I know what you mean mate. I'd rather put in extra hours & do something myself then rely on others. Nobody ever does it as good as I would have anyway!! I'm off to cuddle lamby lamb!! 

It’s Louis Lamb and if you have take it form that little girl for your own pleasure you are a bad man ?

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Never mind Stavross, I guarantee they will all show up nice and early on shoot days .? Anyway, I don’t want to depress you any further but we are paying £200 per tonne for feed wheat . ?

They are an absolute shower of sh*t, the lad rang me last night to ask me how I got on, he got a proper blasting and then said thanks for going up, like he was my boss and I’d done him a favour 

ive been told 180 a ton for wheat, but we’ll see, we don’t pay for it until February 

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Stavross said:

They are an absolute shower of sh*t, the lad rang me last night to ask me how I got on, he got a proper blasting and then said thanks for going up, like he was my boss and I’d done him a favour 

ive been told 180 a ton for wheat, but we’ll see, we don’t pay for it until February 

I asked the supplier yesterday and was told £200 , I looked at the farmers weekly And  it’s about £192 . It changes with world supply, I think the harvest in Canada and Australia might bring it down a fraction.