Back up at the shoot

2 hours ago, Stavross said:

when I was his age I would of jumped at the chance of going somewhere like that, no need for bribes like riding around on quads or shooting rifles, it makes me sad that most kids are like this now

Yeah same here mate. So many of my daughters friends (especially those with older brothers/sisters) just want to sit on YouTube or TikTok. Half the stuff they watch they could actually be doing themselves instead of watching some spotty yank talking about it. Beggars belief. I'm so proud my girl isn't like it (yet??) We had walk about other day & she was telling me names of butterfly's that I didn't have clue what called (could have all been bollóckś like!!) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Back out tonight on longshanx’s land, we stopped off in the gateway of a field just down the road from the farm for me to have a go at the rabbits with the .22, before we go out the van I spotted what I thought was a deer, looked again and it was a fox approximately 200 metres away, sadly there no fox shooting on here as it’s part of the zetland hunt, so shooting 1 rabbits we made our way to the farm where we set off out after a buck, walking to the bottom of the field of wheat and along the field of rape, it wasn’t until we were heading back that a lovely looking roe came from the end of the rape making it’s way towards us, sadly it didn’t present a shot being face on until it was spooked by a buzzard and made its way through the hedge and out of sight,I guess this is why it’s called deer stalking and not deer shooting 

I shot another 4 rabbits, but this is not important when you have just missed out on a lovely looking buck

0CF63D4A-B0F7-41C4-BDE8-83608DFD29ED.jpeg

221AF496-B5D9-448A-B3F7-B42166BC1B2E.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Stavross said:

Well  I went through the camera and I’ve clearly got a fallow doe with a another smaller one in tow, I got a fleeting glimpse of what looked to be a young fallow buck, not much of a head on him at all, all the oats are down around the piggeries and the old girl has said the rape and wheat at the back of the farm should be down next week, she said she can’t wait until the rapes down because the deer are jumping into her grass field pulling the electric fence down, the good thing about this field is once the wheats off it gives you access to the oak wood drive and there’s normally deer grazing the edge of wood as the make there way from the forestry blocks

i didn’t get to go on my own today because the missus is off work and had volunteered me to look after the nephew, so off we went like a little weird family, he didn’t want to go, then when he was told there was no options he wanted to take his bike. Bike in the back we set off, once we got there I went and got the quad, all of a sudden he’s not interested in his bike, so we had a ride over to collect the camera on the quad, then went back to the farm to collect the missus and explain to him that we were now going to walk for a mile or so, he didn’t seem to quite grasp the concept of walking and was knackered 500 yards in ? his mood soon changed when he found out he was about to have a lesson on shooting  the .223, to be fair to the lad he listened and did everything he was told and hit the target on his second attempt, is it just me or are youngsters just a bit weird now, when I was his age I would of jumped at the chance of going somewhere like that, no need for bribes like riding around on quads or shooting rifles, it makes me sad that most kids are like this now ☹️

Well yesterday i spent the day on the grouse moor with my eleven year old grandson. The keeper had told me a couple of days before that he was a bit short on beaters, so i said i would bring my grandson. When i asked if he wanted to go he jumped at the chance. I didn't tell him what it involved. He did really well, beating every drive on rough ground. When we finished, we all met up back at the farmhouse from where we had set off. Cups of tea and fruit juices where the order of the day and the keeper went round paying people. I hadn't mentioned to my grandson that you got paid for it to see if he was keen enough without. Before he knew anything about it he said he wanted to do it again. Then the keeper turned up to pay us and gave him a fifty pound note. His face was a picture, he didn't even know that there are fifty pound notes. He was absolutely made up.      

• Like 8
1 hour ago, ianm said:

Well yesterday i spent the day on the grouse moor with my eleven year old grandson. The keeper had told me a couple of days before that he was a bit short on beaters, so i said i would bring my grandson. When i asked if he wanted to go he jumped at the chance. I didn't tell him what it involved. He did really well, beating every drive on rough ground. When we finished, we all met up back at the farmhouse from where we had set off. Cups of tea and fruit juices where the order of the day and the keeper went round paying people. I hadn't mentioned to my grandson that you got paid for it to see if he was keen enough without. Before he knew anything about it he said he wanted to do it again. Then the keeper turned up to pay us and gave him a fifty pound note. His face was a picture, he didn't even know that there are fifty pound notes. He was absolutely made up.      

It’s great when they just want to be there and nice for them when they get something at the end of it they weren’t expecting, the best part for me is knowing they would want to come without any incentive, just for the enjoyment of the day out ?

there’s not much grouse shooting around here this year, the count was very low this year 

• Like 1

A mate of mine , who recently lost his wife to cancer had a day on the grouse booked in Scotland on the twelfth. It was to be a once in a lifetime, bucket list sort of thing . However he was contacted recently to say that there was not enough grouse to shoot. They offered him a simulated day , some red stalking and some fly fishing and pigeon shooting instead. He has taken up the offer and headed off up there . I said “can’t you get your money back “? He said he was looking forward to just getting away and some new scenery, and he said that the hotel was booked and paid for , so he might as well go and help the struggling economy. I hope he enjoys his break . Maybe next year he can enjoy his “big day “.

• Like 4

Could still be a " mcnab" if the pigeons are allowed ?

Still a proper weekend away and maybe a wee dram or two to help the evening along .

Don't forget to tell him to bring u a souvenir"bottle" back S,l .12 year old Balvennie double barrel should do ?

• Haha 2

Well I popped out again on the barley stubble field that is drilled with turnips as still lots of birds hitting it. After previously shooting 174 and 83 I wondered how it would go. Anyway my shooting was below standard missing easy birds for some reason but eventually found my rhythm.  I had 3 mixed right and lefts of pigeon and corvid ? A skein of 25 greylags landed , hope they hang around til the 1st...I also saw a pair of grey partridge but sadly no young with them , must have lost their brood,  not surprising the amount of corvids about ?  Final bag 140 ?

20210814_181546.jpg

• Like 6

Back out on the stubbles again last night , did see 1 fox on a fresh cut field but unfortunately wind was swirling all over and it didnt hang about. On the way out of the farm I checked the last field where I got 2 Cubs back in June and there was a fox coming down the hedge line but before I could get in position it vanished into cover. So I put out the caller playing hare distress and 7 mins in the fox appeared crossing a little bridge over a ditch , once it reached the other side I sent the 100 grain pill which hit it right on the chin ......

20210816_010157.jpg

• Like 2
On 14/08/2021 at 21:23, FOXHUNTER said:

Well I popped out again on the barley stubble field that is drilled with turnips as still lots of birds hitting it. After previously shooting 174 and 83 I wondered how it would go. Anyway my shooting was below standard missing easy birds for some reason but eventually found my rhythm.  I had 3 mixed right and lefts of pigeon and corvid ? A skein of 25 greylags landed , hope they hang around til the 1st...I also saw a pair of grey partridge but sadly no young with them , must have lost their brood,  not surprising the amount of corvids about ?  Final bag 140 ?

20210814_181546.jpg

Good shooting Mark. The greylags are plentiful around here, but the last few years they’ve hung around until 31st August and then pi55ed off. I think they’ve got a calendar?

• Like 1