Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

I’m up there in the morning so I’ll check it ? normally nothing uses it for the first couple of days, but once they are used to it they keep coming back, as soon as the oats are down it’s much easier to spot them along the forestry 

• Like 1

Yeah, it’s the top of the piggeries, all the fields around the piggeries are still in crop as soon it’s down they tend to graze along the edge of the fields, I haven’t seen much at the minute apart from them 2 doe’s and a couple of roe bucks but the cover is really thick

They have already drilled the big field of barley they cut last week with rape, I hope they leave the piggerie fields in stubble a bit longer than that, it’s nice to have them a bit further out on the stubble 

• Like 1

Yep stubbles aren't left for long these days. Popped into a farm today for a bit craic and there was a guy there who wants a few rabbits shooting,  only a few fields but apparently a few there , so told him to let me know when the grass is cut. 

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Yep stubbles aren't left for long these days

Mores the pity. Trouble is not much grain gets spilled/wasted these days anyway even if stubbles are left there's not as much for birds to get out of them. ?

Those IBCs are a ball ache, we are extremely fortunate that our woods and pens are supplied via underground pipes from the mains. A few years ago i fitted automatic drinkers everywhere, watering the birds is no bother now. 

1 hour ago, ianm said:

Those IBCs are a ball ache, we are extremely fortunate that our woods and pens are supplied via underground pipes from the mains. A few years ago i fitted automatic drinkers everywhere, watering the birds is no bother now. 

We used to have a right carry on with water, having water butts fed by old water bowsers, the birds would paddle the area up in no time, now we have the IBC’s on frames and poultry drinkers hanging from frames off the ground fed by the alkathene pipes running through the pens it’s much better, and they last a full season on one tank

28 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

How many birds are you releasing Stav

Putting 800 down this year, we’ve still got a good few knocking around the far side of the shoot ( mainly cock birds ) and a few hens around the farm with young, I’ll put feeders out over the far side before the poults come and hopefully the cocks will stay over there and not come poult bothering around the pens

Edited by Stavross

Back up to the shoot this evening to walk my dinner off, the intention was to have a look for some fallow, the wind was terrible, blowing in all directions, I didn’t see any fallow but when I checked the camera trap there was a nice roe buck on it, I also see another 4 roe on my way back to the farm, as soon as these oats and rape are down and with a bit of luck something will turn up, still a nice way to kill a couple of hours on a Sunday 

853E25BD-0653-4AF6-B070-7F92FC0B5C87.jpeg

8DE10348-84D4-484A-BE6E-6E523499EC68.jpeg

5662B7DA-DA57-4493-929E-5988C146B7BD.jpeg

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Stavross said:

Back up to the shoot this evening to walk my dinner off

the wind was terrible

I didn’t see any fallow

They probably smelt you if wind was that bad after Sunday dinner!! 

• Haha 4