Back up at the shoot

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Surprised you got out mate as the weather was mist and drizzle all night up here. I was having a new boiler fitted so was indoors all day but not to worry as I've got all week off to get some shooting done. Off out tonight to try for an old buck I've been after then lamping to see if any foxes about?

Good luck ? 

no mist up there and I managed to dodge the rain until just after 11

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Well I've been out since 4.30 and no sign of the buck , only saw a doe. Feeling hungry I headed back to the car and on route spotted a bunny sitting 100 yds away , so shot it with the .243 , contrary to popular belief hardly any damage so the dog will be having rabbit for tea as the freezer is getting a bit low on venison for him. Need to start filling it up soon with bunnies. Just had my pizza and off out again to see if I have any better luck with the foxes ?

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Well I've been out since 4.30 and no sign of the buck , only saw a doe. Feeling hungry I headed back to the car and on route spotted a bunny sitting 100 yds away , so shot it with the .243 , contrary to popular belief hardly any damage so the dog will be having rabbit for tea as the freezer is getting a bit low on venison for him. Need to start filling it up soon with bunnies. Just had my pizza and off out again to see if I have any better luck with the foxes ?

Good luck ? 

Well it turned out to be a great night. 1st port of call was a farm with 3 barley stubbles. I set up in the 1st field and after 20 mins of calling had a cub coming in lovely to hare distress call , shot at around 120 yds but it was a runner dropping after around 50 yds , amazes me at times. Set up on the 3rd field and had a vixen barking her alarm call over the river over the boundary so nothing showed here.

On to the next farm and 1st call where I was hopeful produced nothing so headed down to the next field with rushes adjacent a copse. No need to call as spotted a fox straight away , a few lip squeaks had it coming in a bit closer and another cub in the bag. As I scanned around there was another fox which must have come to my squeaking but unseen as I was fixated on the one I just shot. This fox took off though and tried to circle me , I followed it and it made the mistake of a quick look back , vixen added to bag ?It was getting late now and I was happy with 3 but a quick scan into the next field and there was another .....lip squeaked a bit closer and no 4 for the night ....

DSC00095.JPG

DSC00097.JPG

• Like 8
27 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Cracking night out that, let’s hope there’s a few more out there for you ?

Should be as that's only 1 out of one litter and 2 out the other plus I couldn't do the field I wanted to do as still uncut rape , a field that usually produces ??

Well a day of 2 halves today , out at 4.30 am and managed a murder buck , good one to take off the ground as could do serious damage in the rut. Then in the afternoon I sat on a barley stubble,  not many birds about but what there was decoyed fantastic. 

20210803_055159.jpg

20210803_181819.jpg

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Got to mate as rain forecast from Thursday 

Friday and Saturday don’t look good which is a shame because I’ve just got another good field to shoot across the road from my shoot, it has a cracking strip of wood on it that looks like it will hold fallow, I wanted to get up there and check it out 

• Like 1

Back out for a look around this evening . It was absolutely still with not a breath of wind . There doesn’t seem to be many foxes around but I try to be proactive as apposed to reactive in my foxing. I wasn’t expecting much . I started off just sitting in the mule scanning from a hill top that gives me a great vantage point and has yielded lots of foxes over the years . 
          Lots of deer and a few rabbits but no foxes. I decided to have a drive around . There are a couple of good fields that I haven’t been around yet . If I shoot these fields I’ve got to make a few texts and phone calls , partly out of courtesy and not wanting to alarm locals and also not wanting the police turning up and ruining my night . Because of all the “PR” I don’t bother with these fields much , but needs must and I’ve not shot a fox for too long and I decided to make the calls earlier. As soon as I entered the field I spotted Charlie, sat on its arse having a good scratch of its ear , “ got to be a cub “ I whispered to Adam . I got set up , bipod and took aim , but the image was poor , so I switched on the IR . But as I did it decided to get up and walk off , I squeaked in desperation , but it was trotting off faster now. “Oi” it stopped, thwack. That  sound , that lovely sound when the shot is good and your bullet finds its mark . I left it where it was and continued around the fields to collect later . After a bit of time calling with the Icotec , I decided to call it a night and went to collect the cub , but what a surprise, not a cub , but a good sized dog fox . A result, one fox seen and one fox dead . As good as you can hope for . 

5CB7D59A-B7AC-4F89-8C8F-9ABFCA5FA191.jpeg

• Like 6