Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, si brown said:

It’s great this time of year, all the farmers round here have kids in the cabs :)

My lass took her son to her brothers farm yesterday for the summer, he’s been going there every school break for last two years and loving it..

she’s stayed on for a few days with them as well, super sexy photo of her sheep dipping kit? and she’s been out muck spreading this aft?

D9DCD135-FBE4-410C-BC47-D4F5A2536BCB.jpeg.9db869d2d615d4ee96caa5e514c7402f.jpeg

Yes we’ve got the grandkids three days a week for the holidays. I think the boy enjoys getting out and about , I’ve got him driving the mule along the line of feeders while I top up the hoppers . I also got the air rifle out and got him plinking. 

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’ve found him a new ride, to go with his smooth radio ?

5BD8892A-4DC0-4F19-A7F3-9944A535539B.png

Haha sassy ferguson! ?

You lot don't know what you missing bit of smooth country really sets the tone!! 

• Haha 1
53 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’ve found him a new ride, to go with his smooth radio ?

5BD8892A-4DC0-4F19-A7F3-9944A535539B.png

You did seem to find that a bit too quick & easy - grinder profile picture?? 

"Lonely country northerner seeks some direct drilling "

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Haha 5

Had a sit out at dusk overlooking the fresh cut 20 acre barley field . There were Fallow already out when I turned up at 9.20 pm . Then I witnessed the first bit of the Roe rut with a nice buck chasing a doe . I saw a muntjac and a badger but no foxes . At 10.15 I turned the caller on , rabbit distress. I gave it 15 minutes then changed it to fox cub chatter , then at 10.45 Adam spotted Charlie to my left , I was stood on the back of the mule using the roof to shoot off because they haven’t finished baling yet and  there are still rows of straw , so a more elevated shooting position was called for . A simple 60 meter shot and it was down . We gave it a bit longer but nothing else showed. We went and picked it up and it was my first cub of the year , I’ve trapped two but not shot any and I’m a bit baffled because I’ve shot two vixens that have had Cubs , but we’re running out of milk so the Cubs would have survived. This one was very small and must of been a late litter. 

3568E58D-D336-44E5-83B6-44999A37661C.jpeg

6925CC3A-3D3E-4830-8152-F1C44D74DBDC.jpeg

377BB274-272E-40AE-8A40-CED9B52DF054.jpeg

• Like 6

After reading few write ups on here lately, just wondering how many of you go foxing with someone else? I'd just think it was another chance for Charlie to clock you, and if someone else cocked it up I wouldn't be impressed. Is it just for company?? Cos you can't chat/laugh much surely?? Just interested. 

11 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

After reading few write ups on here lately, just wondering how many of you go foxing with someone else? I'd just think it was another chance for Charlie to clock you, and if someone else cocked it up I wouldn't be impressed. Is it just for company?? Cos you can't chat/laugh much surely?? Just interested. 

I daren’t go on my own because I’m scared of the dark.......?

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

If I’m on foot I go alone usually. I used to always go alone when I shoot from the ATV , however the last couple of seasons I’ve got a good partner who has accompanied me . There’s no room for sightseers, he spots and does the gates , which really speeds the night along. Also he doesn’t talk too much , which is good . The problem I used to have was during the summer, when I’m foxing two or three nights a week, you are out until late . Most people have work the next day and can’t put a late night in . My mate doesn’t bother too much and like me catches up with a cat nap after supper.?

• Haha 1
44 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

75% of the time I have someone with me for 3 reasons, firstly, if I’m covering a lot of ground, it’s another pair of eyes, second, it’s someone to carry things and retrieve shot stuff and thirdly, ( this just applies to the lad who comes to the shoot with me ) I can’t fart without him wanting a sniff and if I go without him his toys come out the pram 

when my sheep farmer mate used to come with me I’d ring him every time I was going out, before tech, when it was just lamps and mouth calls, he could call a fox using anything from his hand to a blade of grass and wasn’t interested in shooting them, he would rather send the dog ( pre ban of course) he also had eyes like a sh*t house rat and would spot things way way before me and got a buzz out of getting it as close as he could to us, I miss going out with Mosh ☹️

• Like 4

I used to go out with other people for a lot of years but got sick of ringing them to go out and couldn't make it. Once out they often wanted to be home , I dont have time limits as it ruins the night. I now go solo and find it much better as go out when you want,  come home when you want and get to do the shooting. I found I got better results too. ??

• Like 1