Back up at the shoot

This time of year funks me off 

sat on the patio wondering what to do the weekend ( drinking bottles) 

foxing , everything is to high , fallow 1st aug 

crows, fed up of them , pigeon, same as 

think I’m taking a chill pill for a bit , the worst is I’m on holiday for the next three weeks , and she’s got

a list as long as your arm , fuc her to 

?

• Haha 5

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, David.evans said:

think I’m taking a chill pill for a bit , the worst is I’m on holiday for the next three weeks , and she’s got

?

Not long now Dave and it will all be down, most of the barley is ready now, rape’s a bit behind up here ( about 3 weeks away) and the wheat looks between 3 or 4 weeks, then we can fill our boots ??

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, David.evans said:

?

Get yourself on the crows or pigeons , cant be fed up of them. Not a good forecast anyway hope it changes. 

I got a phone call so took a trip to see a farmer and he was moving hay bales into trailer loads and he said there's a few rabbits about you will know what areas . So i took a walk with the rimmy . First thing i saw was a cracking Roe buck then i took out 4 fox cubs and after a couple of hours i had 20 rabbits so called it a night . i was away for a week and went back and first thing i see was a fox looking at me over a gorse bush so i gave it a lead earing then after a couple of hours i had 4 rabbits and was frustrated by the length of the cover so i took a run down the farm road and got another couple  and called it a night . Them the next night the farmer phoned me and said a car went threw the  gate on the rough field and demolished it now theres a red 09  pickup sitting just inside the field the back doors open but theres no keys in it is your son  doing the rabbits  ? after saying my son would only be there with me he said i couldn't see anybody but after my tea i will go back and block it in with a trailer . I went up on Sunday but had to admit defeat with the cover  its a rough grass field full of gorse bushes and hes never had anything grazing it so i dont know the out come yet but i will find out this weekend i think it was someone out with theres dogs but for a usually placid guy he was really pissed off 

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Plenty of barley baled here now 

I been up my mates farm today doing a little fencing job for him, the new Holland mechanic was there settling the cutting head up on his 21 plate combine ( to go with his 19 plate, tracked combine ) parked up alongside his 20 plate tractor, new drill and new grain trailer, another skint farmer ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Only thing cut here is one field of hay LOL  the rest wont be cut till mid august , then he says theres loads of rabbits running in and out the bottom of the big field the cattle are in but i dont know if somebody was in with dog or lamped it as one night last week they went threw the fence and took out 6 stabs LOL can you thin them out one night ?. im going to see what its like Friday night as its back to rain sat & sun 

• Like 2

This thread is unusually quiet? Well we had one field of barley cut and it yielded nothing the first night . Then yesterday they quickly cut and gathered three silage fields . I was looking forward to an early night but the prospect of an easy fox was too much . After checking the pens I settled down to a twilight vigil. Nothing showed. I did a couple of laps of the cut fields and decided to call it a night at about 11.30pm . However on the way back to the farm to put the mule away I passed the cut barley field that still has the bales left out . Even over the sound of the mule engine which is noisy , I could hear a little owl going mad . I checked with the thermal and there was Charlie, fortunately for him it was not a safe shot as there was a hedge behind and horses are out . So we still have a couple on the ground I’m guessing, not many though . Frustrating for someone like me who likes to pull the trigger, but not a bad situation when there are thousands of young dumb pheasant poults or as I call them “ fox McNuggets “ in the pens .?

• Haha 2
20 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Just make sure you retrieve them all , I don’t want any any in my supermarket shopping ?

Sorry for crows in your shopping but impossible to pick them all , I will pick what I can but from experience it's not easy. I have told the farmer and happy about it as just wants them shot.

• Like 1