Back up at the shoot

14 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Looks beautiful,  glad you had a quiet night hopefully be the same tonight.

I’m going to put a good dollop of my “ fox juice “ out in the middle . Hopefully he gets a whiff of it and stops long enough for me to deal with him. Like I always say I only have to get lucky once . 

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

In this heat it will be honking , hopefully he will oblige ?I'm off to Scotland tomorrow,  just hope the midges behave.

This is the stuff you want for them midges fh, my mate who’s on the dales said it’s loads better than the skin so soft and it’s mega cheap

63BFB98F-C7F6-44A5-A55C-24935EF920F3.jpeg.74b51f462954c6316c9a45fd291d9c65.jpeg

• Like 3

A bit of an update. I’m sat outside the pen on my all night vigil the time as I write this is 3.39am and I’ve just shot the second fox of the night . My original plan was to put some fox juice out ( to get Charlie to stop and sniff, instead of just running) shoot the fox , then put a radio on to make a human noise to scare foxes, then go home to bed . Well it didn’t quite work out like that . The first part of the plan worked like a charm. Charlie entered the field and instead of running he stopped to sniff , and down he went . Unfortunately the sound of my .223 made about 50 poults fly out of the pen and land all over the field. Nothing else for it , just have to sit this one out . So I’m trying to get a bit of shut eye, but it’s not that comfortable, I keep scanning every now and then . Owls keep hooting in my ear , and to cap it all I’ve got a bit of a dodgy stomach, “ where’s a toilet when you need one”? So I’d just resolved to go and have a “ wild one” and thought I’d have one more scan to check, I spotted Charlie heading straight for me at about 30meters . I must of clattered the rifle as I got ready to take the shot and 30 meters turned into 140 but Charlie did what they always seem to do and stopped to look over his shoulder before hitting the hedge , that was his undoing. So I’m sat here with my adrenaline still pumping, the urge to shit has subsided for the moment, with two dead foxes in the field with a load of vulnerable poults. It’s still dark and the night is not over . Photos and maybe more to follow. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Nice write up SL 

done the all nighter a few times my self and in most cases its be productive I would have emptied the dump on the field and let the fox get a whiff of that 

should bring a few in ? 

off to bed for you now mate 

atb 

• Thanks 1

Your dedication paid of well sl?
I’d of pissed myself if you pulled the trigger and did a tom tit?

my night was a car crash literally… must of been about midnight and there’s a crematorium next to where we were and all we heard was boy racer screeching about then a massive crash and bang.. f**k knows what he wrecked, I’m off to work in half hour I’ll have a drive through and see what happened.. needles to say no fox’s?

• Like 1

I was on my way home and I literally thought this is it I’m going to have an “accident”, I was sweating and my stomach was in spasm,  I screeched across the gravel drive and burst through the door and into the downstairs loo……. Heavenly!!!???

• Haha 7
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

I was on my way home and I literally thought this is it I’m going to have an “accident”, I was sweating and my stomach was in spasm,  I screeched across the gravel drive and burst through the door and into the downstairs loo……. Heavenly!!!???

Was it the "relief of Mafaking " or the floaty light experience ???

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

When I first moved to England I was managing on pig farms in North Notts. Had two lads on one farm Kev & Kyle (real names!) who didn't get on at all, fisty cuffs etc.  Used to wean once a week, busiest day of week & this time I had to put K&K working together. 

Got call off Kyle "Kevs run home shitting himself". Now I thought figure of speech, asked what's happened this time....?? "No gaffer, he's actually filled his pants in the tractor!!" Oh ffs!! Too many cans of monster! 

• Haha 2
44 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

When I first moved to England I was managing on pig farms in North Notts. Had two lads on one farm Kev & Kyle (real names!) who didn't get on at all, fisty cuffs etc.  Used to wean once a week, busiest day of week & this time I had to put K&K working together. 

Got call off Kyle "Kevs run home shitting himself". Now I thought figure of speech, asked what's happened this time....?? "No gaffer, he's actually filled his pants in the tractor!!" Oh ffs!! Too many cans of monster! 

I just don’t get that whole Monster stuff , all the young lads drink it . Not for me .

Up in the Borders yesterday , red hot but thankfully a 16 mph wind which meant no midges ? Spotted a group of 5 sika around 800 yds away but unable to sex them so I stalked into them but they vanished into the tall bracken.  I waited around 200 yards away on my sticks for about an hour when they eventually reappeared but sadly all Hinds ? Watched the other side of the hill til dark but once again only the girls appeared,  never mind I will be back in the rut. 

20210717_185235.jpg

20210717_200922.jpg

• Like 3