Back up at the shoot

5 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Well done SL ...as said scopes can take a hell of a knock that is why I always laugh to myself when a shot is missed and the guy blames the scope must have been bumped ????? In my experience it tends to be human error . I remember one night I was climbing over a gate and when I was at the top my sling snapped and the rifle bounced off the ground on to some rocks , like you I thought scope would be out but quick check and it was Ok. 

If it had been my Schmidt & Bender , I would have still been confident. But my Pulsar digisight is a heavy ungainly looking thing . I also treat it with kid gloves and don’t throw it around. So it’s the first time it’s been tested in that regard and it passed the rough treatment test with flying colours. But I’m still going to put a couple on paper just to be super sure .??

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Just weighed last night’s dog fox . 17 llb 8oz . Not my biggest but that is about as big as we seem to get them around here . And what a stinker.  I usually put gloves on when  I pick them up , because I don’t like the smell on my hands , and disease. But I’d run out of gloves . It took about five hand washes and a shower, and there was still a faint whiff. Old Foxdropper loves the smell , he likes to rub his smelly hands on his pillow he told me ……. It helps him to dream of breaking through to the Terrier’s on a dig . It takes all sorts I suppose. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Managed to get few acres hay cut today, so despite doing 13.5 hrs day (legend I know) went out for couple hours. Only saw the one, young dog at 78yds. Couple of ticks on him ?

I'm zeroed at my MPBR - must remember as this one was bit high!! ??

101137-EyePoppers-ZedCandy.jpg

20210713_224013.jpg

• Like 7
7 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Managed to get few acres hay cut today, so despite doing 13.5 hrs day (legend I know) went out for couple hours. Only saw the one, young dog at 78yds. Couple of ticks on him ?

I'm zeroed at my MPBR - must remember as this one was bit high!! ??

101137-EyePoppers-ZedCandy.jpg

20210713_224013.jpg

Good result Ben . 13.5hrs !!! Part timer ?

• Haha 2
On 13/07/2021 at 07:15, BenBhoy said:

Good going mate, that's efficency!

It's amazing the damage scope will take. Couple weeks back I was head back to car about 1am after being out. Totally forgot I'd parked a bale trailer by gateway- tripped over the hitch & properly landed flat on face, rifle smacked into dusty stony floor. Checked zero & still cock on!! Only damage scratch on mod & whopping bruise on my shin!! 

Try to get someone to video it next time. ?

• Haha 3

The rest of the birds arrived today. The game farmer held on to them for me so that they can be released in decent weather. They should have gone to wood 10 days ago so they were a little bit scruffier than he would have liked but I would rather that than release them to wood in the pissing down rain . All good so far . I’m sleeping in the truck next to the pen for the next couple of nights . If Charlie shows up he is in for a surprise.??

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

The rest of the birds arrived today. The game farmer held on to them for me so that they can be released in decent weather. They should have gone to wood 10 days ago so they were a little bit scruffier than he would have liked but I would rather that than release them to wood in the pissing down rain . All good so far . I’m sleeping in the truck next to the pen for the next couple of nights . If Charlie shows up he is in for a surprise.??

That’s some dedication sl.. I’m climbing the walls, one of the kids tested positive for COVID this week so I’ve spent most of it locked in with them… I’ve got in this government test daily and email them your results so I can in theory go out whenever I want but dare not leave them, they’re going round the bend.. the lads been playing darts today, tomorrow I’m gonna teach him how to plaster?

image.jpg.734f313610e3db3a66b8c5dbe81330f6.jpg

on the bright side there back to there mums tomorrow night and me mate who looks after a couple of small shoots asked me to help him out tomorrow night?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, si brown said:

That’s some dedication sl.. I’m climbing the walls, one of the kids tested positive for COVID this week so I’ve spent most of it locked in with them… I’ve got in this government test daily and email them your results so I can in theory go out whenever I want but dare not leave them, they’re going round the bend.. the lads been playing darts today, tomorrow I’m gonna teach him how to plaster?

on the bright side there back to there mums tomorrow night and me mate who looks after a couple of small shoots asked me to help him out tomorrow night?

I see he has keyed the wall ready for his plastering lesson ?. Good luck after Charlie. I’m getting my head down . I put the seat back in the Hilux, I’ve got a quilt and a pillow, zzzzzz . Then if a fox starts bothering the birds I will hear  it and be able to deal with it . ?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, si brown said:

2x grandsons ,granddaughter n son got it .1 brought it home n it's spreading like cheese 

• Sad 3

I thought I’d share the view from my truck this morning . I’m parked in the top corner with my back to the pen , which overlooks a 4 acre field which has recently been  cut for hay . 
        Apart from a badger and some deer it was a quiet night. I did however spot a fox which moved across the bottom hedge , but didn’t reappear, so there is one about. I dare say he will be along tonight. It usually happens on the second night . I’ve got to say these birds settled into the pen well and are back off the wire and by the look of it a lot are already roosting. 

A5FEB98F-7B01-4375-80EE-6F5FF157653B.jpeg

B80DCC6E-FD55-4C58-8D88-8C36D6CF661C.jpeg

• Like 7