Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Got up to cut silage last night about 9, still like midday mind!  Check all my kit before leaving, all good. Still though, had a niggling feeling forgot something, thought not put battery in pard but quick double check and all good.

As I come over crest of hill into cut field see a browny red shape mooching along hedge about 600yds..... bloody muntjac! 

Get set up on sticks & after everything settles I start calling. Get the XM30s out for a scan...... battery dead!!! NO!!! I I'd put it on charge but after getting home discovered I hadn't turned switch on at wall, schoolboy.

So now I'm scanning with the pard008. Saw one about 300yds away but no safe shot, stalking along edge of footpath. Gave a couple of calls but not interested. 

40 odd minutes later (still kicking myself about battery!) I spot another pard008 lrf clocks it as 389yds. Again no safe shot (not my favourite field this, very flat) but I just follow as it making steady progress crossing from my right to left. Eventually I know its safe to shoot where it is now, so just keep tracking waiting for it to stop. And she soon obliged. One empty vixen @ 178yds. 

I fuckeď off home soon after, still raging about the thermal! 

20210608_230929.jpg

• Like 8

I was always forgetting something, either on shoot days or going out fox shooting. So now I’ve got a laminated check list . Sounds a bit nerdy but it saves a lot of heartache and missed opportunities , and so far I haven’t forgotten anything. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I was always forgetting something, either on shoot days or going out fox shooting. So now I’ve got a laminated check list . Sounds a bit nerdy but it saves a lot of heartache and missed opportunities , and so far I haven’t forgotten anything. 

I don't  have a laminated sheet ? but have a mental checklist I run through. Rifle   bullets ,knife , camera , sticks , phone ,bins , caller depending on what I'm doing ?

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, David.evans said:

And a good shot to looking at the shot placement ?

Cheers David. Aye she dropped on spot & sounded soupy inside when I moved her! 32gn federal vital shok nosler 

On 07/06/2021 at 18:32, Stavross said:

.17hmr fodder on a warm evening ?

So long as there is zero wind.

On 07/06/2021 at 20:40, FOXHUNTER said:

Dont  think it is legal to shoot corvids on cut silage under the new GL as it's not crop protection, foodstuffs or livestock attack.

I am sure you can shoot them on silage because you know the same crows will shortly be on crop xyz. 

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

20210608_231016.jpg

Well done sonny, looks like you are progressing leaps and bounds from the days when you had to sneak up on foxes having forty winks in a field and shooting them in the swede with the mouse gun. ?

• Haha 2