Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

The night started with the collection of longshanx at about 6:45 and headed to the first farm, on arrival the old man was in the yard, shortly joined by one of his sons, we had a chat for a bit and we were pointed in the direction of a small wood with a field of oilseed rape in front of it, as we reached the edge of the rape I glassed along the edge of the wood and into a ruff bit of set aside. Within a couple of minutes two deer appeared from the wood and ran up the set aside, so we set off along one of the track in the rape towards the deer, stopping from time to time for a look about, where  I spotted another at the edge of the wood that soon disappeared back into the wood. Once we reached the edge of the set aside almost instantly a doe appeared shortly followed by a lovely looking buck, sadly this one was not to be, as the buck came into view he knew there was something wrong and looked over to where we were before moving off into the wood, although there was no prize at the end, this was a cracking stalk. Now it was time to try   the bottom of the wood next to the river, following the track round until we reached the start of the wood we came across a buck 90 yards away from us, broad side, longshanx readied himself on the sticks before taking a perfect heart/lung shot, dropping him on the spot, a perfect first buck for the long one ? now after unzipping the beast we had the half a mile carry back to the yard as some whopper forgot  the strap, getting back to the yard the lad was out checking if his grass was ready for its first cut, he came up and we were joined by the old man and the other brother, after another chat and orders placed for burgers and the likes we headed to the second farm for the last half hour of light, nothing to be seen here so we called it a night and headed home, a cracking night and one that will be remembered for a long time ??

33C5A775-8D12-4792-B2C6-45877D5B339F.jpeg

54648151-9EC0-4852-8869-E0E28F0C249F.jpeg

A61861EF-C6A9-491E-A92F-BDEE6417F0A2.jpeg

• Like 8
11 minutes ago, Stavross said:

The night started with the collection of longshanx at about 6:45 and headed to the first farm, on arrival the old man was in the yard, shortly joined by one of his sons, we had a chat for a bit and we were pointed in the direction of a small wood with a field of oilseed rape in front of it, as we reached the edge of the rape I glassed along the edge of the wood and into a ruff bit of set aside. Within a couple of minutes two deer appeared from the wood and ran up the set aside, so we set off along one of the track in the rape towards the deer, stopping from time to time for a look about, where  I spotted another at the edge of the wood that soon disappeared back into the wood. Once we reached the edge of the set aside almost instantly a doe appeared shortly followed by a lovely looking buck, sadly this one was not to be, as the buck came into view he knew there was something wrong and looked over to where we were before moving off into the wood, although there was no prize at the end, this was a cracking stalk. Now it was time to try   the bottom of the wood next to the river, following the track round until we reached the start of the wood we came across a buck 90 yards away from us, broad side, longshanx readied himself on the sticks before taking a perfect heart/lung shot, dropping him on the spot, a perfect first buck for the long one ? now after unzipping the beast we had the half a mile carry back to the yard as some whopper forgot  the strap, getting back to the yard the lad was out checking if his grass was ready for its first cut, he came up and we were joined by the old man and the other brother, after another chat and orders placed for burgers and the likes we headed to the second farm for the last half hour of light, nothing to be seen here so we called it a night and headed home, a cracking night and one that will be remembered for a long time ??

33C5A775-8D12-4792-B2C6-45877D5B339F.jpeg

54648151-9EC0-4852-8869-E0E28F0C249F.jpeg

A61861EF-C6A9-491E-A92F-BDEE6417F0A2.jpeg

What a cracking evening mate, you've got a beautiful bit of land and only 15 or so minutes from the front door. It couldn't have worked out any better, you know the land like the back of your hand and it paid dividends.

The Buck was an absolute corker for my first one and his head will be kept as a reminder of a brilliant rememberable evening. 

With the added bonus of pigeon shooting??

I'll be busy butchering and knocking up some burgers as everyone is asking for them, I must be doing something right? got to keep the landowners happy?

Thanks again for this evening topped off a fantastic sunny day. 

They say things come in threes and they certainly did today. 

Becoming a paid up member of the syndicate. 

First Roe Buck

And pigeon shooting perm on the farm. 

What a day????? buzzing ??

• Like 8
2 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Made up for you lads, well done! ?

Cheers ben and SL

I’m cuffed to bits for him, I think I’m right in thinking that the long one has shot his first fox, rabbit, roe doe, roe buck and pheasant with me and long may our adventures continue ?

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 4
10 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Well done lads ‘twas a great day out 

are them tracks in the mud off your new wellies stav ?

Atb lads 

I think I’m going to have to get an off road mobility scooter Dave, my feet are wrecked today, but it was worth it ?

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

Cheers ben and SL

I’m cuffed to bits for him, I think I’m right in thinking that the long one has shot his first fox, rabbit, roe doe, roe buck and pheasant with me and long may our adventures continue ?

I'm well jealous, good to have a proper mate to go on jollys with. Get the violins out for me!!! ?

• Haha 1

Brilliant night lads, it’s ace when it all comes together?
I’ve got a really good mate that I’ve known 30 odd year, we’ve trapped and poached since we were school leavers thing is he’s an early riser as in in the field an hour before sunrise and I’m the last light kid!

This was his reward this morning and seen as though we’re doing bucks this was my last one two Sunday's ago last light, I couldn’t see it with eyes thank god for thermal and good glass. 
589A853D-DF4B-4B41-BC0B-03BDA8B0621E.jpeg.b8bacf634af51d14585b5e26bd931877.jpeg27E4A340-3BD7-4081-88A1-46ED35C91746.jpeg.62de205b524ac2bfec80e0dc6127ac3e.jpeg

here’s to you two having some good hide days with the new land??

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Stavross said:

What’s that ginger bast*rd go hold of Si, piglet?

Yeah.... there must be some late Cubs about, it’s been taking a lot. 
my mate said to unit manager, is it worth £20... the fcuker just laughed at him?

it takes me about 3 days to recover from a morning out with him ??