Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Anyone have tips to stop scope fogging up? Out last night & occular on pard kept fogging (on outside). Kept wiping it but bloody annoying. Think it was mainly my breathing (my missus says that's my most annoying habit & she wishes I'd stop it!!). 

• Haha 2

Scope dope ,a little tub ain't cheap but works. Just a lite smear will stop your problem .

Or any motor bike shop will have little bottles of anti fog for crash helmets .

Or my lovely Mrs would tell me to stop breathing as yours askedyou to do , problem solved for her and the scope ?

• Like 1

Travelled up yesterday evening to my ground on fox patrol with my mate. Promised him a fox so no pressure ? Set up on a bank of gorse where I knew there was a vixen after shooting the dog the other week. Cub calls produced nothing and so did various other calls. Eventually after half an hour or so I switched to the good old young rabbit distress and had her coming in immediately ? Muted the call at around 120 yds and that was job done. The lamping was a nightmare as there was a full moon and it was freezing ? My sticks literally snapped and fell apart , torches were playing up and even caller remote froze ? Saw a few foxes but it wasn't to be , my mate did have a shot at one which wasnt ideal having to shoot off the car door and missed. 

20210522_213710.jpg

• Like 6
8 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Travelled up yesterday evening to my ground on fox patrol with my mate. Promised him a fox so no pressure ? Set up on a bank of gorse where I knew there was a vixen after shooting the dog the other week. Cub calls produced nothing and so did various other calls. Eventually after half an hour or so I switched to the good old young rabbit distress and had her coming in immediately ? Muted the call at around 120 yds and that was job done. The lamping was a nightmare as there was a full moon and it was freezing ? My sticks literally snapped and fell apart , torches were playing up and even caller remote froze ? Saw a few foxes but it wasn't to be , my mate did have a shot at one which wasnt ideal having to shoot off the car door and missed. 

20210522_213710.jpg

That last part of your report reminded me of that 300 yard fox off the door mirror that someone posted a few years ago on another forum, I don’t know if you recall Mark? Still, at least you got one, so a fair result , well done..??

2 hours ago, Dervburner said:

That last part of your report reminded me of that 300 yard fox off the door mirror that someone posted a few years ago on another forum, I don’t know if you recall Mark? Still, at least you got one, so a fair result , well done..??

I remember it well , what a load of rubbish it was. A lad who had never shot before apparently shot a fox at night at 300 yds off a wing mirror of the motor.  Not ranged   no experience and no allowance for range or wind , I could smell the BS a mile off ?

• Haha 2

I don’t seem to have as many squirrels about this year . The ongoing trapping and shooting seems to be having an effect. This time last year it seemed as if everywhere I looked a squirrel was running about. I’m still seeing the odd one but not in the same numbers . I’ve been out with some of the beaters and shot dreys too . Ive not done anything different to any other year really  , it seems to go like this , high population density, next thing not so many . We have ancient Beach woodland here which is being damaged by squirrels and so we get some money by way of a grant to control them . I noticed that we didn’t have much Beachmast last year and maybe this has impacted on their numbers?

• Like 1