Back up at the shoot

2 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Been going a year now this tread has, thanks to everyone who has contributed to it ( even Ben ) if I get a spare hour I might read it from the start, just to see how much nonsense is in it ????

I did that the other night mate , interesting reading ?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Stavross said:

Been going a year now this tread has, thanks to everyone who has contributed to it ( even Ben ) if I get a spare hour I might read it from the start, just to see how much nonsense is in it ????

tenor-1.gif

On 16/05/2020 at 12:46, Stavross said:

Back up at the shoot for the first time in about 2 months, mainly to see what needs doing as we have committed and ordered the birds, to say a lot is an understatement. First job is to sort the foxes out, not as much activity as I was expecting but I’ve found 2 active earths so far and ones been having a good old time of it snatching hens, now for a run over the other side to see what’s going on over there, before marking a plan as to what gets done first ?

1CC6714B-1C9B-404F-8D60-007212170A88.jpeg

939FA0FF-4BB9-4E51-B208-209F9F263728.jpeg

DD5F6655-9399-434B-910F-EE2E1DD54AF5.jpeg

Yerr, where it all started a whole year ago, and a great thread it’s been........and still is........??

.....and what a year it’s been eh’

• Like 1

Well , after my usual break from the shoot I am like the title to this thread “ back up at the shoot” now and back on the shoot payroll. I spent my first day back topping up hoppers and spraying some roundup around the pens.I also had a check for cubs in a few places , but nothing yet . I’ve had a cub in a Larson trap the other day so it was obviously hunting for itself, so it’s gloves off time and no quarter will now be given to Charlie. Here are a couple of pictures of wild garlic and bluebells you might like . 

E50F91EE-12E2-408B-A62A-260DC6E4B239.jpeg

3A23E5B3-9CB6-4101-8B1A-9EE75866FE7B.jpeg

• Like 8
23 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Well , after my usual break from the shoot I am like the title to this thread “ back up at the shoot” now and back on the shoot payroll. I spent my first day back topping up hoppers and spraying some roundup around the pens.I also had a check for cubs in a few places , but nothing yet . I’ve had a cub in a Larson trap the other day so it was obviously hunting for itself, so it’s gloves off time and no quarter will now be given to Charlie. Here are a couple of pictures of wild garlic and bluebells you might like . 

E50F91EE-12E2-408B-A62A-260DC6E4B239.jpeg

3A23E5B3-9CB6-4101-8B1A-9EE75866FE7B.jpeg

I can just picture a nice munty walking down that ride ?

• Like 1

Been filling hoppers here too (keep handful year round for wild birds). Hopeful this cover will help a few nest. I've convinced next door (arable) to rotate cutting they're margins too. Still catching in larsons, slowed down though and not as many crows as I'd like. 

20210517_172737.jpg

20210517_172536.jpg

20210517_172414.jpg

20210517_172406.jpg

• Like 8
On 03/05/2021 at 10:34, Stavross said:

I’ve just got in the car to take a few for baiting up, I’d say it was fragrant with a hint of death ?

Try leaving them in the garage for a week?, forgot I put them in there ready for skinning and jointing. Needless to say it wasn't a pleasant sight or smell, good job the Mrs never went in?

• Haha 1
On 02/05/2021 at 21:50, Stavross said:

Another go at the egg units/cricket pitch/ stables for the rabbits, bumped into the owner when I got there and he said go wherever you want, which was nice of him, I got the rifle out the back and realised I’d left my sticks up at the shoot last night ( bugger ) so free hand it would have to be, now I can’t remember the last time I shot without sticks and it showed. I still accounted for 19 in a little over an hour, missing a good half dozen, this place is a ferreting lads dream, every hedge back is just one big set, with access to both sides, when I was leaving I bumped into another lad who asked if I could clear the rabbits up at a championship football clubs training ground, so I gave him my number and with a bit of luck something will come of it 

80D1D7FB-2C74-4F50-8A0E-6DCDE58CA83B.jpeg

0F4275DE-3D89-400D-A35C-A00B68423FED.jpeg

1526B3D5-BEB7-4FA7-A415-43A308A522C6.jpeg

Nice going that, gone are those numbers for me, not that many about . Still nice to get out for a mooch.

Your like a permission magnet lately ?

I've been advertising on Facebook smallholdings, farms sites etc, so see what happens. Going to have to start knocking on doors again. 

I've got my fingers crossed for my father in laws golf course??

14 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

I've still plenty of the black twaťs knocking about, just not trapping. Had a few with the hmr though- same end result!! ?

Exactly the same here Ben, another Maggie this morning but no crows and rooks. There’s plenty out in the middle of the fields, hmr fodder like you say. Seems the only way to get ‘em at the moment ??

• Like 1