Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

I did wonder, no sign of shell anywhere around. Lots of crows, rooks and jackies in the area though? 

Still thought you'd see broken shells though..... Fox carried them away? 

• Like 1

You can tell an egg that’s hatched from one that’s been attacked by a predator. Look for signs that the egg was pushed out or pushed in . The nest site will have the eggs all over the shop too , if it’s been burgled. Fingers crossed they hatched ? ?

• Like 1
On 18/04/2021 at 11:58, FOXHUNTER said:

Shame you never got a result SL. I arrived at my ground at 6pm and immediately glassed a fox on a gorse bank out in the sunshine ? I got talking to the shepherd and he said he often sees a pair there so this is where I headed. I put the caller on and straight away a pair appeared and started play fighting with each other,  shot a dog fox 180 yds so a good start. I then went in search of a buck and bumped an old lad who made the mistake of stopping at the wood and looking over his shoulder,  awkward shot but I managed to drop him with a base of neck shot at 150 yds off my quads ? I then went lamping and shot a brace but did manage to miss 1 off the quads , complacency I think. So a great trip 3 foxes and a buck ?

20210417_185353.jpg

20210417_190222.jpg

20210417_201614.jpg

20210418_010014.jpg

That buck is clean !! All the ones I’ve been seeing are in velvet.

5 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Often see clean bucks here from Mid February onwards ?

I don’t doubt it . I saw several bucks in Northumberland, all in velvet. And bucks here in Gloucestershire still fraying . Interesting how they vary from place to place .

3 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I don’t doubt it . I saw several bucks in Northumberland, all in velvet. And bucks here in Gloucestershire still fraying . Interesting how they vary from place to place .

Old bucks clean first followed by youngsters.

Wooohoooo, finally got a foot in the door at a place I’ve been trying to get on for a few years now, it’s egg units, stables and a cricket pitch, I’ve been working here for about a year on and off, I’m now landscaping after the build has finished, putting a lake in and raised beds around the house. After putting the beds in today I was talking to the owner about the amount of rabbits and to my surprise he said can you shoot them ?still haven’t got the fox shooting but give me time ?

854E9DD3-719F-463B-B21D-56079A7FC7F3.jpeg

ED572B2A-0BB4-4A04-9963-98A3F6D248C4.jpeg

• Like 5