Back up at the shoot

The night out on the shoot looking for foxes drew a blank . We covered 1000s of acres of big fields interspersed with woods and gorse  banks , perfect fox habitat, but only saw one fox and that was running as fast as its legs would carry it away from us in the distance, some 500 yards away . I was disappointed but only really because I was keen to shoot one through his Pulsar thermion xp50 , and here how good his JetZ moderator compares to my wildcat . Maybe next time ? 
            I did a spot of sea trout fishing on one of the rivers on the estate that is a tributary of the tweed . There was an 8.5lb fish caught last week, but unfortunately for me the Ghillie said there needed to be a bit more water and not so much sun , but I did spot a dipper . Another blank . Maybe next time ? 
          I have however enjoyed my time in Northumberland and look forward to a return visit . 

• Like 5

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Shame you never got a result SL. I arrived at my ground at 6pm and immediately glassed a fox on a gorse bank out in the sunshine ? I got talking to the shepherd and he said he often sees a pair there so this is where I headed. I put the caller on and straight away a pair appeared and started play fighting with each other,  shot a dog fox 180 yds so a good start. I then went in search of a buck and bumped an old lad who made the mistake of stopping at the wood and looking over his shoulder,  awkward shot but I managed to drop him with a base of neck shot at 150 yds off my quads ? I then went lamping and shot a brace but did manage to miss 1 off the quads , complacency I think. So a great trip 3 foxes and a buck ?

20210417_185353.jpg

20210417_190222.jpg

20210417_201614.jpg

20210418_010014.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Had a night on the foxes ,well two nights really .Don’t like killing them this time of year but farmer been asking several times so out I went .First time alone ,second time with a member off here .First night I managed 3 ,all dogs on the chicken farm I do .Shot one in the act of eating a chicken that had been shut out .

FB16C10D-F7B2-4B9C-8168-8FB5DE008CC4.jpeg
Next two were called from afar out of woodland .

7F26A5B4-BD19-42EF-A9CE-F836D5266C1E.jpeg
last night we were out at a place where the farmer ,a women on her own had had a goose go missing presumed had by a fox and rest of them were very scatty considering they used to chase the postman ,lol.

All called from what I call a dry stand ,nothing seen to target .Mate shot very well with his blazer in .223 

3E2F5F9C-C05A-4C3E-9E3A-3D9BAC8A0935.jpeg

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Shame you never got a result SL. I arrived at my ground at 6pm and immediately glassed a fox on a gorse bank out in the sunshine ? I got talking to the shepherd and he said he often sees a pair there so this is where I headed. I put the caller on and straight away a pair appeared and started play fighting with each other,  shot a dog fox 180 yds so a good start. I then went in search of a buck and bumped an old lad who made the mistake of stopping at the wood and looking over his shoulder,  awkward shot but I managed to drop him with a base of neck shot at 150 yds off my quads ? I then went lamping and shot a brace but did manage to miss 1 off the quads , complacency I think. So a great trip 3 foxes and a buck ?

20210417_185353.jpg

20210417_190222.jpg

20210417_201614.jpg

20210418_010014.jpg

Is that where we went mate .Lovely spot that ??

• Like 1
On 13/04/2021 at 19:10, Stavross said:

So I had a walk around the sheep farm as the farmer said the pigeons were hammering a small field of oilseed rape ( I didn’t have the heart to tell him that if they are still on the rape your crop is sh*t ) anyway it doesn’t look good at all, set myself up under a tree and they did the usual, one bang and they all buggered off. I managed 3 for 9 shots ( I tell a lie, it was 8 shots,I shot a bolting rabbit as well ) which is good for me with a shotgun, plenty of deer slots and a bit of fox poop ? so I think I’ll have an early evening walk out over the weekend ?

A1801C29-6B4C-446A-92D8-B5D3AFEA6401.jpeg

FC9475A9-3376-46EB-B911-B8A0A6445F02.jpeg

Looks like they are under starters orders?

30 minutes ago, Longshanx said:

I think the whole deer will be getting minced at this rate?

I’ve just minced a couple of rabbits with the.223 without the need of your mincer, just got to get past this gang of rebels to go home now ?

25E3D81B-34AC-4951-872B-54A9B408624B.jpeg

• Haha 1