Back up at the shoot

30 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Was planning to just sit out overlooking the lambing fields at the back of the farm, but decided to go for a walk about while it was still light 

Would still take the .243 mate...would hate to pass up a buck.

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

I’m up in sunny Northumberland at the moment. Me and Mrs’s SL have been invited to stay on my mates shoot in one of the gun lodges . I can see why he left Gloucestershire and moved up here , it’s absolutely stunning. We have had a bit of a day out , called into Berwick on tweed and down to Holy island . The shoot itself covers 6500 acres with another two shoots of 10,000 acres that is owned by the same operator. They have pheasant , partridge, duck and grouse and there are also 200 or so English partridge that are breeding in the wild . The bird life up here is prolific, I counted 43 Curlew this morning in one field , and more hares than I’ve seen in my life . There is a large population of roe on the shoot but no other deer species. I am out foxing tonight, my mate says the foxes up here are a lot bigger than the ones in Gloucestershire , I’m looking forward to that . I’ve been out on his rearing field and he has just had his first chicks in last week . But the problem is that the nights are so cold -3 at night, so the water is freezing in the pipes and not defrosting until mid morning, luckily there has been enough water in the drinkers , but his arse has been nipping a bit . He showed me the doc traps he has set , I’m going to get a couple and try them out , but you wouldn’t want to catch your fingers in them they are powerful. 

B294EA3D-65FA-4814-933C-8843A5CF5512.jpeg

83D4C971-654C-42BC-A40A-3EEDC13DD38A.jpeg

87BD648F-8270-452A-9FE8-66425F71254D.jpeg

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

We have plenty curlew and lapwing up here [BANNED TEXT] , see them all the time.

Yes I saw lapwing too , and oyster catchers. I’ve not seen them this far inland ( 5 miles) , but they are on all the flight ponds and marshy patches .

45 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Yes I saw lapwing too , and oyster catchers. I’ve not seen them this far inland ( 5 miles) , but they are on all the flight ponds and marshy patches .

Think your mate should be alright up there, it’s more people who enjoy the countryside rather than deranged lefties and hippies!

there’s a remote wood at one of my places with a fish eagle.

thought it was a fox at first cos it was so big but it was twighlight and a fair way off through the thermal, it was next to a fence post.. one huge flap and it was on top of the post.. I put the scope on it gathers that much light I could clearly see what it was. 
after a bit of geeking I worked out what it was and it’s a descent age by the dark colour band?

• Like 1

Picked up some more gear to chuck at foxes today, seems we might be responsible for America’s ammo shortage ? reading the bumf on them they are man stoppers in the urban environment, they certainly do the job, the .223 likes them and at 18 quid a box they are at the cheaper end, which makes me happy 

BC5EF365-0EB9-4DFC-9D95-580397A32997.jpeg

4B61D00B-63DB-4B02-B9BB-8AED35BB71F2.jpeg

E75E9760-944F-4F6D-8200-D7F9F6BC7431.png

• Like 1