Back up at the shoot

13 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Popped out this evening to try and open my buck account. Stalked the copse where I know an old buck frequents as I've seen him 3 times now. As I skirted the copse I spotted a doe coming through the cover with the buck in tow . I actually had the crosshairs on his neck but a farmer appeared in the next field on his quad checking the sheep and was directly behind the buck , so no shot on , the deer spooked and off they ran. As light was fading I spotted a young buck but he was inside a thick bush, against better judgement I had a shot as if you don't try you don't t get. Anyway my bullet struck a branch and off ran roebuck unscathed for another day. No luck at the moment. 

20210412_201331.jpg

If you don’t have a go, you don’t know ? I’m off up to the sheep farm where we took that buck last season, see what’s about and show my face 

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Stavross said:

If you don’t have a go, you don’t know ? I’m off up to the sheep farm where we took that buck last season, see what’s about and show my face 

I always try and make things happen which has served me well on many an occasion,  no point in wondering what if ?? I might try again local tonight ,luck will change eventually it always does ?

• Like 1

So I had a walk around the sheep farm as the farmer said the pigeons were hammering a small field of oilseed rape ( I didn’t have the heart to tell him that if they are still on the rape your crop is sh*t ) anyway it doesn’t look good at all, set myself up under a tree and they did the usual, one bang and they all buggered off. I managed 3 for 9 shots ( I tell a lie, it was 8 shots,I shot a bolting rabbit as well ) which is good for me with a shotgun, plenty of deer slots and a bit of fox poop ? so I think I’ll have an early evening walk out over the weekend ?

A1801C29-6B4C-446A-92D8-B5D3AFEA6401.jpeg

FC9475A9-3376-46EB-B911-B8A0A6445F02.jpeg

• Like 4
9 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Shiny clean creep feeder! How's his lambing got on?

It looks like it’s gone well, plenty of chubby lambs about, he’s got a field full of black lambs I meant to ask him what’s gone on there, normally he only has the odd one mixed in with the rest

FBAAD257-E9B8-4B65-BAB3-7035A1AC20D0.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I was wondering if they had been segregated away from the white lambs ?

Safest option, otherwise they'll start cussing the Shepherd & walking with some bad ass swagger!! 

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Just had a lovely stalk into a roe buck at the sheep farm, just to see how close I could get to it, dam you.223 if I’d of brought the .243 things would of been different ?

I left me flask on the moor the other night when I went to pick up a fox and forgot it... so went back for it next day and took the 204 just in case there were any daytime Cubs about and there were two roe in the field where I’d left me flask?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Just had a lovely stalk into a roe buck at the sheep farm, just to see how close I could get to it, dam you.223 if I’d of brought the .243 things would of been different ?

Dont understand why you dont always take the .243 when theres a chance of roe. I would only take the .223 lamping.

22 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Dont understand why you dont always take the .243 when theres a chance of roe. I would only take the .223 lamping.

Was planning to just sit out overlooking the lambing fields at the back of the farm, but decided to go for a walk about while it was still light