Back up at the shoot

33 minutes ago, si brown said:

I shake with the trigger sticks, ive missed fox's sat down with the rifle in them.. ive kicked the fcukers round that many fields im surprised they still work.. they live on the back of the truck as an emergency backup for when I forget the quads!

they come back in the house cos I dont want them nicking  ?

I’ve always struggled with quads, I’m ok if I’m waiting in one spot where I know where it’s coming from, even before the trigger sticks I always just used twin sticks 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Farmer rang to say drillings are in and crows on them so I went this afternoon in the freezing wind and not a bird to be seen ?. Seeing as I was there I decided to set up anyway and see what happens. Very slow afternoon but the birds that did come decoyed brilliantly and I shot well missing only 2 birds ?

20210405_154454.jpg

20210405_175844.jpg

• Like 8

Well that was chilly ? had a walk around some fields that I haven’t been on for a long time, took the little cz .17 with me and managed to bag 6 rabbits, also found a lot of foxy evidence along the gutter, followed it and found an earth on the boundary, so left it a snack, I might have a go at that in the coming weeks, there’s no live stock around there so no biggie if I don’t get it, it will wait until combine, good fun going after them when they are on the fields cutting the corn

85EE91F5-2636-451F-B414-87E4CDBB712F.jpeg

0DAF35AA-8706-4FED-9F20-E88DD6546E1D.jpeg

• Like 3

Well went squirrel hunting in the crappie weather and ended up watching a calf birth instead. 

Set off in icy winds walking the hedgerow as the snow began to fall much commotion as a cow gave birth.

But no maternity ward here ,mum promptly cleared off leaving her shivering wet calf in the lurch.

Quick call to warn the farmer and I kept watch awaiting mums return and the farmers arrival. Luckily when he got here he " persuaded " mum to accept her calf and using a bit of French herded them into a barn out the snow n wind.

An otherwise exciting incident in a dead loss hunt as no show from squirrel or bunny but at least I got to play call the midwife 

Ignore the "sunshine" it's still snowing here now 2 hours later .

IMG-20210406-WA0000.jpeg

20210406_173312.jpg

• Like 6

Thought I’d give the shoot a go this evening, I arrived a good 45 minutes before my mate and when I pulled in I was greeted by a lovely looking roe buck, having a bit of time to kill I thought I’d have a walk towards the piggeries drive to see if I could see where he went, sure enough he popped out just at the end of the ride, a very smart looking beast. After watching him for a few minutes I walked the back of the pen on my way back to the farm to meet my mate, shooting a couple of tree rats on the way with the little.17, back at the farm I gave my mate the .17 and I picked up the.223 and we headed down the edge of the oak wood. He managed 5 rabbits all at good distance, give him his due, he’s shocking with a centrefire but he don’t miss much with a little rimmy, after calling for an hour and not seeing anything we headed back, now I’ve been asked to thin the hares out up here because the farmer has said they are doing a lot of damage and there’s a lot of them, I don’t normally shoot hares this time of year and to be honest I’ve just let them be over the last few weeks, telling the farmer I’ve taken a few, but as we entered the field at the back of the farm my mate counted 9 all towards the centre of the field, so I decided to take one to show I was doing what was asked of me, looking through the wraith I could see they were at least 200 yards but I’d have a go, picking one out I gave the trigger a squeeze and bang flop down it went. It took a second for the thud to get to us, so I thought I’d pace it out, 268 of my paces, the .223 has definitely surprised, considering I said I’d never have one I’m pleased I got it 

just a heads up, I’m expecting an ianm style write up from Ben, he’s had a cracking night ?

E054D3EF-C42F-4E8C-BE91-BCA364474AC0.jpeg

• Like 4