Back up at the shoot

At the shoot tonight to see if we could shoot a few more rabbits around the farm, we managed 6 in about an hour so I’m guessing there’s not quite as many as I’d been led to believe. After a bit of bunny bashing we went for a walk to see what was about, I took the .223 with me, with the intention of having a call, I wish I’d taken the .243 almost as soon as we set off we came across a roe buck and then another, 5 minutes later, getting to the bottom of the farm there was 5 fallow slowly making their way up the field away from us. By now we had lost the light and set ourselves up 85 ish yards away from our boundary with next doors shoot, setting the caller away with pheasant distress we didn’t see anything until my mate switched the call to cub distress, within a minute we had a heat source coming through part of next doors wood, it reached the edge of the trees and stopped, looking straight towards the caller it gave me an almost side on shot and down it went. Now I didn’t go and pick the fox up because it was ether a 15 minute walk or crossing a large gutter in the dark, my mate said he’s up there tomorrow so he’ll go and get it in daylight 

48E5F3ED-EDD3-4D77-A1A1-BF39D3811840.jpeg

5267EE9E-0EF6-4703-8D9B-078EAB76A6C2.jpeg

• Like 5

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Did you use them quads mate?

No mate, they are the rattling chop sticks my mate uses, they have led to no end of misses or spooking animals when he clatters them when moving, no matter how hard I try I can’t get him to use anything else, one day I think they may be involved in an accident, possibly ran over ?

• Haha 3
50 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

The buck wouldn't have minded being shot with the .223 ????

Where the buck was the .223 was more than capable, but rules is rules ? now we are getting the lighter nights the .223 will get fewer outings, replaced with the .243, a tool for every occasion ?

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Stavross said:

No mate, they are the rattling chop sticks my mate uses, they have led to no end of misses or spooking animals when he clatters them when moving, no matter how hard I try I can’t get him to use anything else, one day I think they may be involved in an accident, possibly ran over ?

I ran me mates over, he left them propped up against my motor and when I drove off i squashed them?

I was out with him a couple of nights ago and he pulled off some cracking shots off his Jim shokeys, he said im glad you ran them fckin things over!

ive got shockys but im shite with them, but I can shoot off me quads no problem!

get him to tape some pipe lagging to them, that'll stop the clattering about ?

I’ve tried the pipe lagging thing and he’s having none of it, I’ve tried him on the trigger stick and he says he can’t get away with them, if he mounted the gun properly in his shoulder he’d be fine

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’ve tried the pipe lagging thing and he’s having none of it, I’ve tried him on the trigger stick and he says he can’t get away with them, if he mounted the gun properly in his shoulder he’d be fine

I shake with the trigger sticks, ive missed fox's sat down with the rifle in them.. ive kicked the fcukers round that many fields im surprised they still work.. they live on the back of the truck as an emergency backup for when I forget the quads!

they come back in the house cos I dont want them nicking  ?