Back up at the shoot

Bit of a bonus today, working just down the road from my mates farm and the concrete lad would be running late so I chucked the shotgun in the car and went for a walk about for an hour, it’s very rare that I ever take the shotgun out and this showed in my shooting. I did manage a couple of woodies for a fare few shots, I was helped by the fact they are now paying no attention to the banger at all and the stiff breeze blowing across the wood, the hares are running around like lunatics, love is definitely in the air

6DDD0D2B-5B60-43A1-888B-1147C0FDB250.jpeg

• Like 5

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Bit of a bonus today, working just down the road from my mates farm and the concrete lad would be running late so I chucked the shotgun in the car and went for a walk about for an hour, it’s very rare that I ever take the shotgun out and this showed in my shooting. I did manage a couple of woodies for a fare few shots, I was helped by the fact they are now paying no attention to the banger at all and the stiff breeze blowing across the wood, the hares are running around like lunatics, love is definitely in the air

Well done mate. We about done lambing, few stragglers to mop up so I'll be getting more  chances to do the same. Always try hit crows hard over next couple months (put 3 larsens out today). Favourite time of year. 

• Like 3

Had a wander out this afternoon round the shoot in search of a roe. I had to go right to the boundary and work back up through the wood to keep the wind right. I stalked through the wood at a snail's pace as its difficult stalking and eventually spied 4 roe but they were in next doors field. There was a mature doe , a yearling doe , a 6 pointer and a buck kid who was in poor condition with a broken back leg that he couldn't put down. So I watched them for around 1/2 hour hoping he would move my way but unfortunately they headed the opposite way. Hope I catch up with him soon to end his suffering.  Saw plenty wildlife including a barn owl hunting which I squeaked in to about 6 foot from me. Saw a brace of grouse,rabbits, hares ,pheasants, lapwings , golden plover. A nice afternoon for a stroll. If you zoom in on the 2nd pic you will see the roe skylined.

20210225_152719.jpg

20210225_155021.jpg

• Like 4
23 hours ago, Stavross said:

You can't beat a walk about with the shotgun, I'm the same as you though miss more than I hit??

If I'm bored on Saturday or Sunday morning I just take my shotgun for a walk for an hour around my perm with 3 oak trees, if I had a dog I'd take that as well? man I miss having a dog?

Edited by Longshanx
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Longshanx said:

You can't beat a walk about with the shotgun, I'm the same as you though miss more than I hit??

If I'm bored on Saturday or Sunday morning I just take my shotgun for a walk for an hour around my perm with 3 oak trees, if I had a dog I'd take that as well? man I miss having a dog?

I bet it’s hard going with 3 oak trees....they must be bleddy heavy . Did the dog used to help with the trees??

• Haha 7
3 hours ago, Dervburner said:

I bet it’s hard going with 3 oak trees....they must be bleddy heavy . Did the dog used to help with the trees??

3 hours ago, Dervburner said:

?, that's what I call a certain part of my permission? Stav knows the one. Tell you what, a dog like that would take some bloody feeding, it would have to be the size of an ox ?

Well, there’s a weekend to forget, Friday night, up to the sheep farm, the moon was like daylight and the wind was all wrong for where I wanted to be, seen nowt. Yesterday’s plan was to go and get longshanx a roe, couldn’t go where I wanted because the keeper was out after them there so we went to longshanx’s place, seen nowt ( but it was a nice walk out at first light. Tonight my mate asked if we could go up to the shoot because he’d been there today and seen evidence of a fox, so I met him there just before dark, he asked if he could shoot, now we’ve had problems in the past and he’s served a couple of bans. We headed over to the piggeries and had a call for an hour or so in a couple of different spots, nothing showed so we moved to the rear of the farm. Started with the hare call and after 15 minutes pheasants started going mental in the wood, switched the call to pheasant distress and in two minutes a fox appeared at the wood edge, he’s up on his quad chop sticks ( I still can’t get him to use trigger sticks )the fox was moving down the wood towards us, he’s having to lift his sticks to follow it, it go to within 110 yards ish and I switched the caller off to stop it, he let one go and missed, then in quick succession another 2 as the fox trotted off down the wood side, another 2 missed, it was like he was shooting driven boar, he then said, “ I rushed that last shot” I couldn’t say anything, I was that annoyed ?, he’s looking at a lifetime foxing ban for this 

• Sad 3

I used to have a couple of lads come “lamping “ foxes on the shoot . They all talked a really good shot , and sometimes they did manage to pull off some impressive shots at long ranges too . But they always let themselves down by missing easy foxes , and missing regularly. It was always a joke to them and they would take the piss and have a laugh ....... but I wasn’t laughing!!! 
             I take the job seriously . I stopped taking people out and if there are any foxes missed it’s me who misses them , and I just get annoyed with myself.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Stavross said:

I’m still boiling now, if I ever let him shoot again it will come with one condition, that before we go out I can snap them dog sh*t sticks he insists on using 

We all miss that's life but it gets annoying when it becomes regular. He probably just gets excited which is understandable but doesnt improve much if you're not shooting foxes regularly.  I haven't shot a fox for about 3 months and when I eventually see 1 again will be so excited God knows if I will be able to shoot ?????

• Haha 2
35 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

We all miss that's life but it gets annoying when it becomes regular. He probably just gets excited which is understandable but doesnt improve much if you're not shooting foxes regularly.  I haven't shot a fox for about 3 months and when I eventually see 1 again will be so excited God knows if I will be able to shoot ?????

I don’t mind a miss but it’s when they rattle another 2 at it and miss, paying no attention to where they are shooting, just over excited about seeing a fox and pulling a trigger 

• Sad 1
30 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I don’t mind a miss but it’s when they rattle another 2 at it and miss, paying no attention to where they are shooting, just over excited about seeing a fox and pulling a trigger 

That’s the sort of thing that can end in tragedy ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1