Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, ianm said:

273 yards with the 223 eh!

Who paced it out Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage)?

Yeah, I couldn’t believe it, I shoot with a single red dot on the wraith, I put the dot just above it’s back and down it went

I’ve just had to google who Peter Dinklage is ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

I have no problem taking foxes over 300 with the .243 and the vortex scope, I’m still getting used to the .223, it’s the first time I’ve had one, but I like it so far as a night time rifle 

What weight bullets are you using?

I use the 50grn Vmax in my .223 . My Tikka seems to shoot them ok . I have thought about trying different weights and brands just to see if there is anything better . But these bullets kill very well , dropping them on the spot , they very rarely put big holes in them , very often you have to really look for the entry hole . I’ve just bought another 100 off spud1967 , so I will be on them for another season. 
            I have shot a fox at 285meters at night , that’s the longest . I used Mapulator and my LRF and split the difference , no dwarf paces ?. But that was at a tricky one , who wouldn’t play ball . I’m more comfortable at half that distance and even more comfortable at around 60or 70 . 
            Is it just me or are foxes getting more clued up ? Are we seeing Darwin’s theory in practice? Where only the very shy foxes are surviving to breed . I remember foxes coming right in almost to my hand and shooting them with a shotgun. You wouldn’t do that around here now . I went woodcock shooting in Cornwall with a famous fox shooter who claims to be able to charm foxes with his squeaks , he told us not to shoot any foxes as they were all “ film stars “ . He then demonstrated his calls a few times bringing foxes in really close , he proudly boasted that he could make a fox do whatever he wanted. His calling was no different to what I can do , and it’s just that the foxes around there are hungry and not under pressure . He might have impressed the gullible people he takes out but I had my own opinions. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Good post SL. I also remember when I started calling and shooting foxes some 30 years ago , every fox used to come trotting in with a hand squeak.  Definitely different ball game now as back then foxing wasnt really that popular not like now where  it is a fieldsport in it's own right . There are lots more fox shooters now ,therefore foxes naturally have adapted.

• Like 3