Back up at the shoot

17 hours ago, Stavross said:

Well the birds are fed and looking at where they are, we’ll be shooting 4 main drives on Saturday. Making up the rest of the day with a few small drives. Just as the light started to break through the forestry block I had two cock birds properly going at it in front of me, they don’t half make a racket in full battle mode. Much of the cover in the hard wood plantations has gone now with the cold weather and endless rain, so these birds have moved into the thick cover around the farm, beating these small areas out is a nightmare as the brambles are so thick and hide some big holes, so before you know it you are on your arse. 

DDBD8866-918C-4262-981B-1A8BE22EFE49.jpeg

00F1DCE6-30ED-4930-9350-96269592508F.jpeg

Tell me about it, the hidden holes are feckin lethal, thought I'd bust a rib one season in the triangle ? made an awful popping sound under the rib cage. My left leg went down a deep hole and my whole torso bent to the left about 90 degrees . Probably looked like a bad yoga position if anyone had seen it?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Longshanx said:

Tell me about it, the hidden holes are feckin lethal, thought I'd bust a rib one season in the triangle ? made an awful popping sound under the rib cage. My left leg went down a deep hole and my whole torso bent to the left about 90 degrees . Probably looked like a bad yoga position if anyone had seen it?

Now you have been a few times you get to learn the land and when you are beating you can get yourself in a better position and leave the ruff for others to fall in ??

• Like 1

Took dogs earlier to a place I do and noticed the geese were there .150 plus .Gave them a wide birth and after dropping dogs back home went down with the .223 for a go at a head shot .Closest I could get was about 200 yards ,they were starting to get bit noisy and a few were walking further away .On sticks and picked a goose facing me .Put the cross hairs on its chin and bowled him over nicely .The rest came over my head just shotgun height .

If this bird eats well I’ve plans to get a few more bit more sporting .

Edited to say the shot placement says the birds were quite a bit further than 200 .

F8B1D4FC-CEF0-440A-82C1-86D44A94876E.jpeg

A754F82B-CBFD-4668-A088-C3211D191A52.jpeg

• Like 5

A lad that used to come out with me would squeeze the beak at the top, if he could squash it he’d say it was a young one and take it home to eat, if it was hard he’d say it was an older bird and it would be like eating an old wellie boot and take it for the dogs, I don’t know if there’s anything in that or he was just mugging me off

On 13/12/2020 at 14:56, Dervburner said:

Well, this thread has made 100 pages now??

Bit off topic but I’ve just seen derv’s post and had a flick through the thread, 102 pages of mostly mindless nonsense ? well done lads ?

Edited by Stavross
  • Haha 3