Back up at the shoot

36 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Stav 

you might think I’m taking the piss but I’m not WEAR a harness up there mate f****n about in the dark 

atb 

There’s harnesses at the bottom, connected to fall arresters, it’s a lot higher than it looks in the picture ?

• Like 3

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Dave ( Walshie) 

lve just clocked what you have done , your defo abusing your status ?

and I’m making a official complaint to  Ian 

this kind of behaviour will not be tolerated and these accusations are defo 

slanderious , deification of my good standing character, I am thanks to you now left right open to hate Mail from all the different class of topics on this site 

you off my Xmas card list ??

• Haha 1

Feeding this morning and I’m starting to make a dent in the feed shed ? it’s very wet up there, when I arrived the sun was just rising and it was a tropical 4 degrees, by the time I had got loaded up and over the far side of the shoot ( piggeries) the cloud/fog had come in and the temperature had dropped to just above freezing ?. The birds seem more or less where I’d expect them to be after the over feeding carry on, I’ve made another feed area in one of the drives that will hopefully put the birds up a little earlier and send them well above the trees and I’ve done away with a couple of feeders to try and get them roosting a little closer to the farm

65608587-19F5-460D-B285-56308EF4CC78.jpeg

E1D343CD-C967-4ACB-8241-9CFF1E29F288.jpeg

33D7F5EA-AC3D-43DF-9A9E-B945F388F687.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 3

A couple more from this morning 

considering how cold it was, it didn’t seem to stop the dog walkers, I had to ask 2 to put their wild beasts back on a lead and explain myself about why there was 2 dead squizzers on the front of the bike

it was good to see a few birds around the forestry pen drive as this is one of the drives that was massively over fed and the birds seemed to of wandered off from here

5A40D364-EF0D-494C-89CB-F728B98EA1D3.jpeg

6137A655-7907-4E8A-8914-D2EA712F0C56.jpeg

9229E846-3EC5-4875-B24C-3E7EC3D6048E.jpeg

• Like 6

Talking of squirrels, me and a mate have had 13 off a feeder that I set up a couple of weeks back. I took it down yesterday as I’m going to relocate this one. Action has slowed down and it was in a fairly small wood. This was the last squirrel taken, and the only one to show in two hours.....

2F5308E6-DA87-4E46-BB33-2EFAAD6DA740.jpeg

• Like 6
37 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Talking of squirrels, me and a mate have had 13 off a feeder that I set up a couple of weeks back. I took it down yesterday as I’m going to relocate this one. Action has slowed down and it was in a fairly small wood. This was the last squirrel taken, and the only one to show in two hours.....

2F5308E6-DA87-4E46-BB33-2EFAAD6DA740.jpeg

Shot nine more today . It's been a good year for them.

• Like 5

Night mare last night .New place for us .Spot a fox ,give it a squeak from 300 yds and it’s running in nicely .Rifle on sticks already .

The field was wet as hell and I felt the sticks sinking so pulled them out the mud only for them to come apart at the bottom joint .The mare starts here .Hurriedly put them back together in stealth mode ,fox still coming in .On them again and again they sink ?.I’m learnt over like the hunchback of Nortre Dam .

The rear eye piece is now fogged on the pard so quick wipe and I get mud all over the lens from putting stick back together ?

Another hurried wipe with sleeve and sort of better .Fox is now stood at no more than 20 yards .I’m on it sort of and I’m afraid I fluffed the shot .Hit it but not mortally .Spins around and then jogs off back to the forestry it came out not stopping last minute as they mostly do .Followed the general way it went  to the wood which is still on perm .

Could see fresh tracks down the ditch up the other side and there is what we think is the fox under a bramble thicket .Can’t see it in the pard as there too much  foliage so mate shines his torch and I take the pard off .Just eyes for me but mate says that’s him .Bang flop thank f**k that’s over .Mate goes in and f**k sake it’s a medal muntie I’ve fblown the head off .

We searched  for 3 hours eventually widening the search  the other side of this 100 m wood strip and there it is ,not a mark on it stone dead .No sign of a hit just a war wound from fighting .

Hard  won but number 140 .

This for me high lights the reliance on thermal and nv I’m now having .Old school lamp would of picked out the muntie no probs and chance of another shot at the fleeing fox .Field of vision too small to get on a moving target with NV .

Sacrifice one thing for another I guess .

B87AED77-F902-4015-83AA-1DE34BFE54EF.jpeg

• Like 4